Author Topic: Workshop floor paint?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Workshop floor paint?
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »
Im considering painting the floor of the workshop for a nice finish. Can anyone recomend a good product to use? or not to use?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop floor paint?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Well--ummm, it was 50 years ago at work [m/cycle shop] & we used to use [i think] Solpar Paint [spelling] Used to pour it on & broom it around, maybe push it around with a big rubber strip broom thingy like pushing the cow shit to one corner of the cow yard to scoop up. Damn good hard wearing paint it was. No doubt long gone now but something equivalent must be out there. Just googled it & no record of it & i thought google knew everything lol. Maybe i got the name wrong. Keeps coming up Solar but maybe the modern version.

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »
May be a couple of weeks too late, but Aldi had garage floor paint for sale about 3 weeks ago.  Should be good quality and cheap. Maybe some stores have stock left still??

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »
Well--ummm, it was 50 years ago at work [m/cycle shop] & we used to use [i think] Solpar Paint [spelling] Used to pour it on & broom it around, maybe push it around with a big rubber strip broom thingy like pushing the cow shit to one corner of the cow yard to scoop up. Damn good hard wearing paint it was. No doubt long gone now but something equivalent must be out there. Just googled it & no record of it & i thought google knew everything lol. Maybe i got the name wrong. Keeps coming up Solar but maybe the modern version.

Probably Solver- used their floor paint as well. Adelaide company and still around.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:25:37 PM »
Taubmans SOLPAH paving paint, although it comes up as in NZ.Wattyl own Taubmans and also White Knight , all have paving paint and more than likely the same recipe.This stuff would be cheaper than the heavy wear paints.
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
Yeah SOLPAH [not Solpar, i cant spell for S@#t] Here's a link to the NZ site & i see they mention a non slip additive which i hadn't thought of but we probably 'had that' in what we used to use at work.
http://www.wattyl.co.nz/en/find-the-right-product/exterior/ExteriorSpecialty/TaubmansSolpahAcrylicPaving.html

Offline ralph311

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Non slip is good. Some of those paints are diabolically slippery when wet, especially if you have smooth finish concrete. Both my old dogs hurt their hips slipping on a painted floor, even with grit in the paint.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Cant remember what we used at bike shop but all ways wiping, watch if you park car with warm tyres they stick together on most products.
Boss at bike shop bought from bunnings. If home workshop may be cheaper? to put down vynal?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:33:41 AM by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina