Author Topic: 69 400 Cross  (Read 2923 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
69 400 Cross
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »
I got offered a 69 400 Cross to use in pre70 next season today, are there any downfalls with them ie known weak points or parts that are impossible to get?
How different will I find it to ride compared to my 73 CZ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:38:58 PM by tony27 »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 69 400 Cross
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
get on to café husky website, you will find all you need to know

Offline jimbo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
 Hi Tony, l have got a couple of oval cr 400's and l used to race one of them.The 400's are powerful and  have a lot of torque ,the right hand change takes some getting used too,they behave much better to clutch and rolling off the throttle  gear changing. the biggest problem   l have found over the years has to do with primary sprockets and clearance around the output shaft  not really a big deal though, handling is a acquired art   and with the shortness of the swing -arm they like to pick -up the front wheel  good luck JIMBO!

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
Great engines and very easy to work on
Certainly a winning machine when set up properly
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »
Picking it up mid June due to working through the weekends in May, a test ride has been mentioned  before I come home, needing the clutch & rolling the throttle off is pretty much the opposite of the CZ.
What about the handling is the acquired art?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
Tony, jimbo said handling is an acquired art, that's for sure. When we [Tim G] were the importers in nz i tried the bosses 360 but--i dunno--i hate change & the husky was so different. i'm probably thinking "74 or so because i even tried leading axle front end out off something. Think they were just so short that they kicked around a lot & are made for railing around grooves on corners for quick turning on european tracks back in the day. In saying that, i used a mates WR400 at a muddy flat track at Manfeild in "74 so was tarseal then off into the middle & loved it, could do anything wrong. Think his WR might've been longer in the arm than the CR Husky--was 6 speed but didn't seem 'that' wide in ratios but had bulk linnear power from zero to higher revs than i should've been revving it to lol. Had a full flywheel mag too but not sure if the 400 cross has an internal rotor [would think not]. Nice motors inside. I do remember another mate on a sponsored early 400 or 450 having a hell of a time getting the front sprocket off at a meeting even with a good puller as is on a taper [no key] just tight. I'd like to try all those times again & think i was just too ingrained in the Japanese stuff [still am lol]. Will be chalk & cheese to the CZ bt hey if it's free to use then go & learn it & enjoy, just don't ride both on the same day & try to put comparing out of your mind--always been my downfall. Feel free to correct me on anything, was a long time ago but were enjoyable times in life.