Author Topic: Gumtree Scam  (Read 10634 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Gumtree Scam
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:49:59 am »
I recently put a bike for sale on Gumtree. Not long afterwards, I got an email to my mobile from a guy claiming to work on a remote site in the NT who was interested in buying the bike. His email contained all the normal questions that a buyer would ask, i.e. if I was firm on the price, about my reason for selling the bike and about the bikes history.

I replied to his questions and received another email, saying he was happy with the price, and condition of the bike etc, and asked for bank account details. As everything had seemed OK to this point, I provided details of a passbook account (remember them) that I have for such things as you can deposit money into it electronically, but all withdrawals need to be done in a branch with the passbook.

I then, got another email saying he was trying to organising shipping for the bike, but couldn’t pay the freight company from where he was, and asked if I could pay $950 to a Chinese company via a MoneyGram at a 7 Eleven store, and that he would transfer the amount for the bike and shipping to my account via PayPal.

This is where the thought SCAM first came to me.

I have subsequently receive a couple of emails from "PayPal" , saying that they have had the money for the bike and freight forwarded to a holding account and that it would be payed into my back account once I had sent the money to a guy in China for the freight cost.

Am I the first to get this kind of response to a Gumtree add?

Have others here had similar experiences?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:54:38 am by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Gumtree Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 12:08:16 pm »
I get scam emails pretending to be paypal all the time.

Never click on the email paypal looking link to respond, they are also trying to get your paypal password.

Always go into pay pal via your official ebay account link, there you will find no knowledge or presence of that message sent via the phony paypal site email.

I don't know what I loath most, package opening thieves, ebay scammers who falsely claim" race ready" and double the postage on invoice after the purchase or just pain scum who bump through life lying every time they open their trap.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »
Apparently, and unfortunately, the scam attempt described in the OP is not rare.

Another stealing technique the current oxygen thieves are employing is "meeting you halfway" often a road house. They "pay" for the bike, load it and are never seen again. The "pay" is then discovered as fraudulent. (Bank cheques bouncing was one method. This is why people don't accept bank cheques anymore.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 01:23:24 pm »
Would someone advise best way to receive money please? Am selling a car for 8K ... Skypig's story prompts me to ask about a safe way to sell ... cheers
Roger

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
I always use electronic fund transfer Roger.

If it's a large transaction the experts advise using banks ‘secured electronic payment systems with SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Telecommunication), IBAN International Bank Account Numbers) and BIC (Bank Identifier Code) security features.

Pete.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 09:44:46 pm »
It's a sad indictment on society that it has become so difficult to conduct a simple transaction with minimum risk.

The bank cheque scam is basically: get the cheque, go back claiming it has been lost/stolen, get it "stopped" and a new one. Buy the bike with the dud.
It kinda relies on not being able to identify the offender, hence the common tactic of "meeting half way" (They might be driving a rental, or have stolen/fake plates)

Any EFT (done on laptop or phone) should be ok, but the dealer I just bought a new van from wouldn't release the vehicle until the funds are cleared. I had to pay for the vehicle a day before I picked it up.

Personally I'd want to witness the transaction or see the funds in my account. (Even not available/cleared.) They can't get it back as far as I know.

The other thing to do is take photos. Their Licence. Their face, standing next to the bike for sale. The vehicle they showed up in. Them shaking hands with you in front of the bike. (They don't want that picture taken? Best wait for cleared funds or cash.)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:17:15 am »
std with gumtree
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 05:28:43 am »
Thanks guys   :)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:02:43 am »
I have also had an inquiry from a guy asking if I would swap it for a 1989 Ford Falcon. I am trying to make room in my shed, the last thing I need to do is swap a bike for a bomb Ford that will take up 10 times the space!
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 01:38:04 pm »
Had a bloke on here sell me an rm370 donk and said do paypal send money to friend and family so I thought ok will save him some fees
any who motor turned out shall we say not as described and yep you guessed it no chance for a refund

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 03:05:35 pm »
So I'm not the only one to be caught out of pocket, unfortunately I no longer trust anyone after my last purchase. I sold a bike to a local and I made sure he was 100% happy with it before I let him pay me.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »
PE Crazy ... I like it.  Putting a positive message up.  That is; being fully supportive and trustworthy as a seller.
I will report on Yaris sale if it happens. It's always a youngster girl buying a small white car. Usually with a boyfriend in tow ... to be stern and critical 

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:20 am »

Usually with a boyfriend in tow ... to be stern and critical 

only cos the BF wants her to buy a v8 commodore ;D

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:12:22 am »
Between the scammers, text only lowballers and dreamers, I just ask the person to call me to have a chat. If they call, they're keen and I can sound them out. If they don't I assume they weren't a serious buyer anyway. And I always get their license details so I can track them down if the worst happens. Had some pretty good shed talkfests with both buyers and sellers as a result.

But I like to believe most people are genuine. I'll take precautions but prefer to be an optimist. It's a risk but better than looking at the world with suspicion I reckon. Just not how I want to live.
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:56 am »
verbal comms is the way to go.....no problem making contact with a txt but only if in plain engrish...although I have just listed a rodeo ute on gumtree and I haven't had the instantaneous scam txt asking if that's the firm price :-[ I'm missing my scammers already....

unfortunately, its a disease spreading thru the population...get something for nothing, just a few deft keystrokes and someone else's hard earned are yours.

with the new generation having just been thru boom times, they just are not facing the recession too well.