Author Topic: catalyst ABC  (Read 2183 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
catalyst ABC
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »
On TV now WA time....Kevlar and leather and some great research.
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: catalyst ABC
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:20:25 pm »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:51 pm »
Appreciated, thanks ;)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:38:01 am »
Interesting stuff . When you look inside the cheap Aldi bike jeans you see the good stuff as shown on the show.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:33:52 am »
The rating system sounds like a good idea.
We are really in the dark re performance of things like "Kevlar jeans" and textile jackets/pants.

Even more in the dark regarding ventilation (touted as important, especially in Aus)

Some companies claim their product out performes the competition. (By a fair margin on their bar graph) I think they are claiming some Kevlar better than others.

On a tangent: I've been thinking lately that MX protection hasn't improved much since the late '70s. Going backwards in some areas.
Apart from the fact we all used to race in leather gloves and pants, many of us used shoulder guards that had "cups" suspended above the vulnerable shoulder. I can remember bouncing off trees with my Jofama armour under my Tycon padded jersey.

These days "the look" seems to dictate a minimalist roost protector under the jersey.

Knee braces are the biggest tech breakthrough. (As well as neck and wrist braces)

Boots are slightly more protective, but heavier and harder on the knees.

Lots of the gear is cooler and more comfortable- but doesn't last anything like it used to.

Every time I buy a new pair of MX pants they seem flimsier than the last pair/model. (All Fox "360". I'm probably going to try another brand. Any suggestions?)

Have fun, stay safe (ish)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:10:32 pm »
I've got a 15(?) year old pair of Fox nylons with Kevlar knee panels that are still intact.
I've also got a one-wear-old pair of Fox nylons with leather knee panels that have holes worn in them...

>:(
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.