Author Topic: oxygenated Race Fuel  (Read 10767 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: oxygenated Race Fuel
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 07:12:03 pm »
how could someone know you had octane booster added?

Simple. Kevin just told use he uses it. Also a fuel test would show it up.
Without testing or the rider admitting it no one would know they were cheating.
Some of the fancy race fuels smell very different in the can and also out the exhaust. Their fumes are also extremly carcinogenic and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them running.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:58 pm »
2016 MOMS

What a lousy list: absolutely baffling with the use of "and" and "or" across separate points.
 c) and d) should be part of b).
It also makes no sense to restrict Unleaded fuel for octane/additives, while not applying those restrictions to methanol and leaded fuels.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Pure methanol would have zero additives I assume but Leaded fuel and homologated fuel does seems unrestricted regarding additives. Me I just use 98 pump gas.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 11:41:55 pm »
If it is common practice to use the Maxima octane booster who has been selling it as a legal product for VMX use?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 12:57:02 am »

None,nil, nada, zilch...................unless a sample was sent to a laboratory or using a Digitron tester and even then there would be difficult task to detect any octane booster. Which is more often then not tolulene which is already a major component of fuel.

Having the benefit of back to back testing many fuels on a dyno up to Elf Moto124(124 octane) there are very few true pour in the tank hp fuels. All require changes to compression and ignition to get the most out of
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 10:53:33 am »
I know from a very reliable source who works on late model MX bikes for a living that in one of his modern 250F's he tried one of the $16 per litre race fuels and after some jetting changes couldn't believe how much extra go it had. Didn't go on a dyno but seat of the pants thought something like 8HP extra and would match 450F's in a straight line. The fuel in question is not one of the homoligated fuels but was eye opening as to what is available and what they do for a relatively stock engine.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 02:39:33 pm »
thought so.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 05:12:28 pm »
just read the MOMS - so ANY fuel so long as it has a poofteenth of lead in it is ok?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »
just read the MOMS - so ANY fuel so long as it has a poofteenth of lead in it is ok?

That's what it says.

Like so many things in MA's CMX world, I'm sure that's not what they intended, but it is what they've said.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 01:04:26 pm »

Simple. Kevin just told use he uses it. Also a fuel test would show it up.
Without testing or the rider admitting it no one would know they were cheating.
Some of the fancy race fuels smell very different in the can and also out the exhaust. Their fumes are also extremly carcinogenic and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them running.

Still have to prove it.  I won't be using it anymore.

Just another point the smell a fuel makes does not mean it is "Race Fuel".  I use synthetic castor oil and have been told by several people "you're using race fuel".  No it is the oil that creates that smell.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 02:48:22 pm »
You couldn't exclude anyone on anything as ambiguous as smell (even before you add 2T oil into it).

Proper fuel testing is expensive and difficult. I mean, it's easy to identify Methanol or Ethanol vs Petrol, but it's quite difficult to prove a sample is a particular type of petrol (and therefore legal or illegal).
Considering what you CAN legally use, I can't see anyone being chased for using a race fuel or octane booster or any of that.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 03:44:08 pm »
Oxygenated fuel- octane booster is not oxydizer, it just increases octane number. Oxydiser woul be somethin like nos it has molecules of oxygen in it. When you add octane booster you will end upp with high octane fuel not oxydized fuel ;)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 04:30:32 pm »
Oxygenated fuel- octane booster is not oxydizer, it just increases octane number. Oxydiser woul be somethin like nos it has molecules of oxygen in it. When you add octane booster you will end upp with high octane fuel not oxydized fuel ;)

You are correct in that an octane booster is just that but Oxygenated fuel or additive are an oxygen producing compound better known as chemical supercharging. Just google Nitropropane or Nitromethane. The nitromethane is mainly used in Methanol and has always been banned in motorcyle racing in Australia. There are plenty of Power additives and race fuels out there that contain oxygenating compounds like the nitropropane or another called MTBE. If you realy want a scary read google health effects of MTBE.
Unfortunatley it seems at the moment that it is a free for all as far as fuel goes and unless MA was prepared to provide a dozen or more sample bottles for random testing at the title meatings it will not change.