Author Topic: best fuel to run?  (Read 12604 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: best fuel to run?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 09:54:19 pm »
I have a YZ 465 with the same mods done you have listed. I have run it with 98, 100 and 105 unleaded. It runs way cooler on 98 pump gas therefore giving it more power in longer motos. Its last outing on 98 was 8x10 min and 2x15 min motos with a very fast kid on it for 9 wins and a second. Running the higher octane fuels previous to this resulted in a second lap seizure and numerous run on problems. I would stick to 98 if i was you. As for oil i use Maxima 927 castor at 30:1 which smells identical to Castrol R
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline denidave

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 10:09:56 pm »
I have a YZ 465 with the same mods done you have listed. I have run it with 98, 100 and 105 unleaded. It runs way cooler on 98 pump gas therefore giving it more power in longer motos. Its last outing on 98 was 8x10 min and 2x15 min motos with a very fast kid on it for 9 wins and a second. Running the higher octane fuels previous to this resulted in a second lap seizure and numerous run on problems. I would stick to 98 if i was you. As for oil i use Maxima 927 castor at 30:1 which smells identical to Castrol R

That sounds like good enough advice for me to take, Thank you kindly. the cooler running will be what I'm after as its going on rego and will be planning to do some longer rides in the bush. not flat out all the time but used for longer periods than an mxer does

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 10:25:00 pm »
Motorex is good, silkolene is good, Bel Ray is good..........................
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 10:26:57 pm »
I run a B8ES plug but would maybe consider a 9 for road and trail.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 10:29:47 pm »
Motorex, Silkolene and Bel Ray also do nothing to support VMX in Australia. Maxima do. Support the brands that support us

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 11:02:50 pm »
I have several close friends with aircraft and can get Avgas hand over fist. Have to pay for it though, not cheap either. For a bit of fun? A trail ride. No thanks, not for me. I doubt the vast majority here could even get avgas for love or money.

BP98 is the most consistent retail bowser fuel on the market.
And I dont say this just because the Australian karting association's knowledge of that fact

I say it from past working experience in the bulk supply oil industries, seeing how bulk fuel is handled. Once being privy to test results.
There are a hell of a lot of slops created as a result of bulk fuel transfers. See all those giant tanks when you drive by your local terminal tank farms? well at least one of those large tanks is what they call slops tanks. By federal law the companies are not supposed to blend back the slops into retail petrol at a rate of greater than 3% of delivery volume to the service stations.
Well,,,they are not supposed to  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Oh, I meant to say interface slops and mistakes and pumping brake down slops ::) ::) ::)
These interface slops are a mix of various petrols, diesel, Kerosense(Jet A1)
They cannot be blended back into diesel or jet fuel for obvious reasons.
They can only be blended back into the two lower levels of petrol, plain ULP and Premium to a lesser extent.
They are not blended into BP98.
BP98 is the most consistent retail pump fuel in Oz.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:56:18 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 11:13:49 pm »
Motorex, Silkolene and Bel Ray also do nothing to support VMX in Australia. Maxima do. Support the brands that support us

I agree Ted, it is just plain shameful and un-Australian not to support those who support us. Particularly when a local value for money choices exist.

Where will this sport be when it losses supporters like
Maico@chippys
Maxima
Prime Eight
Engineered environments
VMX mag
Graeme for this forum
Etc,
Etc,

Be grateful, support those who support the old dirt bike scene :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:40:16 am by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 06:17:14 am »
I'm an advocate of RF100 100% of the time no question.
It's readily available but you do pay good $ for it.
For me that's fine as I race dirt track so I'm not pulling 30 minute motos.
If i had to use bowser fuel I'd definitely be using BP ultimate. I have spoken directly with one of BP's petrochemical engineers who advised that BP ULTIMATE contains zero ethanol. All the other brands higher octane blends contain traces of ethanol in varying ratios.
Ethanol eats fibreglass tanks (delaminates) so I boycott the stuff like the plague!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 08:23:30 am »
Talking of Maxima 927, it is the oil of choice for Go Kart engines.....and there isn't any 2 stroke engines that work harder than what they do....it is also very clean as it does not leave deposits on pistons etc. If your local supplier doesn't have it, tell them to get it in. Maxima is the #1 selling motorcycle oil in the USA. And like the boy's say, they support VMX.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 08:28:23 am »
Yep, Maxima 927 and nothing else for 2 bangers in our family, big chance you may need to make jetting changes going from pump fuel to Avgas.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:22 pm »
Over here on this side of the island.. the Motorex dealer does a lot for the VMX scene.. don't forget there is another side to this sport over here.. :-*

Offline denidave

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
Thanks guys will go the maxima927 for sure then, always happy to support those who support vmx in any way.  I'll also go the bp98  and a 9 heat range plug.   
The reason I asked of the avgas is that was the hot ticket years ago and it is readily available here at the bowser for around $2.20 a litre and I usually grab a bit to put in any bikes that are sitting for longer than a month or two cos any other fuel seems to go stale in that time range.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
just to add fuel to the fire....I run motorex fully snyth at (wait for it) 80 and 100 to 1 in my 400 husky 84 and the 010 300 kato

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 08:00:38 am »
Ive allways run Motul 800 in all my bikes at 50:1,big or small bore with BP ultimate.
Also in all my karts at a richter ratio and never nipped or blown up.
Engines allways clean on pull down.

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:58 pm »
Anyone know how much of our fuel is imported here in Australia?