Author Topic: Learning curve  (Read 7049 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Learning curve
« on: May 07, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »
Learning to ride at any sort of speed with crook hips has become a big challenge as nothing comes naturally any more. My body doesn't work like it should (hips, knees, lower back) & I have no "fluid movement". Everything has to be considered & is therefore slow, ie: transition form sitting to standing & vice versa, plus I can't throw a leg over anything bigger than an XR75, so need to find rocks or stumps to get on & off the bike in the bush. All the little "jerks & perks" that come with riding a dirt bike frick'n hurt as well! It's a big learning curve but I still have 6 months to go before I can get a hip fix so it's "suck it up princess" for me, coz siting on the couch is just not an option.
I also learnt today that a Michelin MS3 (mid soft) front tyre is the absolute WRONG tyre for dry, hard, rocky bush. I tried it a t 10, 12 & 14 psi but it's a game of Russian roulette at every corner! On the other hand I discovered that an RHK intermediate rear (sort of a Pirelli 32 copy) is a damn good tyre for $70 RRP. After an hour of thrashing on a 250 2T with a clutch abusing rider, I expected it to be destroyed but you can hardly tell it's been used. Having said all that I think I'll stick to what I know best, Bridgestone X30 intermediates, they are good pretty much in every terrain.
Never too old to learn something & if you want to learn something new, ask someone old.
K

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Re: Learning curve
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »
if that's your "psychin' out the opposition" for the pre 78 at Yanakie it aint working....

;D

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »
On the subject of tyres , traction , learning curves and aching bits  ..............
  Out for a ride today at a mates place.
  Did about an hour on my  Husky 250 then   onto  my Husky XC500  (the first time in about six months on the 500)
   Warm up the big girl & away we go...  1 minute later.... too much throttle in  2nd  gear on a nice bit of grass track  had  front wheel skyward  so fast .... up & over we went.
 (Many a vinduro  on this bike without a get off on this bike  .....until today)

Lessons learnt ......this time....... I hope  :-[.
  1 . I should have known better  and taken it steady for the first few laps ..... Too complacent & the big girl bit Me.

2. Well into  my 40's &  getting closer to 50 so the aches take longer to subside .
     I  should have known better  &  my right  shoulder is telling me this  tonight . :-[

3 .  Dunlop Geomax  MX51 has great  traction for  big bores on a grass track ::)

Regards ,
                 Steve

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:02:19 pm by b490 »

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 07:12:22 am »
Hi bigK,the fact your pushing through the pain just to have a ride is great,not the pain part but the fact your still on the bike.Theres so many capable people out there that say Im too sore to do this or that.Im 39 and suffer from major back pain and pay for it big time everytime I ride[mainly the days after]but Ill keep riding,as you said its better than lying back on the lounge.

Offline Ken 737

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:40 am »
Yes, well done guys. That's what it is all about, having a good time on the bikes with your mates.
Ride safe and have fun.
Cheers
Ken
Suzuki fan - TM and RM
Love my IT too ????

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:53:17 am »
The joys of getting old(er) after many years of thinking we were indestructible!

I've come to realise that just about every injury I had in my younger days comes back to remind me of the time it happened as I get out of bed in the morning.
None of it stops me doing "life" but some days take a bit longer than others to get the motivation into gear!
Keep goin Mick, we're a long time dead and as you rightly pointed out....the couch is not an option
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline pecrazy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:06:16 am »
Is 40 considered old? Reminds me of my father, he was 70 when he retired off the farm and moved into town. He was introducing himself to the new neighbour who said he had heard that the house was bought by an elderly couple. My father was taken back a bit as he hadn't considered himself elderly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:57:49 am by pecrazy »

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:04:08 am »
Is 40 considered old?

Not old, but into my  40's  that's when I reckon   (for Me  anyhow ) ,  things can  take longer to heal ......so  happy with just a steady pace out on the trails these days .
 My right shoulder is going to remind Me about yesterdays 500 incident for the next week , at least. 

Still ; is nothing too bad when compared to Big Ks  injury woes . 

Good on Big K    for hanging in there & still having a go.

Regards ,
                          Steve

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:13:49 am by b490 »

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 08:00:50 am »
Just a follow up to our conversation regarding replacement hips Mick. Had mine replaced 9 weeks ago (I'm 58) cycled 40 k's yesterday (with surgeons blessing) also fired up the Bulty for a few blasts up and down the drive (not with the surgeons blessing!) like you Mick I had to wait an extra year due to health insurance stuff up. Hang in there mate as it's worth it. Cheers J

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 08:50:28 am »
Good news Jerry, seems the standard report from all I've spoken to who've had it done. I'm hanging out for it, everything is stuffed up from the hip misalignment. My knee has now decided to really give me some curry, I guess it's been taking a lot of extra load & has called it quits for a while. Hopefully I can stay sane till November.
K

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
the old man has had 3 hip replacements and he is 92 :o (1 was a dud) can you be so lucky?.. ive had a dream run, 58 years old and no real bike related injuries,  last run at harrow I did 3 laps no probs BUT a week ago, I did the back lifting a round bale for the f$%#$%$#$%$$king horses... It sort off came good and I went for a ride with a mate and 2km in , I baulked and slipped of to one side to stop the bike falling.... im crippled!!!, the back let go and it was very: 1. painfull, 2,. depressing.... ive spent a week between "its the disc and im gone forever" to some sunlight now with it feeling much better so im hoping its muscular and in a few weeks I can start some light riding to try and strengthen the support muscles. at least I can read all the books ive read before and cant remember the ending....

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 09:31:04 am »
That's we get for being broken, narky, old bald pricks! Welcome to the club.
K

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
not old just RIPE

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 10:02:25 pm »
Ive got this thing in my shoulder to remind me not to fall off any more. Its really slowed me down so I now spend most of the weekend keeping out of the way of everyone quicker, sometimes the pain limits how much I can ride at Vinduro and sometimes it hardly bothers me at all. But I don’t let it stop me from doing what I love and that’s getting out there on the loop with my mates  ;D for that im thankful.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »
Good luck mate, me old Grampa had it done at 90 and within a few months was kneeling on the lawn bent over painting weed with round up, I walked up thinking he was haveing a hearty till i saw the paint brush ;D