Author Topic: GS 490 for sale  (Read 4436 times)

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
GS 490 for sale
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:39:49 pm »
Hi

After much agonising, I have decided to sell my 490.  It is on eBay.  The description is:

Maico 1981 GS 490   -PVL ignition,. Mikuni, Technoflex shocks, new fork springs, Close ratio gearbox new from Guus Mulders (less than 50 hours on it), cylinder resleeved to standard bore, pipe and silencer from Vintage Dirt in the US, good tyres, newish clutch plates and washers, kick start knuckle OK  (not great but good enough) not much else to say.   I have had this bike for over 10 years now and have anguished over selling it - but I need the space and the money - downsizing !
I have all the red plastics to go with it if the buyer wants as well as a 77/78 RM125 tank that I was going to put onto it but never got around to it.

Anyhow it is a great bike - it is hard to start - it shouldn't be because of the mikuni and PVL but I think it is too rich and the carby needs some fine tuning  - you can notice it when I take it down the coast from Canberra -   it - absolutely flies at the lower altitude - almost a guarantee holeshot machine !

I make no apology for the colour scheme either !   -I happen to like yellow and blue - and as a GS - it is never going to be a genuine MXer - just built up to be a fun and fast race bike.

I am selling it because i need the money for other projects - I am building up a XC mountain bike and would like a 77 CR125 - there is no accounting for that - I just always wanted one !

I don't know how much bikes like this are worth - so I have just guessed !   I will see what the market tells me.

anyhow if anyone has any questions about it - just give me a call - 0402 890 038 or email

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: GS 490 for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:34:23 pm »
Hi Lex,

Do you have Gus Muulders contact details - I did have them somewhere but seem to have lost them - bugger !!!

Cheers,

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:59 am »

Hi

the link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250286391437&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123

G'day Dave

The last time I tried to contact Guus about a new Bing Gerry Brink responded.  That was in late 2007

here is Gerry's contact:   Mulders Maico Parts [[email protected]]

regards
Lex

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:27:48 am »
has the frame still have the alloy  tag on it

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:05 pm »

No - the alloy ADR tag is not on it.  It is lying on a shelf in my garage.   I didn't want to paint over the tag and so 30 seconds work with a drill on the pop rivets has left me with a clean tag.  That is where I got the manfacturing date and frame number from.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:59 pm »
lex....the maico....leaving your stable....my world is collapsing....end of'n era and all that....sniff.....

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:18 pm »
Hey Lex,

Thanks for the link which will be followed up asap - it would be good to get in touch with them again. by far the best stuff available and they don't rip you off.

Now to the question of the 77 CR125. Does years of law do that sort of thing to sane rational men? From the mighty 490 to a 125 with wings on the tank ???

Know what you mean though - if you want it you have to go for it!

Cheers and thanks again !!!
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:52:55 pm »
  Law certainly does strange things to apparently normal people - but having had Maicos on and off since 1974 it doesn't seem to have affected me at all.

That little CR125 I just couldn't afford at the time - couldn't sell that coffin tanked 1971 Maico MC250 in time to get one of the new shipment of Red Devils a friend of the family was bringing in  - and I have always felt like a I missed out on a great opportunity

- and I also need to fund a new mountain bike - 5 day races around Alice just are too hard on stuff that doesn't work.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:04:35 pm »
Well, young Twisty, these things happen. But Lex is gonna get a 77 CR125! Another Pre 78 125cc, woohoo. All the best people and all that - Noel, Nathan, etc. And now Lex. So, flog off that boring old 86 CR250 and get yaself onto a 125, preferably a Pre 78 at that, and go have fun. You know you want to.

By the way, that 490 is a great bike. When he can get it going, Lex always has a good time with it. Is that the same one you won the Clubman class at Rockley that time, Lex?

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 02:25:43 pm »
Unfortunately , I had a brand new CR125M3 back in 1977 . It wasn't half as good as a RM125B & I have always regretted not spending (my dads) extra money to buy the Suzuki instead . As a wide eyed teenager, I thought that I was getting something similar to what Marty Smith was winning on . I think that one of the problems with Honda is that they can make a very good model & then sit on their laurels for a few years before coming up with something good again .
 I see it as a strange retrograde move for Lex ,to go from probably my all time favourite model bike to one of my least favourite bikes . But I reckon that the 490 at $6000 is a bargain , especially with those Technoflex shocks & the money spent on the motor .