Author Topic: Hmmm stress test on Wed :-/  (Read 8155 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Hmmm stress test on Wed :-/
« on: April 04, 2016, 05:42:25 pm »
Going for my first stress test on Wed, might be followed by an angiogram, my cholesterol has shot-up due to my change in diet 'high fat, low carb'.  No pains in the chest, just shortage of breath when walking up hills.  I guess we have to expect this stuff as we get older.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm stress test on Wed :-/
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:43:46 pm »
Welcome to my world!

Did my stress test two weeks ago, Echocardiogram last week and Angiogram next Thurs.

Cholesterol is a little high, blood pressure on the high end of the normal range but the same breathlessness you mention.
OK up to a point then it all turns to shit

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:08:23 pm »
beware john....ol mate was sent for  a stress test which was put off due to a crisis in the hospital. the next day he struggled up the hill on his morning walk and decided he should go to casualty as he felt unwell.
the quack on duty listened to his story and sent him straight to Melbourne for a quadruple bypass. his simple words were "lucky you missed that stress test, you would have dropped dead on the treadmill"

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:22:33 pm »
I've had a few.
Last due to drinking coffee prior to an Aviation medical (as best I can figure out).
The "caffeine assisted" resting ECG seemed fine to everyone but CASA.....
Next thing I'm on an exercise bike, going flat out while a pretty nurse is "ultra-sounding" my heart. ("Stress Echo Test"?)

If I live to be 150yo I might know enough to keep myself out of trouble. - Unlikely with my high cholesterol and family history.....

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:03 pm »
I'm 58 about 5 years ago I had some chest discomfort that mimicked a cardiac event (I'm a paramedic) dropped into work for a 3 lead ECG nothing to see but the boss ran me down to ED. Nothing on the 12 lead ECG and my blood was ok IE no elevated troponium levels. Old mate cardiologist rolled up and said we better have an angiogram to make sure. Woke up next morning to find him standing there and said I had the heart of a 25 year old and to bugger off home. I then remembered I had picked up a shitty DR 250 engine that must have weighed 150 kg the day before and I probably strained a muscle in my chest. Seemed a bit of a waste of time initially and I felt like a bit of an imposter. But, on reflection I'm glad I treated the pain seriously and as a bonus got the ok to continue to behave like a 25 year old. Be careful out there guys. Cheers Jerry

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:33 pm »
I'm near 60 also and had my stress tests a bit late,.... Hmm heart attack and now have stents.... Have the first item listed John, it really can help avoid items two and three ;) Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:00:40 pm »
Like Jerry, years ago, I pulled some chest muscles (racing go carts).
The resulting pain mimicked possible heart problems close enough for me to end up on a treadmill.....

No coffee before medicals, think hard about what you have done lifting/straining wise.

As Jerry and Tim say: extra tests are better than too few.

I hope yours is a waist of time John!

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:20 am »
John,

The moment you start to get short of breath or it doesn't feel right stop the test don't be a typical Ozzie hero and push on.
These test are designed to bring on cardiac events so they can see what's happening but can push you into full arrest.

For all my fellow more senior VMX'ers(over 40) we all know the typical signs to look out for
The tightning of the chest, feeling someone is squeezing your heart, shortness of breath and pain in the lower right arm.

Now for the not well known
Feeling of severe heart burn, dull ache in the jaw, pain across the shoulder blades, sharp pain under the right bicep and general feeling of unwell all of a sudden with severe sweating.

These warning signs can come on any time, the known signs usually come on during exertion and the not well know they can come on a couple of hours or even the next day after heavy exertion.

I don't give this advice lightly as I have had a quadruple bypass and a series of stents put in.( plus worked in emergency service for 30 years, 8 as a paramedic)
If in doubt get it check don't put it off.

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:02:50 pm »
Going for my first stress test on Wed, might be followed by an angiogram, my cholesterol has shot-up due to my change in diet 'high fat, low carb'.  No pains in the chest, just shortage of breath when walking up hills.  I guess we have to expect this stuff as we get older.

I find this really interesting John, I've been doing the same low carb high fat diet and have never felt fitter? Go figure. I'm 56 and have dropped 25 kgs in the past 12 months, never been one for strenuous exercise, none during my weight loss either, I'm more alert, more focused and way more energetic. Don't forget though, high cholesterol has not been linked to heart disease scientifically. Some of the countries with the highest cholesterol have the lowest levels of heart disease.
Tony.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 11:49:02 pm »
All the very best John, I hope your results are all good. Remember all, the warranty has run out at 40 and all the real serious problems start at 50. Always and I will say that again Always look into those little niggles and pains as they could be your body's warning signs of a real problem. Anyone that has seen my scar that goes from one side of my body all the way over to the other side and the 60 staple scars that held the opening closed will tell you never let it get that bad that the doctors have to open you up. Look after yourself, if not for you do it for your love ones. They need you.

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:29:36 am »
John,

Good luck on your "Dyno" run!  Take their advice, because I need a rider for the Mighty CR480.  ;)

I have suffered two sudden cardiac arrests (V-Fib) within 2.5 years and I am still here to talk about it.  I was in the right place at the right time for the wrong reason, both times.  After two years of being good I got cocky and got off my diet.  six months later I was on the ground again with no heart beat.

Take care of yourself, listen to your doctors and your body!
 :)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
Hope you're all good John. My theory is that we're given a "finite" number of heartbeats at birth & it's in all our best interests to keep fit as possible to keep our resting heartbeats as low as possible. Once you use your heartbeats up it's all over! My resting heart rate at 53  is 46BPM (same as when I was 25 playing football), so if my theory works I should last longer than someone of the same age who's heart rate is 80bpm (barring a life ending accident). No science here, just a theory & a bit of motivation to continue to exercise to keep fit enough, for long enough, to do the things I want to.
K

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »
you could be the healthiest corpse in the cemetery at this rate mick!

longevity relies on the gene pool predominantly and our lifestyle second as Big K states. unfortunately, when we should be laying down our lifestyle habits, we think we are invincible and live like there's no tomorrow..go figure.... now the writing is on the wall, we are scrambling to stay in the race!!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »
ps hope it goes ok John as I suspect that motorbike riders are basically healthy.   

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 02:58:31 pm »
Pity a good, low resting heart rate does sweet stuff all for a couple of rooted hips. I guess that's the flip side of an active youth, I've worn the things out! I know John has had his hips fixed so let's hope his shortness of breath is nothing to sinister.
K