Author Topic: RM T triple clamp swap.  (Read 2536 times)

Offline crabO

• Novice
    • View Profile
RM T triple clamp swap.
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:36:41 am »
I have searched back through many threads about fitting 43mm triple clamps to a RM250 T and there is lots of info on the subject.
But there are a couple of things that I am still vague on and someone may help me with.
The key problem seems to be fitting a tapered bearing into the old frame and the length of the new stem compared to the length of the steering head in the frame ?
Many people seem to change steering stems as that may be easier than machining the new steering stem to fit the old frame.
If the steering stem needs to needs pressed out of the bottom triple which way does it press out, Up or Down.? Do all year models press the same way ?
Is there any specific year / models of 43mm clamps that retrofit to a T model better that others. Triple clamp sets from 1984 to 1988 RM250 seem reasonably common on Ebay so I may as well get one that works well.
I guess much of it becomes obvious when I have 43mm triples in one had and a T frame in the other.
Thanks - Steve

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM T triple clamp swap.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:50:23 am »
As the majority of steering stems have a bearing on them, there is only one way they can be pressed out.  Think about it.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:11 pm »
Ignore the cryptic answer above as the fact that it has a bearing on it has nothing to do with it. The shaft presses in from the bottom side of the triple tree and usually has a flange on it for safety and as a positioner.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 12:51:10 pm »
I've done a couple of Suzuki steering stem taper roller conversions lately and they def press out from the bottom and appreciate the clamp being heated to loosen the interference.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Oldfart

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:39:41 pm »
Yes they definitely press out of the bottom clamp. Apply heat to triple clamp and support it evenly on the underside as you will need around 4 to  6 ton of pressure to remove it.
Replace the bearing while your at it, as they are a prick of a thing to do when stem is on triple :-) 

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
Apply the pressure to the skinny end [ threaded end where the nut goes on above the top triple]. I broke one trying it the other way. I had 83 model forks and triple with the 250T stem fitted and then lowered the bearing race shoulder about 6mm on the stem and fitted the tapered bearings. The 84 forks are better and they have a safer brake cable lug on the fork leg. Both are TLS but the 84 is slightly easier to find IMO.