Author Topic: Any Hodaka owners here?  (Read 6034 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Any Hodaka owners here?
« on: July 08, 2016, 11:34:13 am »
Hi all, just picked up a '73 Dirt Squirt.  :o
Anyone know if they can be road registered?
Bit of polishing to do first though.  ;D

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Any Hodaka owners here?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:24:14 pm »
No , Dirt Squirts were sold as a "fun bike only" without any Australian States full rego bits and pieces.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:41:57 pm »
No , Dirt Squirts were sold as a "fun bike only" without any Australian States full rego bits and pieces.

Thanks Tim  ;D
Been poking around since, and been told this snippet:
The Squirt was a "parts bin engineering" bike. It used an Ace 100 engine with a Wombat transmission and a Wombat frame. The engine already has a lighting coil, and the output wires were just tied off and left unused. The lighting kit was standard parts bin stuff thrown together to give the Squirt a headlight so you could ride the trails at night. The Ace powered the headlight directly from the magneto (no battery) and this was carried over to the Squirt. In the Ace the battery was used to power the horn and tail light, and with the emergency switch it could be used to power the headlight.

So I'm still wondering if I can fit a battery for a parking light and horn...maybe, just maybe they could be registered?
Wasn't it the case in "the old days" you could register an enduro with a similar lighting setup and a bulb horn? Or am I dreaming. lol

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
should be no drama to set up a battery powered lighting set up for reg

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:29:28 pm »
issues with road registration are that the particular model needs to have been registered previously. While it may have the same equipment as the road going version it still doesnt qualify. This is why some enduro bikes are disqualified from road use. like  some  KDX 200 and the DR250s and the list goes on. if your willing to pay and have an engineer certify that the bike complies with the current standards then no problem but it will be at todays standard not the standard of when the bike was manufactured as that would be restricted to bikes actually able to be registered then.. pain in the butt and thats bureaucracy, as far as they are concerned its a 2016 model and new as they have no records of a Dirt squirt but they will have Road toad. thats what you "could" call it for rego purposes;)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:53 am »
'73 Is pre ADR complicance plates. There should not be an issue registering this anywhere but you will just have to find out the laws/requirements in your state with regards to lights/horn/chain guard/mirrors etc is and just bring it up to spec.
If you really wanted to you could also register a 74 YZ250 or 73 TM250 or any other MX bike from back then if its before compliance plates were introduced.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:06:04 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:05 am »
I'll make a few inquiries (Tas) and see what I can find out...probably bugger all going on past experience  :(
It may have been "roadized" before perhaps, at least it has a headlight, tail light in the box and there is a speedo drive on the front hub and mirror mounts on the levers. But sounds like it'll rest with the decision at Service Tasmania.
Be just another expensive toy if it can't be put on the road  ;D

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:22:50 pm »
how about "historic" rego,be cheaper,less stringent rules to abide with,(usually ), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:20:22 pm »
how about "historic" rego,be cheaper,less stringent rules to abide with,(usually ), :P
Yep, Special Interest rego is what I'll be aiming for.  ;D

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »
Had a chat to Vehicle Standards here in Tassie today who really good and rang back twice for info. I'm sure they still had no idea what a Dirt Squirt or Road Toad was.  ;D
End result provided it meets the regulations of the day ('73) all should be good, though he couldn't tell me what the regulation of the day was??
I imagine the usual...Headlight, Taillight, Indicators, horn and mirrors...then it gets murky. Rear only parking light, Speedo, Chain guard? 

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:01 pm »
You may not even need indicators. I know NSW you need them no matter how old the bike as they are a pretty strict state when it comes to all this stuff but in other states they only require them after a certain date.

Think about all the bikes pre second WW, most will never be able run indicators, barely run lights and many did not even have a brake light but theres many out there on the roads or at least registered.

You can look up ADR/rego requirements online. Theres PDF's that say what you need to have depending on what state and how old the bike etc.

Because of the age of the bike and the fact that its classic/vintage you will not have to have the whole of things you have mentioned that modern bikes are required to have.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:30:09 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 09:17:12 pm »
You may not even need indicators. I know NSW you need them no matter how old the bike as they are a pretty strict state when it comes to all this stuff but in other states they only require them after a certain date.

Think about all the bikes pre second WW, most will never be able run indicators, barely run lights and many did not even have a brake light but theres many out there on the roads or at least registered.

You can look up ADR/rego requirements online. Theres PDF's that say what you need to have depending on what state and how old the bike etc.

Because of the age of the bike and the fact that its classic/vintage you will not have to have the whole of things you have mentioned that modern bikes are required to have.

It's a bit of a minefield  :o
Guess I'll only truly find out when the time comes.lol
Did find this:
91. Direction indicator lights on motor vehicles

(1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels that was built after August 1966 must have –

(a) a pair of direction indicator lights fitted on, or towards, its front that face forwards; and

(b) a pair of direction indicator lights fitted on, or towards, its rear that face backwards.

(2) A motor vehicle with less than 4 wheels that was built after June 1975 must have –

(a) a pair of direction indicator lights fitted on, or towards, its front that face forwards; and

(b) a pair of direction indicator lights fitted on, or towards, its rear that face backwards.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 10:51:51 pm »
um  Leith has something changed with indicators in NSW?,pre late into 78 whatever, no blinkers,had built early 78 SR500 on full rego,explained to inspecter no blinkers required,years later went over to club rego when age related 30yr cutin came up,79 on would require blinkers fitted, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 10:05:43 am »
im surprised john macclean hasn't popped up yet, he is a very knowledgeable hodaka enthusiast