Author Topic: Facebook page calling all mature age riders together.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Facebook page calling all mature age riders together.
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:08:12 pm »
Hi Guy's,

I am finding many older age dirtbike owners that are leaving their bikes in the shed, there are a multitude of reasons for this, some of these matters can be addressed to get them out riding again.

I have started a Facebook page 'Australian Motocross Riders Over 30', yes it has the word motocross in the heading but I guess it is also directed at trail riders & vinduro riders that use to ride motocross but do no longer.

It is not about bashing MA or their LCB's (Local Controlling Bodies), or clubs, it is not to be critical of whether you prefer modern or vintage, race or recreation riding.  I think it is time we all came together to give riders what they want at a cost we can all afford.

Could you please like the page and also invite dirtbike owning friends in so that we can get them out on their bikes again 'To make the sport strong again'.

Many express dismay towards MA and some LCB's, if we all come together we can then have some chance to direct our paid & elected governing body. If we don't get organized, ride parks will cause the extinction of a single powerful voice that is our controlling body. Failing the hard task of trying to steer the existing controlling body may see us create another that is more in touch with riders?

Sure there will be some riders that are happy with the way things are currently operating, of course, the people that leave the sport are the ones that are not happy!  The peak period for dirtbikes was the 70's & 80's, that would make those riders in their 40's, 50's & 60's ........ so where are they now? ....... and why are they not bringing their Children & Grandchildren along for the ride?

Please do not hesitate to offer friendly, constructive help or advice, thankyou.

Regards, John.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook page calling all mature age riders together.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:12:42 pm »
hey, john point them to VERI to get them out for a low stress ride. get the urge happening like...

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:14:33 pm »
I'm not being critical John just stating an observation.

You say the peak period for Motocross was the 70s and 80s.

I disagree for me (not as a rider) it was the 90s and early 2000s.  I was the Series Coordinator of the Shell Advance/Sunshine State MX series in Qld in that period.  We had put Supercross in it's place (not on MX tracks) and had a steady growth in rider numbers during this period,  The Thumper Nats and in Qld ThunderX series were very popular etc.

My point is it isn't just about getting Veteran's classes it is also about the tracks as well.  Older guys like to race on Natural Terrain tracks.

Also for myself as a rider the mid to late 70s was a great period, but that was because I was in my twenties.

Yes old riders want to race, but even in their age groups other riders complain.  Eg several clubs in SEQ have Veterans but they have to grade them, because they are racing against riders like Peter Boyle and James Deakin etc

I have said it several times dealing with old farts is worst than dealing with Junior parents.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:17:44 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
l guess we can agree to disagree on the peak period. I was running race events and racing in the 70's & 80's, l remember entries had to be in early before classes were filled. We had to run multiple heats of C grade just to get through them all :-)

I agree regarding tracks, that is part of the reason for the page, as many Vet riders do not like (or can handle) modern tracks. Maybe we have start calling it 'scrambling' to define the style of tracks that we want?

Natural terrain is good but Vets & novices can handle ski-jumps but steep ramp table-tops and step-ups and step-downs is too modern, sure l can ride them but l refuse to ride them with other riders of various skill levels.

Dealing with Vets can be a little critical but if you pay attention to track design & costs you will keep most happy :-)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:32:08 am »
In Queensland at the peak of the Sunshine State series we were averaging 400 riders per round for a eight round series.  Also from 1995 to about 2005 we had at least one Queenslander win an Australian MX or SX Championship a year.  The first Queenslander (ever) to win an Aust MX Champs was Micky Cook in 1995.

The ThunderX series had Veteran's classes with five year age groups up to over 50s.  We are reviving this year with a Queensland Veteran's MX Championships with five age groups,  35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-59 and 60 and over.

https://www.nominate.com.au/mcycle/NominateMe.aspx?EventId=915&EventType=12

It would appear a lot of Veterans don't necessarily want to race but do like to be at a race meeting.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:19 pm »

We are reviving this year with a Queensland Veteran's MX Championships with five age groups,  35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-59 and 60 and over.

It would appear a lot of Veterans don't necessarily want to race but do like to be at a race meeting.

Love the idea of the age group racing; l may even have to come up from Vic for it :-)

l agree about Vets not wanting to race but want to be included in the race scene, l think recreation sessions and/or bike displays should be included at Vet meetings.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:13:51 am »
l changed the name to 'Australian Motocross Riders Over 45', if you're under 45 you're a kid ;-)

Offline supermotomc

• C-Grade
  • SWM ktm, dealer mechanic 1977-1995
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »
if your under 70 your a kid !!