Author Topic: KX 250 SR  (Read 6325 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
KX 250 SR
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:28:05 pm »
Emigs '97 SR absolute bargain considering prices of VMX bikes at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252478324832?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: KX 250 SR
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:44:43 am »
its a bit strong calling it an SR or factory bike isn't it ?

Its nice but it looks like a KX 250 with a few bits bolted on , proper factory bikes dried up in the 80s
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 06:58:07 am »
Call me cynical, but if it really does have Emig's bum sweat on it then it would be worth considerably more than if it was a practice bike or it was built up from spares... So surely you'd put the effort into confirming it was Emig's bike, if you thought it was Emig's bike?

I want it, bum sweat or no.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:48 am »
"sorry..no paper work???" says it all.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:43 am »
I would have thought establishing the bikes bonafides  would be well worth it. The bike doesn't look "trick" enough to me
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:29:44 am »
This is supposed to be the real deal   http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tblazier/10475832633/       , The ebay one looks to have some of the right parts but I am thinking the same,No provinence ;) the SR looks like it is just engraved into the powervalve? cover, the forks are different, the triples are trick but different, It's still a trick bike though,that pipe 8) 8) 8), excuse me now whilst I go down to the shed,get my engraver out & turn my CR's into RC's :)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 04:17:17 pm »
...bloody grumpy old cynics, can't a bloke even dream he can get an old factory bike for $7000 U.S., I still reckon other than the forks and maybe hubs, It's gotta be something with an attachment with Kawasaki racing from 1997.
Remember the U.S. factory bikes had to run production frames, engine cases and swingarms.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »
...bloody grumpy old cynics, can't a bloke even dream he can get an old factory bike for $7000 U.S., I still reckon other than the forks and maybe hubs, It's gotta be something with an attachment with Kawasaki racing from 1997.
Remember the U.S. factory bikes had to run production frames, engine cases and swingarms.

It's clearly something special. The question is 'How special?'.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:40 pm »
Could it be that it is a factory bike or perhaps part factory sponsored bike?  With GP bikes i know there are a levels of tech that get allocated to different teams so could this also be the case with this bike? providence is a good thing . I'll bet someone would pay big money for  Jeff wards used loo paper if it was green and had been signed.

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »
Could it be that it is a factory bike or perhaps part factory sponsored bike?  With GP bikes i know there are a levels of tech that get allocated to different teams so could this also be the case with this bike? providence is a good thing . I'll bet someone would pay big money for  Jeff wards used loo paper if it was green and had been signed.

Signatures are old hat - these days for authentication you'd just 'swipe it. 

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 03:04:59 am »
Some of the old Pro Circuit KX250F bikes (non-championship) were supposedly sold, minus the Works Showa suspension and the motors.  They were replaced with PC Works kitted stock suspension and fully built PC motors minus the one-off transmissions and top-secret porting/cams.

Perhaps this is a practice bike with some hard to find parts added?  The few practice bikes that I have seen for sale usually have the ownership papers showing the racer's name.
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 08:26:16 am »
Define a factory or works bike ?

To me a works bike sometimes referred  to as a factory bike is the hand built exotica that existed from the mid 60s until the mid 80s .

Im sure there were earlier examples and maybe the odd later one .

Bikes and parts hand built that were unobtainium to the rank and file . These bikes were the holy grail of our sport and coveted by us all ( of course in reality how many of us would get any real benefit  from one is debatable )

I will start another thread on it but to me that is a std KX with a few bits bolted on just like what they laughingly call factoery bikes today  ::)

To be fair im sure it was built in a factory , the Kawasaki heavy industry factory along with thousands of others the same  ;)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »
Unless you own a museum buying a works bike is a waste of money as far as i am concerned. For the same amount of money you could build far better these days. I have built two class legal bikes light years ahead of what won the World Championship in their respective years
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B