Author Topic: 83 KX 500  (Read 6847 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
83 KX 500
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:27 pm »
I have just aquired a 83 KX 500. I bought it sight unseen, the price was right, hey, how bad could it be?
Bloody hell, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
It's missing the rubber boot that fits inbetween the airbox & carby.
It's also missing the airbox & carby.
Allthough I did find the slide & top to the carby in the box of bits.
At least the kick starter & countershaft sprocket aren't welded on.
It's missing the kick starter & countershaft sprocket 
It's missing the front brake caliper & master cylinder
as well as numerous bolts.
It's missing the chamber, don't know where I'm going to get one of them ;D
The rear shock has no resevoir & doesn't look like it ever did. I'm sure the KX would have come out with a resevoir so I don't know what the shock would be from.
It's missing the rear hub, clutch & clutch & flywheel covers allthough he reckons he still has these in a box somewhere & should be able to find them when he finishes moving house.
"It used to run" he assures me & it used to jump out of second.

It came with the rear rim, but it's not the original & in the box of bits was a sprocket with a cush-drive attached, so I fear the hub (if he ever finds it) may not be the original, allthough the sprocket may have ended up in the box by accident, so can any one tell me if this backing plate looks anything like the original?

It has a steel liner fitted & the barrel appears to be 87mm. What was the original bore size & how hard is it to find oversize pistons for this model? Piston has 040 on top.

What models can I pinch a master cylinder & caliper from that will pass for pre 85?

Where can I get parts diagrams for this model? I have used MR cycles in the past but they don't go back to this model.

Anyone have any spares for this bike?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:56:20 pm by GMC »
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: 83 KX 500
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:15 pm »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:20:11 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

mx250

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24:19 pm »
Hmmmm, I'll do ya a favour, I'll double ya money for ya; I'll give $100, now, cash, folding stuff ;D.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:50:24 pm »
Use these guys for your plastics...

http://www.nightmare-racing.com/index.html
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Doc

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:41 pm »
Geoff you are ambitious! I've built a few bikes starting with less so I can't be too hypocritical now can I :D uploading an '83 parts list as I type. Will take about 45 minutes before done I guess. 70mb in total but browsable as individual pages once done. The link is at the bottom of my post beside the words 'vintage reference Here'  browse the 'Vintage Kawasaki Manuals' Folder ;)

edit: all done an' with a few minutes to spare..it's easier to use the 'Details' veiw to find what you want ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:43:20 pm by Doc »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:54 am »
Hmmmm, I'll do ya a favour, I'll double ya money for ya; I'll give $100, now, cash, folding stuff ;D.
Unfortunatly it didn't come that cheap, close though.

Thanks for the links guys, they were very helpful, allthough you were all responsible for bringing production to another halt ;D

I have been wondering about the Nightmare stuff, they look the goods. Has anyone used them? Are they injuection moulded or vacuum formed?
What's their colour like? Not that I'm all that fussy but can they be mixed with originals without looking out of place?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, I will wait till the end of the year to see if the guy can find the other main parts & then I will decide.

If nothing else I have enough of it that I can now jig a pipe for this model.

Maico31

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:35:05 pm »
Geoff I've got a set of Nightmare plastics on my '84 KX500 and they are very good quality and glossy and the colour is good.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »
Well done Geoff,

The '83 500 is arguably one of the best looking Kawasakis ever made, and you know how we all love a good project.  The rougher it is when you start the more we like it ;D ;D ;D.  Make sure you keep this thread going with progress pics - even if it takes a while.

Look forward to watching progress (along with everyone else).
Cheers
T.J.B.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:05 pm »
backing plate looks right 8)
the 83 84 85 86 calipers and master cyl were all the same 250s 500s and poss 125s
if you cant get a kickstart fit a kx250 alloy 1988 to 1992 or kdx250 fits straight on
but you have to groove shaft and fit circlip to hold on works ok mine has been on for 2 years 8)
later model 500 pistons are the same diameter if you cant find one
fly wheel cover is same as late models
shock will be the hardest thing to find
i have a few parts i will see what i have ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:20 pm »
A few more words/comments to add.

"backing plate looks right"
The small roller bearing fitted to the backing plate for the torque rod is a standard line item from a bearing shop, amazing the spacers are still avaliable from Kawi. The bronze bush in the plate will be rooted. There is an off the shelf bronze bush avalaible from a bearing shop that has the correct ID but the OD is to big. I have made a mandrel that allows you to machine down the OD to the correct size, will pass on all the details if needed.

"the 83 84 85 86 calipers and master cyl were all the same 250s 500s and poss 125s"
The 125's have a smaller diameter piston, although they are externally very close to the same dimension and will bolt up.

"if you cant get a kickstart fit a kx250 alloy 1988 to 1992 or kdx250 fits straight on"
Or you can fit the complete late model shaft and ratchet system from a water cooled 500. Be carefull using a kickstarter that is shorter. Have seen plenty of hard start issues from a lack of leverage resulting from a shorter kickstarter.

"later model 500 pistons are the same diameter if you cant find one"
Be very carefull using a late model 2 ring piston. The bottom ring will poke ever so slightly into the port. Easy fix is to use the 2 ring piston with only the top ring fitted. It's not as if a slight loss of compression will hamper one of these monsters.

Nightmare plastics are top quality and look the goods and more importantly don't need an engineering degree to get them to fit.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:47 am »
Progress report update...
Moved it to the other side of the shed so I don't trip over it as much.

Thanks guys,
If the backing plate is right then theres a good chance the hub will be right, if he ever finds it ???

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 05:10:02 pm »
give newcastle bike wreckers a call i got a few parts from them not so long ago it used to be called the wreckery hang on ill get u the number.....4950 2444 and the rear shock i was in broken hill last week they had a 250 this model wrecking shock should be the same ill try and find there number he is pretty cheap on parts, the newcastle guy knows how 2 charge.

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
let me quess will you make the pipe....  :

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 01:00:45 pm »
Geoff,
Finally got around to taking a pick of the 83 500. When i get a chance i will take some detailes shots of the 84 and post them up along with the specifications that you have asked for.

Bahnsy

Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:56:39 pm »
That's a nice looking KX Bahnsy, you've done well.
I see you have resorted to some photography tricks. The background is often overlooked when taking a photo but you have chosen the background well with the intention of enhancing the beauty of the KX by parking it in front of a sea of ugly yellow ducklings ;D