Author Topic: Should the factories reproduce classics?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Boyracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Should the factories reproduce classics?
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:23:08 pm »
Since older bikes have more class, should the manufacturers re-release some golden oldies or leave them in the past?
Im sure plenty of blokes would like to get around town on a new XR600RF or the like rather than a CRF450.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Should the factories reproduce classics?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:18 pm »
You may find that a few companies have retro models out now but dont expect anything MX or primarily dirt related as the market just isnt there. its in cafe racer/ scramblers

Triumph have their classics. ducati have their scrambler series. BMW also have one , yamaha have the veritable SR . Norton have just relaunched with a modern classic. Moto guzzi have the classic V& and SWM have a range of classics.. its all about who wants to spend the money and what will they buy.  frankly id rather a new Africa twin than an XR600.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »
nostalgia will peel money out of a mans pocket quicker than a" girl that asks for money". if a new bike isnt state of the art with all the bells n whistles, then its a flop and noone will buy it.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:06 am »
We all like e-start and brakes that work now though! I have a xr650 that I'd like a whole lot more with a button!

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:19:53 am »
Triumph have their classics. ducati have their scrambler series. BMW also have one , yamaha have the veritable SR . Norton have just relaunched with a modern classic. Moto guzzi have the classic V& and SWM have a range of classics.. its all about who wants to spend the money and what will they buy.  frankly id rather a new Africa twin than an XR600.
[/quote]

Hardly classics. Not a carb amongst them. Classic styling maybe.

As for the scramblers, isn't that just about the hipster trend for using the wrong bike for any given purpose? (e.g. rigid Harleys on the dirt and TT500 cafe racers on the street).

Although I did see a loaded up Trumpy scrambler on the way to Philip Island. Proper knobbies and mud from head to toe. Too that man I dips me lid.

But other than that I think marketing departments and have just basically run out of ideas...............
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:48:41 am »
As for the scramblers, isn't that just about the hipster trend for using the wrong bike for any given purpose? (e.g. rigid Harleys on the dirt and TT500 cafe racers on the street).

Yeah this is a really big trend/craze right now that i dont really understand. Currently building one from a a 79 BMW for someone. Fitted with Conti TKC80's on it and it will never see a KM of dirt road i am sure.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:51:06 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:14:12 am »
We all like e-start and brakes that work now though! I have a xr650 that I'd like a whole lot more with a button!
E-Start...the million dollar device.....just ask Ken Rockzen.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:32 am »
Really this post relates to enduro, road and trail bikes.

However there are bikes that have almost been reproduced.

Maico Only in the UK can build you a 1981 Maico 490 or 250.  They aren't totally new production but almost.  There is enough reproduction parts available to build a brand new Manx Norton.  Of course the Royal Enfields have stayed in production in India for years.

As for a Japanese company remaking a previous model, I wouldn't hold your breath.  The mass sales that would be needed for them to remake a model just aren't there.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

HeavenVMX

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
Yamaha SR400
Honda XR400 although now out of production again

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:16:46 pm »
This comes up with cars all the time.

What really matters is what happens when you're standing in the showroom with the cash in your pocket.
For all the internet talk of "I'd definitely buy a new [whatever] if I could", when you're about to hand over a substantial amount of money, all the romance and optimism suddenly disappears and you choose the new bike/car - you know, the one that does everything better than the old one (except look good).

How many of those repro Maicos do they sell in a year? ;) Even if they could mass produce them and drop the price to the same as a new YZF, how many more would they sell? How many people would plonk down $11k for one, instead of the same money on a 2017 YZF?

How many people bought new 513 CZs, when they were available? How many sat unsold until they were heavily discounted?

The Lazarus models only work when the factory screwed up and killed off a bike that was still competitive in the marketplace, and replaced it with something inferior: think KLR650, and um...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:20:31 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »
there was a sale recently of a brand spanker in the crate 510 twin shock husky, one of hans applegrins "super" payments. there was no mad rush to buy and a dedicated husky nut payed a realistic price for it. if they ran out 100 new ones tomorrow, I rekon 3/4s would sit on the floor (unless they were 3 grand each)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:26:57 am »
Now if they could do a run of unatainium parts, that would be good!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »
When John Bloor reincarnated Triumph he was determined NOT to make a Bonneville, because it was his train set no new Bonnie got made. After he was convinced to let go of the reigns a bit a Bonneville hit the road and then a Thruxton and now a super dooper Thruxton. So long as the company doesn't hang it's hat completely on that model it works a charm. The Ducati Sport Classic range is another model that springs to mind right down to the repo Pirelli Phantoms

Now where is me  dusty cheque book

Would I like the interior and running gear from the new Focus RS  in these new Taiwanese shells ?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

and for the lotto win list ..in Gulf colours thanks

Bottom line is market seems to cope with modern running gear with distinct retro styling as close as possible to the original, not warts and all reproduction of the original
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:36:53 pm by Lozza »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:16 pm »
Quite true lozza, I know someone who has  a Triumph Street twin. Its a new style on the bonnie but its made in malaysia, Its a full 900cc with oil cooling to cope with the new Euro regs. it has throttle bodies and it has ABS and a slipper clutch. looks like a bonnie but its not.. The new Norton also looks basically like the ones we know but it has also been modernised to the hilt. I cant blame them as who would buy a commodore if they just changed the grill and the paint and stickers every year and get exactly the same car? Sure thats what many factories did till people got bored with it and sales dropped off.

The sales markets are changing and if companies  want to stay in the game they will make what will sell and thats not old tech on an old bike. shoot.. even a Ural have FI now. the market has a growing proportion of the weekend hipster and female riders so its those people who are driving the market in the retro scene not mature dirt bike riders. Mature dirt bike riders buy actual real classics and probably have a modern  in the shed as they are easier to ride.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 03:40:54 pm »
.......... who would buy a commodore if they just changed the grill and the paint and stickers every year and get exactly the same car?

Isn't that where the magazines come in?..........

This years model is absolutely the best ever and you can't live without it. That is until next years model comes out, at which time this years model becomes ugly, slow and totally left handed.
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.