Author Topic: Question for all the 81/82 RM experts  (Read 2845 times)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Question for all the 81/82 RM experts
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:46:39 pm »
Ok so im wondering what is the correct style number plate for an 81 RM250X, round or square? I see on sales brochures round plates, then in mahazine test square plates ?? I think round, but not 100%, whats do you guys think?

Also, same model 81 RM250X, ive seen two style of decals fitted to the tank and side panels. The first style is the three blue stripes with the suzuki lettering fitted HORIZONTALLY across the bottom of both sides of the tank. Ive also seen a similiar stye decal but fited more at a 45 degree upwards angle towards upper front of the tank down to the rear, more like the 82 Z model. Which is right or were there two options ?

The same goes for the side panels, one style of decals are fitted HORIZONTALLY across the bottom of the panel and the other side at an upwards angle more like the 82 Z model. Again which is right, or were there two option?

Ive been thinking about the big issues tonight !

Thanks
JS

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Question for all the 81/82 RM experts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:12 pm »
John - as far as the decals go all the 81 RM250's I have seen have the decals running along base of the tank.  Check out www.fullfloater.com and you will see several listed in the States with this type.  There is also another web site which covers all the history of them but cannot find it at the moment and this is handy because it also lists the brochures for the particular bikes.  If I find it again will let you know.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:09 pm »
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:41 pm »
Thanks mate, yep been on that site, the thing that threw me is the bikes i was looking at with the different decal styles weren't restos. They were bikes in original sales brochures or mag tests back in the day.

I was actually wondering whether the US bikes were slightly different graphically than the Aus models....dunno.

Stil doesnt explain the different front plates.

Cheers
JS

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:46 am »
Okay, definitely Australian, European, and possibly Canadian X models had the stripes running on an angle up the sidecovers and tank. U.S. Models had the stripes running horizontally on the sidecovers and tank. no discernable difference in the rest of the bike as far as I know. The front plate was the last round one, with a single strap on the left side to prevent the front brake cable getting caught behind the plate on full compression of the forks. This strap also had horizontal slots in it, and are as rare as rocking horse shit. I had one of my  two owner 250X, but I think I gave it to the new owner when I sold it last year...
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:50:06 pm »
Okay, definitely Australian, European, and possibly Canadian X models had the stripes running on an angle up the sidecovers and tank. U.S. Models had the stripes running horizontally on the sidecovers and tank. no discernable difference in the rest of the bike as far as I know. The front plate was the last round one, with a single strap on the left side to prevent the front brake cable getting caught behind the plate on full compression of the forks. This strap also had horizontal slots in it, and are as rare as rocking horse shit. I had one of my  two owner 250X, but I think I gave it to the new owner when I sold it last year...

Interesting, i would agree in the difference in the horizontal and vertical stripes for different markets? Not being rude but where did you get this info from? Just from looking at pics or reading it somewhere? I prefer the horizontal stripes as it differentiates the X model from the Z model.

So i wonder why you see so many with square front plates in old mag tests ??.

Do you have any parts leftover from your build?

Cheers
JS

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:07:40 pm »
 :) long time Suzuki enthusiast, bike mechanic and Suzuki racer back then. I had 125 X brand new in 81, 250Z brand new in 82, and had a 250X for a long time, 2008-2015, which had the original stickers still on it when I got it. Can guarantee the accuracy of the Australian, European and American  models 100%, not 100% on the Canadian models. The Z models had a different stripe on it altogether which was the same the world over, started out fatter at the bottom of the tank, tapering up towards the top before sweeping back a little. Sidecover stickers were completely different to the X, and again the same world wide. As far as the square plates go, The then governing body of racing Australia wide , the ACU, mandated that Australian racers fitted square "stage 3" style square plates over the original round/oval plates as they seemed to think there wasnt enough room for numbers...although I may be corrected by others with more knowledge on that fact. Unfortunately no bits and pieces left over, all given to other X owners who were after bits at thi time. 250X one of my alltime favorite bikes to own and race, but very rare, I beleive mine is now still in the hands of a former factory Suzuki rider from the 70's.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)