Author Topic: Info on 1981 KDX 175  (Read 8444 times)

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
Info on 1981 KDX 175
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:00 pm »
Hi - just after a bit of advice on my 1981 KDX 175 that I was given at the end of last year.

I have a thread over on the vinduro forum here:

http://vinduro.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=2112.0

Its regarding a loose kick start shaft and possibly worn kickstart ratchet teeth that means the kickstart isnt engaging every time that I go to kick it.

Would love to hear your thoughts if you don't mind a  bit of a read.

Cheers
Steve

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Info on 1981 KDX 175
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:16 pm »
I had a 175 myself that I rode in Vinduros for a while, sold it now and run a 250
The 175 was a great fun bike, they weren't all that rare, they made them for about 3 years depending on what country info you look up but they are all basically the same.

I think the kick start dogs are fine but its hard to tell from the picture, the missing washer goes over the shaft so it won't fall through the hole, this will effect the tensions on the spring etc, its only thin maybe 1mm

The bolt holding the kickstart knuckle looks too long, its not catching on the case is it?

The clutch washers are probably to increase the clutch spring pressure to stop a slipping clutch, with bush engineering you never really know if they are needed or it was misdiagnosed as the problem.
Grooves in the outer clutch basket fingers often cause sticking plates.

I stock a few Kawasaki parts, I have replacement rear guards and headlight shrouds in stock, maybe cables, I would have to check the 'warehouse' to see what is still there.
I think I have a spare frame still, it may have the sidestand lug on it still, will have to check. You would need to find someone to weld it on the frame for you.
Finding a sidestand will be the hard part.

The wheels don't normally fall off, old mate should have been afraid of working on it, not from riding it!
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:06:16 pm »
Hi GMC

Thanks for your post. So im hoping the missing washer at the end of the shaft will tighten it up. There is a groove at the top where it looks like a washer should be on further inspection.

The bolt on the kickstart is long but its not catching.... The knuckle was but they've ground it down so it doesnt. I thought maybe the bashing might have bent the shaft but it looks straight. I should get rid of it and get a proper one.

My brother in law who gave me it is a metal worker, welder etc so should be able to get something welded on. I have seen a few second hand stands ones on line - or I reckon I could get one from my local wrecker. He assured me they would have all the bits....he said allow yourself a few hours to search for them though!

Definately interested in a rear mudguard and headlight shroud if you happen to have them.

I was a bit suspect about his story of the wheel falling off but he was adament.

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:05 pm »
Thinking about it some more I'm not sure the washer affects the spring tension, will have to study one again to think it through, it should engage every time though.

With the cover off and the spark plug out you should be able to swing the kickstart by hand quick enough to watch it in action to try and work out the problem.

I started mine once by hand, but only to give my son the shits because he couldn't start it.

Once you get it sorted check out the VTR rides, info elsewhere on this site

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:37:41 pm »
Thanks. Good idea about taking the plug out and cranking it to see whats going on in there. KDXGeoff said that with the case on it should tighten it up so the cogs engage but unfortunately it isnt.

Would love to go out to Braidwood or Yass seeing as they're both just down the road from me.

Cheers
Steve

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:33:07 pm »
Looks to be a fairly simple set up if the teeth are in good nik, can only be the spring.

See that spring #92081A
 well thats what pushes the two bits with the teeth together and if it gets weak  then the teeth wont mesh all the way.

I figure a  wider spacer 9022E, could sort the issue for awhile but a new spring would be better.

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:31:10 am »
Thanks Pokey, makes sense. Will try and source a new spring or a wider 9022E spacer.

Cheers
Steve

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
I do have some rear guards and headlight shrouds in stock and a throttle cable. They are DC and will need to have holes drilled in them to suit.
Rear guard $ 90.00
Headlight shroud $ 80.00
Throttle cable $ 33.00
Postage $16.50

Offline CHYNA

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:06:13 pm »
Hi Steve,

I had major issues with my KDX 175 kick start. I snapped the kick start shaft. I have now totally rebuilt it from new parts from Canberra Motorcycles and was able to get a new kick start shaft from the US. Also got a kick start from I think from UK.

I located in Chisholm if you ever need any help give me a yell.

Cheers

Garry

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 08:00:02 am »
Hi Chyna

Ive sent you a message.

Cheers
Steve

Offline SteveACT

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 10:07:51 am »
This bike is now for sale on gumtree and facebook VMX Vinduro resto and rescue page if anyone is interested.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-city/motorcycles/kdx-175b-1981/1231687955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlH1kz5GI6Q&t=2s

Sad I didn't get to give it a good ride but it has to go.

Cheers
Steve