Author Topic: Mikuni reference page for older MX bikes  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Mikuni reference page for older MX bikes
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:01 pm »
Some time in the dim past  ;D  I remember seeing a one-page listing for Mikuni VM's on older MX bikes, have done a search, can't find it (came up with a link but it doesn't work anymore).

Does anyone have a copy or a link?

I'm try to work out some starting jets for a Mikuni on a 77 400 KTM engine.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni reference page for older MX bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:02:17 pm »
Try a new VM36, 42.5 pilot, 410 main, clip on #2 from top, remove the air jet. Standard needle, needle jet & 2.5 slide that comes in a new carb. This works unreal on a Husky 360 as a replacement for the Bing. I just fitted one to a 390 Husky, works well but will need a tad richening up on the clip & main. The increased air speed over the 38 gives more torque & throttle response from bottom through mid, don't really notice much different in top although probably a tad less.
I have a Mikuni chart, but KTM400 not on it. I can get you a copy if you like?
K

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:50:23 pm »
If you get in touch with Sudco in the USA they are very helpful.. will give you a baseline jetting for the Kato..

Offline ozktm

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:39:00 am »
penton forum in the states has alot of info.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

'72 KTM 175 |'74.5 KTM 250 |'74.5 KTM 400 |Hagon/KTM 250 proj|'76 MC5 250 Project |'76 MC5 400|'78 KTM 250 Project |'81 KTM 250 MC | '81 KTM 495 MC

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:57:11 pm »
thanks for all the help and info

a couple of days ago I did an email to Hatrick the Mikuni people in Queensland, I asked for a recommendation, they came back telling me that the information I wanted was on their website, it was hard to find at first, and here it is step-by-step:

On the Hatrick website

1. Go to the left hand drop down menu and select VM carburettor

2. That drops down menu and you select the size you want say 38 mm

3.  That gives you pictures on the right-hand side - the different 38 mm carbies and a few other related parts including "tuneup kits"

4. You will see several different tuneup kits, for example you might see "for 4 stroke engines" or "for 2-stroke engines up to 250cc" or "for 2-stroke engines above 250cc", so you select whichever one suits your bike.

5. Then you get a drop-down arrow with a list of "old bikes" and there are a lot of them there, if you order one of those kits it will give you all of the parts so that you can "set up" your standard 38mm VM to suit your bike, some of the kits just have a couple of jets, some of them have jets and needle, and some of them have jets, needle and needle jet.

But of course KTM/Penton 400 from 1977 was not there, hatrick advised that I should pick something of similar performance/design to my engine and that would be a good starting point, but that's a bit tricky in itself.

OZKTM, yes I had a look at the Penton site,  that's where I started to get confused because there were 4 different threads with 4 very different sets of recommendations.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:55 pm »
Every bike I've got from USA has been jetted way lean, I'd be wary using USA specs.
K