Author Topic: JIS screwdrivers  (Read 11864 times)

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: JIS screwdrivers
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 06:46:44 pm »
I've been dressing Philips head  screwdrivers and impact tool bits with a cutting disc in an angle grinder for a while. These days I'm mainly worried about getting the screws outso they can be rplced with a shcs or a reduced hex flange head bolt.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 07:20:42 pm »
well ive learnt something new today as ive always thought phillips head was universal no matter what country. i know theres a few different star types used in the tek screw industry though which are an 4 main points with another 4 shallow points inside which make it hard to use them without the correct driver.trust the japs to be different ;)

yep this is new to me too. it now makes sense why they do not fit snugly.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:35 pm »
If it doesn't fit properly I don't use it ;)

reminds me of a girl i met once
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:27 pm »
im having difficulty believing you guys never knew about these things. ive checked the date and april is long gone. :o

yamaico use the same method as i do. first and every time a good wack with a drift which shocks the screw thread and tightens the head of the cross. then tap a phillips in and the screw comes out nicely no problem and you dont munt the head. actually can often fix a munted head. if it is still tight and the driver wants to slip out give it another wack with the drift as the thread is still sticking. if its tight after that even a correct JIS will want to walk out of the head.
 Most of the jap case screws are fairly soft metal and the head squashes down easily. if you check my case screws they will all be perfect crosses with slightly flattened domes.

the only screws that MUST be undone with and only a  JIS ive found are the counter sunk head screws.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 08:37:56 pm »
I never knew that, bugger me, might explain a few [1000] stuffed screw heads over the years. Thought only Phillips & Posi Drive. I always use a new Koken tip in an 8mm T bar if a problem & nearly always sorts it. plus tap the screw head to reshape it first, then smack the phillips tip in. Still got a hammer driver [impact driver] on the wall but seen a lot of damage done by those by the unwary--like the little countersunk screws on the small  honda engine oil slinger end cover. [don't get me started] They do have a place though [the impact wrench].

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 09:04:19 pm »

Pozidrive slots and drives are parallel*, therefore less tendency to "cam out".
Identified by the extra "corners" between the main slots.

I find a posidrive driver can sometimes get out a worn Phillips (at the risk of rounding the driver)

*Phillips head slots and drives seem to be slightly tapered. Maybe only when they are slightly worn.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »
im having difficulty believing you guys never knew about these things. ive checked the date and april is long gone. :o

yamaico use the same method as i do. first and every time a good wack with a drift which shocks the screw thread and tightens the head of the cross. then tap a phillips in and the screw comes out nicely no problem and you dont munt the head. actually can often fix a munted head. if it is still tight and the driver wants to slip out give it another wack with the drift as the thread is still sticking. if its tight after that even a correct JIS will want to walk out of the head.
 Most of the jap case screws are fairly soft metal and the head squashes down easily. if you check my case screws they will all be perfect crosses with slightly flattened domes.

the only screws that MUST be undone with and only a  JIS ive found are the counter sunk head screws.

Ive done all that many times with my trusty copper hammer sometimes it doesn't work and if it spins the head is munted. Especially on long case bolts that have been in situ for a while

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:27 pm »
next time i catch up with you Lozza i will give you a free demonstration.  ;D

Am yet to see a dot on a suzuki screw and none on the late model KLR either. Would make it easier to recognise but i consider all Jap screws to most likely be JIS.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:05:00 am »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
Shovel, spade.
Arse, elbow.

:)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:31 pm »
Picked up a set of these and they are a sheer delight to use even have an inbuilt impact driver, not that it's really needed  ;)

CLICKY LINKY THINGY
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 09:59:53 pm »
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/hozan-jis-screwdrivers-review/

That article was just what my OCD needed! :P

Bottom line, look for the DIN 5260 certification on your cross point driver and don't worry about the JIS anymore. 8)