Author Topic: Why are parts for the 81 RM's so hard to come by ???  (Read 5580 times)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Why are parts for the 81 RM's so hard to come by ???
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »
Hi all,

What's the go with the 81 RM series, the X models , they seem very hard to get parts for. There seems to be more bits available for 1980 and 1982 models ?? Was the 81 a full model year? What the go...

Interested to hear your opinions.

JS

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Why are parts for the 81 RM's so hard to come by ???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »
RM250X was a one year only model, while it shares most of the plastics from the 81-83 125,250,465,500 range, there are only parts unique to that year as it was the last air cooled 250. Contact Tossa as he was resoring one and may have spares or at least some advice on locating parts.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:46:51 pm »
I've found a surprising number of parts available from the local dealer, via Suzuki Australia.
I look up the part numbers on line (often on a US site, which gives me the $US price for comparison.)
The local guy feeds these into his computer and advises me price and availability.
Lots of stuff not available as well. Like the 250, the 125X engine was one year only.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »
maybe silly question but have you checked out www.vintagesuzuki.com - have lots of bits.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:26 pm »
I dont understand what u mean by a one year only model?  Aren't all the models for one year...the Z series, D series etc? I hear a lot about how "rare" the X model is and how much more expensive they are restored...just cant understand why.

Ive been scouring the internet and have come across the vintage suzuki site you've mentioned amongst others.

Cheers

JS

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 09:38:48 pm »
the 250X was the last of the aircooled engines before going water cooled for the Z. It featured a full reed system as opposed to the case reed system that Suzuki had used for years, finishing on the T model. I was luck enough to come across a one owner example which hadn't been molested (but all the wear and tear items were worn out given the age), tidied it up and rode it in Viper for a few years, absolutely loved it. Some parts as previously stated are very hard to get, but with some patience and scouring the web most bits you can eventually find. From memory I had a machinist turn up spacers for the Full Floater rocker arm so I could use off the shelf roller bearings as the genuine units while still available were horribly expensive. When rebuilding the shock I found a late model Showa seal head fitted straight in, possibly from a CRF450R 2002-2008 ? Suzuki still had stocks of a lot of the parts for this model when I had mine (2010 when I  "restored" it, a while ago now I realise).
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:16:19 pm »
I dont understand what u mean by a one year only model?  Aren't all the models for one year...the Z series, D series etc? I hear a lot about how "rare" the X model is and how much more expensive they are restored...just cant understand why.

Ive been scouring the internet and have come across the vintage suzuki site you've mentioned amongst others.

Cheers

JS

Often models only have minor upgrades for a year or two, then a bigger redesign.
So for example: gaskets, pistons, gearbox and clutch parts might fit a number of years.

The X model motors are orphans. The 250Z was the first water cooled 250 Zuk, and the 125Z went away from "case reed" induction. (Totally different looking cylinder) A step backwards depending who you speak to - easier, but slower.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:42:51 am »
Yep all of the above

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 07:47:52 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys it's interesting to read the history and find out more about the X model. It's been on my radar to get one for a while, now I have one to restore !!

Cheers

JS

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »
I had one brand new in 1981.
Now I have one again - such is the nature of VMX!

Bike looks like it did in 1981. Me, not so much!

I remember the bearings (heim joints?) at the top of the two vertical rods on the Full Floater set up we're stupidly expensive back in the day. Inflation has kept pace well. They are now absurdly expensive.

As someone mentioned, I might look at machining and or spacers to try to adapt something more sanely available.

Anyone have any details of options?

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 09:33:46 pm »
What plastics do you have on your bike ?

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »
Original tank.
I think most of the rest are "DC plastics".

I couldn't recommend the "GP replica single sided airbox" (but my original was in poor shape)

Offline John Smith

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:41:25 am »
Did you do the resto or buy it restored?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 08:52:20 am »
bought one quite a few years ago [in nz this is] sight unseen & turned out a nightmare. Gave up as could see where the cost was heading & sold it on to someone more enthusiastic who might've had parts or could machine things up himself. Main stumbling block [for me] & one to watch for was the alloy rings cast into the crankcases for the main bearings had fallen to bits, so idealy new cases required, cases made of unobtanium!!. For me anything else was easily fixed or jacked up to work. Loved the look of that model. Hope you get yours up & running without breaking the bank. ps, why don't they have steel inserts like all my old DT/RT early [& think later] yamy trails. Weight saving maybe!!.

Offline Slow Pete

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 09:21:49 am »
I have just restored one, it was in reasonable shape to begin with so rode it for a year before doing a bottom up rebuild.    Parts are available just harder to find.   All your seals, bearings and many other parts are still available from Suzuki in Australia so always try there first.

Anything else is available on the net.   I even found a never used NOS set of center cases on the net.

pm me and I will send you me email address as I may be able to help.

They were one of the best RMs ever so worth persevering.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:27:00 am by Slow Pete »
Past owner of.  Bultaco 125,  Suzuki RM250A, RM125C, RM125T, RM400N, RM125X, Maico AW250 1977.   Presently 81 RM250X , 87 RM125H , 86 RM250G & 81 RM125X.   Current projects 80 RM400T & 78 RM125C