Author Topic: What would the BSA experts do?  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Bulmaster

• Novice
    • View Profile
What would the BSA experts do?
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »
Hi Everybody,
I've got a problem which I would like your thoughts and advice.

My problem  :-\ is I have aquired 2 BSA B44 both in about the same condition.

1st BSA is a round barrel 1966 I think
2nd BSA is a square barrel 1969 I think

What are the thoughts of you BSA enthusiast on which bike would be better to rebuild to race and ride in vintage mx events. It would be rebuilt as a user not a garage queen.

As my knowledge of pommy 4 stoke bikes is very limited, but I had to have one, not 2.

Also does anybody know of any BSA engine rebuilders in the Newcastle area.

Thanks to you all
Bulmaster  :)

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: What would the BSA experts do?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:17:33 pm »
Bulmaster eh!
                    Why is Bulmaster playing with Pommy bikes?

from the Oxford dictionary:

Ma'ster
man who controls or employs or has authority over or teaches others,
skilled workman,
expert at something,
learns the facts about or way to use.

Sorry ,but your crackin me up !!!

Offline Bulmaster

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 07:55:45 pm »
Thank you Moto for your kind reply.

Your definition is spot on ::)

Should Mrs Moto's passport not arrive in time I am sure Mrs Bulmaster & myself would be available to go on the cruise at short notice.

Love your work

PS so which BSA???

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
Go with the round barrel and then you can join in the argument for inclusion in the pre '65 class. Eventually they'll be considered kosher for the class and you'll be up and ready to go. In the meantime you can race in pre '68 with it. You didn't mention if they were GP frames or not. If one has the GP frame, use it. Performance wise there is no difference whatsoever so it makes sense to build a bike eligible for as many classes as possible.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »
are you sure Firko? all my info says the GP motors had a few extra horses than a stock std B44. the internals are quite different with lots of race spec parts.
But if you were meaning theres no difference between a std round barrel and a square barrel your might be right. ive got a book that says the HP figures for all those models.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:16:27 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:53 pm »
I meant the standard bike/engine Leith as Bulmaster hasn't told us what he has. Sure the GP Victor engine is faster than a standard B44 but it's really down to the camshaft and odds and sods, not any major engineering differences.
I suggested the round barrel for race reasons as he has said he wanted a racer not a resto garage queen.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:23:48 pm »
let us know  exactlt what you got bullmaster. if one has a hip flask oil tank in the middle of the frame and a oil filler up near the steering head its a GP or OR a replica GP frame
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:26:44 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Bulmaster

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:49:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I wish they were specials, but unfortunately both bikes are the common dog shit types.

As suggested I think I'll keep the round barrel bike as it has a Tracey Custom body combo (one piece fibreglass petrol tank & seat) on it.

The square barrel will be put up for sale sooner or later.

Once again thanks for your advice.

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:50:16 pm »
The B44 is a great entry level pre '65 (oops sorry, it used to be). The pre'68 class is no longer on the cards either for National events. So the round or square barrel will both be eligible. The round barrel used to eb elibible for pre '65 and the square barrel for pre '70, but that changed with a commission ruling in 2005.

For an honest club racer these are great machines and with some heavy modification (all readily available mods) they can be made to go very well indeed.

Internally there is no difference between the round and square barrel motors. The round barrel just looks a little more "period". If the round barrel victors are allowed to race one day again in pre'65, then Firko's comments are valid. The difference between the GP engines and the standard EA engines was basically just the camshaft.

Put in an BSA B50MX grind camshaft, a good clutch, lengthen the swingarm to be the same length as the GP unit to make the bike handle like a GP, plus the usual goodies of good tyres and personal stuff and you'll have a ball.

Hope this helps.

firko

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:05:33 pm »
What's the story with pre '68 class not being on the cards for national events?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:28:02 pm »
a four year old can run in a 10 year old race, but no 10 year olds in a 4 year old race.   ;D

18.2.2.1  from the Maunal of Motorcycling..
the following classes shall be recognised for Classic motocross and Classic Dirt Track  a-t
Best is in the West !!

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
Hi Mark. The Classic Motocross Commission have removed the pre'68 class from the GCR's for next year. This is from their minutes of the recent Commission meeting. This class was only a temporary attempt to apese those wanting to run Victors in pre'65. They introduced the class for a 3 year 'trial' period in 2005. I guess the time is up.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:57:22 pm »
Hi Mark. The Classic Motocross Commission have removed the pre'68 class from the GCR's for next year. This is from their minutes of the recent Commission meeting. This class was only a temporary attempt to apese those wanting to run Victors in pre'65. They introduced the class for a 3 year 'trial' period in 2005. I guess the time is up.

solo or sidecar  ???
thanks
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:34 pm »
So....Is it back to pre '65? Is the B44 in or still out, when are they going to sort this for good. There is definitely a new rush of pre '65 bikes being built on this side of the island which indicates that the old class has a positive future. Who leads the anti B44 crusade? Surely they must realise that the class needs as many starters as they can get. Forcing the B44 to race in pre '70 (assuming that pre '68 is dead) helps nobody. The bike isn't really competitive (Brooke Lawson aside) against the Euro 2 strokes in pre 70 but is competitive in pre '65, its spititual home. I was once against them being in pre '65 based on their 1965 release but if the powers that be allow a Matchless G85cs in pre '65 when they weren't released until 1966, The Beeza deserves the same consideration.
That's enough politics for the night, I'll go away now ;)

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »
That is pre '68 solos - not sidecars. The Victors are still eligible for pre'70 of course.

As far the politics is concerned of allowing B44's to race pre'65, that quetion needs to be asked of the Classic Motocross Commission. The Victors were in then they were banned? The pre '68 class was introduced, now it is canned? I love pre'65 and this constant "review" turns people off, when they should be getting enthused. Victors are good entry level pre'65 machines. Submissions have been made to the commission over many years, but they have stuck to their pre '64 build date criteria. Even the replica path has been tried and knocked back.

Sorry for digressing Bulmaster. Build that round barrel Victor and enjoy.