Author Topic: Profab Yamaha 500  (Read 27691 times)

cblyx6

Profab Yamaha 500
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:44 am »
Hello,

As promised I said I would be posting p in a few days, I have a Profab / Aberg HL500 replica.   I found this bike a few days ago and purchased for $500 USD. ( not for sale )

Here is where I am at with this bike, I been wanting to build a Aberg replica for some time ( thats what led me here ) and I just happened to luck on to this Profab Bike. Now I am in a rock and a hard place, I want to build this bike to ride, but I dont know what the true value would be if restored period correct and I dont want to do anything that would diminsh the value.

I am at the moment considering powder coating the frame and side cases and the magura lever perches. Bead blast the aluminum, and pipe, then just giving the bike an overall cleaning.   I have the correct tank on the way, bought some NOS period correct fenders, and new seat cover. Kinda need to know about the rear shock, ( Ohlins and the correct length)  have found a couple of vendors that can set them up for my weight,

Anyways  I need some expert advice as to the value, and then some of the technical data such as eshock length, oh yea ,one more thing, I noticed the swing arm bearing is loose on one side, maybe if anyone knew the Yamaha part # for the swing arm bearing, it would sure save me a whole lotta reasearch. 

Any and all advice welcome,  

THanks

cblyx6

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Profab Yamaha 500
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:38 am »

restore it, there quite valuble
theres been 2 or 3 profabs/hallmans  on ebay usa  in the last year or so  one nicely restored one went for 15000  us dollars and another basket case went for around 6000 there was another for sale in nz that the guy wanted a  15000 for  but that one was in terrible condition  i have a few pics  and i sold mine for around 12000  aus dollars which i have pics off if you want them  plus i have the original hallman 3 page instruction sheets that came with the kits  i will try and email you a copy .paul
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:34:50 am by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:04 am »
ill have a look through the computer and see what ive got

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:21:08 am »

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:24:03 am by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:33:55 am »
this one was in nz but he wanted enough to retire on in hawawi
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:35:29 am by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:38:26 am »
another in the uk

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:40:10 am »
my old one

and he wont sell it back

husky61

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:52:00 am »
Hey Paul

The fellow that purchased your HL was at our Vinduro on the week-end. It still go's and looks sensational.

Can you scan and send me that info in your post. ([email protected] or [email protected])

Picture attached of our HL.

Thanks

Shoey

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:53:54 am »
thanks shoey  im going to offer him a 490 maico  straight swap  see if i can get it back lol .do you want the hallman pages if so give me a fax number if you have one [email protected]  btw it will take me awhile   there in the garage somewere
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:57:42 am by paul »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:54 am »
Claude, the swingarm doesn't use Yamaha bearings. I replaced mine using bearings I bought at an everyday bearing supplier. They were standard sizes and didn't cost a lot. There are two per side and I think cost me $15 AUD each. Failing that, Geoff Morris Concepts here in Oz sells stuff for HLs, but his is based on the UK NVT HLs, so  am unsure of detail differences between them and the ProFabs.

Here's Geoff's catalogue:

http://www.ozvmx.com/market/gmc08.htm

That's an excellent buy you've got there, and it looks in great condition too. The only real 'problems' I found with my ProFab are the airbox thing - as you can see yours doesn't have one, and the need for a decent chain tensioner. Oh, and if it is using TT500 footpegs, replace them with something with some meat on them.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:48 am »
this is on the mark hollaway site  us swap meet
HL Yamaha

I thought that i could put this off but the economy has caught up to me, being retired and having my money in the wrong places don't go well together.

1977 HL Aberg kit frame and swing arm the real deal i have all paper work. the frame has been powder coated it has a 540 motor with new top end Shell cam and piston and new valves and springs work being done by R&D Springs motor has not been fired needs a PVL ignition.

Bike has new fenders and seat cover has gas tank but it needs a little work before painting also has Simons forks and ProTaper handle bars and newly mounted side covers.

The bike is ready for the finishing touches. $9500.00 obo which is low for this bike.

If interested in buying i can email pictures the end of this week.

Thanks.
     David Tellez
Thousand Oaks, CA
Phone: 661-904-5093 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:05:47 am by paul »

cblyx6

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:22:46 pm »
Hey ,

thanks for all the great info, I got another problem at the moment, started taking the bike down for frame prep, and got hung on the swing arm, does anyone know how to remover the swingarm bolt, I was thinking it to be a one piece, but after looking and studing, it almost looks as if it is like a head stud bolt. 

And would anyone be willing to guess what type the front forks are?

Graeme, I do have the aluminum pieces that make the air box, and I wasnt for sure if they were original equiment, I will try t oget a pic of them and post up, also I was going to build some like ones on the bike RJ rode.  I thought they looked way cool.

Regards,
 Claude

Tony T

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 01:39:30 pm »
my old one

and he wont sell it back

That's a nice photo. Who took that?  ;) ;)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:06:03 pm »
curtosy      barrossa photo co

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:12:31 pm by paul »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »
Tony, that's just sad!!!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"