Author Topic: Circlip on countershaft  (Read 4281 times)

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Circlip on countershaft
« on: June 10, 2024, 08:06:39 pm »
Is it alright if the front sprocket is held on by a circlip instead of the nut? Just noticed this on my RM 400 when I've come to replace the countershaft seal. The nut seems hard to find these days which is why I think it's there instead of the nut when it was rebuilt.

Offline PeterC

• C-Grade
  • Bultaco MK 11
    • View Profile
Re: Circlip on countershaft
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 08:38:24 am »
If the workshop manual, showd the front sprocket being held on by a nut (most adult sized bikes use a nut and lock tab), you should definately use the nut. A motorcycle dealer shouks stock a nut. Allowing the sprocket to move or come loose can lead to catastrophic faikure if - engine cases and or sprocket shaft. I would strongly recommend following the factory fastening system.
Thumbs Up!

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 04:16:24 pm »
Just a circlip? err noo. A bit of frame of swingarm flex and you have a hell of a lot of side load on that circlip and ....Pop bang, cue the tears as cases dont like a shaft being jammed at 8000RPM.

09140-22006 is used on a few bikes including the rear axles ;)

Nothing that special about it and you can still get the slotted washer ex suzuki.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 07:00:28 pm »
If it has a nut, most surely the countershaft needs to be pulled hard to that side by the nut, so that all the gears sit in the correct position.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 08:04:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Have found a nut.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 09:23:29 am »
This is getting a bit old now but I only lust read it. Circlips are use on a few different brands with success and the one that comes to mind are the Narrow case Maico's including the 490's. The biggest problem going with a clip on a motor designed for a nut is keeping the oil in as the nut is generally used to pull up against a sleeve that the seal runs on and without it the oil find a way out but it will negate the need to oil the chain ever again. I did once against my advice machine a circlip groove into a KX250 shaft after the thread had stripped to keep it working and I didn't hear anything bad happened. A better repair would be to weld the shaft end and re-thread it but that is a difficult repair.

Offline PeterC

• C-Grade
  • Bultaco MK 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 09:28:26 am »
Keep the "outside of the box" fixes coming. As the bikes get older we aften have to resort to alternative fixes to keep the bikes running.
Thumbs Up!