Author Topic: big k,s 400 cr husky  (Read 11665 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: big k,s 400 cr husky
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »
 Rather a big call, YF. Huskies of that era had all manner of different pipes, exiting on either side, and I'd imagine the MOMS interpretation would suggest that a fat, underslung pipe wouldn't be favourably received. But racing isn't a concours event, so I very much doubt that anyone would ever knock this bike back on the grounds of eligibility for this pipe. Perhaps you could outline what you believe we are "trying to recreate" here.....do you mean machines presented in OEM trim, without mods or improvements ? If so, that is the very opposite of what was happening in racing at that time : any mod that worked, or served to psych-out the opposition, was instantly acquired and employed ! As far as I can see, vmx racing today is still based upon like-minded nostalgia victims riding round with like-minded buddies, on bikes more than 30 years old because they're enjoying it. Once the fine details become over-analysed, the giggle factor tends to dissipate.....   ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:24:22 PM by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
The pipe is a Circle F, readily available and quite common in the USA. I personally don't think for one minute it detracts from the era or the look of the bike, as there were all manner of pipes back then & now. I don't like snail pipes but others do. Pipes are considered consumable and have no restrictions anyway. I still have the original pipe YF, maybe you could fit it to your Yammie. If we all had the same tastes it would be a boring old world, and really there's no need to can anyone or anything just because we may not like it. I love me 400 with that pipe and I love my 250 with the standard pipe. I suppose you won't like my '76 WR360 then, it has a '78 390 pipe on it....
Cheers,
K

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »
but do you get her on the pipe mick ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
You can see that in the photo, on the pipe, on the rock! It's a good thing Rus, on or off the pipe. Pigmy tells me it throws some fine roost.
Cheers,
K

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 10:35:49 PM »
Big K gets on the pipe dont worry about that, chased him around in pre 75 expert class at VCM round 4, held at Ravenswood.

firko

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »
I don't see the same thing Yammiefan sees. The pipe on Big Ks Husky looks period correct to me and I'm the biggest critic of non period mods on this bloody forum. Pity about that dent though. ;)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »
he needs the dent in the pipe
so pigmy can keep up
thats my theory ???
follow me to first turn

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:40 AM »
Well, I appreciate everyones opinion and that is what makes the sport such a diverse field...BUT....unless Mark is looking thru a different set of glasses (beer) that pipe is nothing like an OEM pipe...remembering that the MOMS states at rule 18.3.0.4 "Exhaust may be modified but must
generally follow original lines."....last time I saw a Pre 75 Husky the pipe came out of the exhaust port went upwards (not downwards) then along the gearchange side of the bike...I don't recall seeing any Husky exhaust in 1974 that had centre cones that large or a tail pipe that slender and long..let alone being routed downwards first..
You guys can judge for yourself if that style of exhaust is "true to the era"... :)

firko

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
Yammiefan.....Nobody hates fatpipes more than this fatboy but that pipe is pretty much in line with period thinking. It's made by Circle F which builds it's pipes with the AHRMA exhaust rules in mind which are far stricter than ours. On a personal note Ithink the stock pipe looks better but this is a race bike not a garage queen so it's the owners perogative as to what he runs as long as it's within the guidelines of the rules which I think it is.

Yammiefan, I'll throw one at you. I ran a very similar pipe on my MAICO in 1974. As you no doubt realise, Maicos came with downpipes but my Aaen Engineering pipe which I bought from Blair Harley the Maico importer in 1974 is an up pipe very similar to the the pipe on BigKs Husky. Using your interpitation of MOMS, you'd be telling me I can't run a pipe I bought prior to 1975. I still have it and would have it on my bike today if it 1:worked and 2:didn't burn the shit out of my leg.

Big Ks pipe is legal, trust me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:28:37 AM by firko »

Heikki360

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
I tend to agree with yammiefan. I have a 74 Mag 250 with the stock pipe. I have the excellent Huskyjunk through the frame pipe (thanks Chuck) which requires fitting the 75 radial head, which I also have. While I am not affected by the Aussie rules (I am in NZ), to me the stock arrangement is "true to the era" (aesthetically as well as under relevant rules) and the radial head / through the frame job is not. The 75 head would presumably put it out of pre-75 anyway.

I do not recall seeing "all manner of pipes" or any through the frame pipes on Huskies until 1975/6, when the Americans (Grossi / Howerton?) put them on the 360GP. Must dig out the old Dirt Bike mags...

Just my 2c worth; as GD66 says, whatever spins your spurs, but I prefer the original (or close to it) look.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »
I only wanted to show a photo of my bike, maybe think twice for the next one  :-\.
K

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
i like it and i couldnt give a flying  Duck if it got a dented pipe , its a neat looking racer  thats what matters
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:28:12 PM by paul »

husky61

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
Nice bike.

MMMM husky

But seriously , go fast  parts = go fast bike.  fat pipe , big reeds , big mikuni , fat pegs , fat bars , fat paint job all enhance the riding experience.

Great job on the bike Mich.

Keep building them and keep posting them up

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
Mark, I have been lead to believe that you had a great input to the formulation of the rules that make our book so verbose...Let me ask you this Mark....using your own interpretation, please let me know which part of a Circle F pipe (style) generally follows the original lines....apart from the tailpipe and the muffler which happen to end up on the same side of the bike as the original...I would not like to front at a nationals with the "old chestnut" ...my club let me use it and no-one has said anything...!!And well done to other forum users...obviously the thinking mans Maico rider....I love it when people resort to profanity..FFF... :)No-one really minds the dent..!! ;)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »
i see nothing wrong with the pipe 8)
i have been racing old huskys for
23 years and i dont give a rats arse how it looks :-*
it looks good just like the bike :P
it must work he beat pigmy ;D

mick has a nice bike with a legal pipe end of story >:(