Author Topic: MotoGP; one brand tyres for '09?????????  (Read 3353 times)

mx250

MotoGP; one brand tyres for '09?????????
« on: September 29, 2008, 03:51:58 pm »
Hadn't even heard a hint or suggestion but...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Sep/080928b.htm

mx250

Re: MotoGP; one brand tyres for '09?????????
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:55:29 pm »
"For safety and cost reasons,..." Now that sound like complete ingenuine BS if I have ever heard it ::) -  the 'motherhood' claim ::).

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Sep/080928a.htm

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 04:07:37 pm »
 If they've suddenly decided it's a good idea, but there's only a week to get your submissions in, you can bet your clacker the decision's already been made by the corrupt, blazer-wearing Spanish clowns that run the show. Happily, I'm not bitter.... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »
Isn't loyalty a wonderful thing in this modern world. And it is really amusing that the teams most vocal in their disapproval of the single-tire rule have suddenly changed their minds because they have been caught on the wrong brand [or so they think].

Michelin have dominated the premier class in world road racing for 25 years. Then they have 2 not so great years [very possibly due to poor input from the very riders that now bag them] and suddenly every factory rider thinks the grass is greener over in the Bridgestone camp. It was only a few years ago that they [Bridgestone] were the second choice of those who couldn't get ahold of the GOOD Michelins. How times change and how short are the memories of the decision makers. Those same factory riders didn't mind that the privateers [remember them] got tires that were 2 seconds a lap slower. But put 'them' at a perceived disadvantage and the dummy spits start.

What is really interesting is Honda bowing to the demands of that petulant, perpetually scowling, little spainard and his manipulating manager to break a contract [and relationship], in mid-season, that has endured for a quarter of a century and delivered unprecedented success. It just goes to show how desperate Honda is to keep him happy - which is funny because traditionally they have viewed riders in the same way what Ferrari viewed drivers - ie. as disposable commodities. Most recently evidenced by their attitude to Rossi before he jumped ship to Yamaha and really rubbed their noses in it.

It all comes from the Sonny Bill Williams school of morals and standards.

It is really short sighted, but the new tire rules will force all the teams to put up or shut up. Funny how in a few short years MotoGP has gone from being the pinnicale of two-wheeled motorsport development and diversity to being a bit like a slightly faster version of World Superbikes with far bigger egos.

Racing really is a strange business, I think they should get out in the real world occasionally and see just how good they have got it. Then again the world economy might force them to do just that.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

mx250

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »
An interesting read VMX. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. It might just be me but I get the feeling that they have lost the 'edge' and are desperately trying to get it back.

I wonder what the viewing audiance figures say. Even to me, an avid fan and viewer since SBS days, I have been lossing interest in recent times and have literally 'switched off' a number of times. Nothing calculated, just found it all too predictable and boring with no dicing anywhere in the field.

Remember the big promises in switching to MotoGP; more manufacturers, more bikes, more competition +++etc etc. What did we get ::).

If they were really interested in cutting costs and adding competitiveness they would heave ho the electronics.

If it wasn't on pay TV I would take more of an interest in WSB's. Even BMW is joining the fray over there, and with Troy Corser riding for them. That should add some spice ;).

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:02 am »
Hey MX,
I agree they have lost a bit of their edge, but I am sure they will come back bigger and better than ever. Not that it will matter if they don't get the 'single tire' contract.

The MotoGP viewing audiences are shrinking as well, for the reasons you outlined, the racing is usually crap. It seems that like top line Supercross, MotoGP suffers from the riders constantly seeking perfection.

In Supercross the tracks are set up to reward perfection and don't reward agressive or 'heart in the mouth' riding. So the riders end up racing the track and not each other [to a large degree]. In MotoGP with all the new electronic aids, the riders corner with a blind commitment that the electronics will make it OK. It again doesn't reward agression, it rewards commitment and confidence in the bike/electronics which means that most of the riders are again racing the track and the clock not each other.

The old 500cc racing was so unpredictable because the riders weren't sure where the limit was from lap to lap, and the machines were so unruly that they couldn't get close to the limit for the entire race distance. That category also rewarded agression and heart in the mouth passing - it also punished that kind of riding by ejecting the pilot in a usually spectacular highside.

Now World Supers are the exact opposite. Close and unpredictable racing. Great characters and enough interesting technology. Gets my vote all the time. They seem to have found and maintained the right balance between interesting machinery and providing a quality spectacle.

And as you say, now they have Corser on a BMW. My only dissappointment was the BMW didn't commit to a bike that is really different and radical. I understand their reasons but it would have really shown up MotoGP as a bit of a technological stillwater [with the exception of electronics/traction control].

I am a bit sad that Troy Bayliss is hanging up the helmet, he is worth the price of admission on his own.

As for WSB being only on Pay TV, unfortunately I won't subscribe as I go out of my way to encourage my kids to watch less TV not more. But if it was back on free to air, then it would be my first choice every time.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:37 am »
It's a furphy to continually blame 'electronics' for lack of passing, the 21litre fuel limit makes the electronics necessary just to finish the race.WSB run basicaly the same electronics as do AMA superbikes.Motocrappy's biggest hurdle is the lack of entries and the perception it's all biased toward Rossi* and anything Spanish*.Single make tyre rule will effectively determine podium, as that isn't 'control' tyre .Lots of racing sufferes from no passing these days, I agree with Peter Clifford(defuct WSM/Red Bull team) 4 speed gearboxes will make things interesting.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Yamaboy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:15:51 am »
Errrr Lozza, Rossi's Italian. ;)
I may be on my own here but I think the racing was far closer and exiting when it was 500cc 2 strokes. Look back over tapes from Wayne Gardners '87 season or some races from Mick Doohans era and then tell me I'm wrong. Just like the V8s, F1 and even motocross, improving technology doesn't necessarily improve the racing. One of the excuses used when to introduce the MotoGP concept was that it'd intorduce new teams and corporate involvement. What have we got?
Bugger all new teams that mean that much and the same old sponsors. Nothings changes except the cost of putting a team on the track. The tyre situation VMX42 describes is a smoke screen hiding a deeper problem.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:41:07 am »
Anyone seen next year's F1 cars with the new aero?  They look stupid!

...all in the name of equality, even though we know already which teams will be up the front; as usual.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:18:03 pm »
There still the fastest bikes on a track and i cant wait they sound awesome and wheelspin around most of the island track shit hot plus the oz support events should be a good weekend anyone else going to the Island ???.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:25 pm »
YZ HILLY   I WENT LAST YEAR , CASEYS LEAN ANGLE INTO THE LAST CORNER ON TO THE STRAIGHT WAS NOT EQUALLED BY ANYONE. 

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »
Yeah he was miles ahead last year not so this time around .i like watching Westy slide on to the straight that Kwaka sounds awesome .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

mx250

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:15:08 pm »
Phew, phew, phew. Sacra Blue!!!!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/081004a.htm

Sorry Fat Man, but you weren't gonna get the contract anyway :P.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 09:45:18 am »
Geez Yamaboy after watching Rossi race just about every GP and reading every race report I never realised he was Italian ::)
You are correct about the number deeper problems mostly that rule changes and technical details change on a weekly basis.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Yamaboy

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:41:11 am »
Well done Lozza, I see you've corrected your previous post. After watching yesterdays race I think it backs my toughts that the sport is becoming boring and predictable. The Perth Supercross was equally as dull. Maybe it's me getting silly and expecting to be as entertained as I once was. I find it all so uninteresting these days.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:43:35 am by Yamaboy »