Author Topic: Large cans of chain lube $1.85ea !!!!!!  (Read 3434 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Large cans of chain lube $1.85ea !!!!!!
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »
We all know the great lubricating qualities of vegetable oils, I have used cans of canola cooking oil as chain lube for the last 7 years, both road & dirt.  My GSXR1000 has a narrower 520 chain conversion with an alloy rear sprocket, it has done 80,000 km's on the one set of sprockets!!  In the last 7 years I have not worn-out any sprockets on my dirtbikes either.

The stuff is available from any supermarket for as low as $1.85 per can. Sure you made need to apply it a little more frequent than your $25 can but at $1.85 who farking cares.

I put BelRay stickers on the can, it gets some guessing :-)

Read this: https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-247.html
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Large cans of chain lube $1.85ea !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:10:02 pm »
I use it on hinges/door lock strikers with good results. proberly some powder grarfite mixed in would improve it as well, I used to boil my jawa longtracker chains up in diff oil with grarfite jointing compound mixed in after the duckhams was used up and it worked well

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
Geez mate, if it's that good on ya chains,what's it do to ya guts?

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:12:33 pm »
good one John
if I had a Ducati I'd give olive oil a go, but ya cant beat $1.85 for a can of chain lube that's good thinking mate

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 11:23:47 am »
Vegetarian oil :) still rates at the top.

"Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants."

Is Canola oil dirt attracting on the chain?
The can next to my BBQ is always sticky.

One reason I spend up on Maxima chain wax.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
The Maxima chain wax is good for coating bikes going into long term storage. Most other oils attract dust and dry out, the dust then attracts and holds moisture and then rust sets in. The maxima has paraffin wax. I've done a few bikes with it in a humid climate and all the chrome was good when I pulled them out after ten or more years.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 04:36:09 pm »
Great tip.
I live close (ish) to the beach, and am always trying to fend off rust.
I'll give it a try, in other uses (than chains)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:04:42 pm »
One of my clients used cheap vegetable cooking oil in his high performance 2 stroke jet ski for all the years he had it. The ski went unreal & just kept going. Then there's Glenn Kearney's story of while overseas racing an ISDE for Husaberg, holed an engine case & lost all the oil. They patched the case but the small European town they were in had no synthetic 4 stroke oil, so he too used cheap vegetable cooking oil (all he could get), got him through the days until they got the "correct oil". Hence the nickname "Chips Kearney". Oils aint oils, or so it seems.
K

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 09:43:07 am »
All this talk has jogged a long forgotten memory  of as a 13 year old i investigated performance in engines just to see what would happen. With a cornucopia of lawn mowers available from the local tip this was my basis usually using Victas with bolt on transfer ports but there was one engine that went well with no tweaking at all so it was the fuel  guinea pig.  A Singer with the head and barrel in a single casting. No head gasket required. It would pull and rev better than any victa. I pinched my brothers model airplane fuel and mixed it with cooking oil at 20:1. mainly beacuse we lived a long way from the shops and dad had taken his chainsaw stuff with him to work. damn it went well behind that veil of smoke. I thought it would have popped a ring  with the barrage of abuse that only a teenager can deliver but not a chance. Pulling it down 12 months later showed minor scuffing on the exhaust and a fairly good but oily and dirty internals. Vegetable oils im assuming all share a proportion of the properties of castor that all pommie bike owners know is the only thing to run if they dont like changing big ends. The Oil does breakdown under stress but leaves behind a film of brown crap that protects the metal as a last ditch effort to avoid wear. vege oil is gummy but it works well for many applications. Also the choice of teen age rev head 161 powered HR holden owners for pouring on the cheese cutter tyres for the best smokies.

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:52:35 am »
You guys are classics!  ;D
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 12:39:53 pm »
All this talk has jogged a long forgotten memory  of as a 13 year old i investigated performance in engines just to see what would happen. With a cornucopia of lawn mowers available from the local tip this was my basis usually using Victas with bolt on transfer ports but there was one engine that went well with no tweaking at all so it was the fuel  guinea pig.  A Singer with the head and barrel in a single casting. No head gasket required. It would pull and rev better than any victa. I pinched my brothers model airplane fuel and mixed it with cooking oil at 20:1. mainly beacuse we lived a long way from the shops and dad had taken his chainsaw stuff with him to work. damn it went well behind that veil of smoke. I thought it would have popped a ring  with the barrage of abuse that only a teenager can deliver but not a chance. Pulling it down 12 months later showed minor scuffing on the exhaust and a fairly good but oily and dirty internals. Vegetable oils im assuming all share a proportion of the properties of castor that all pommie bike owners know is the only thing to run if they dont like changing big ends. The Oil does breakdown under stress but leaves behind a film of brown crap that protects the metal as a last ditch effort to avoid wear. vege oil is gummy but it works well for many applications. Also the choice of teen age rev head 161 powered HR holden owners for pouring on the cheese cutter tyres for the best smokies.
LOL my BSA Bantam got the same vegeoil treatment and smelt like Rolly Park, gotta couple a few victa mower motors laying around.......