Author Topic: New Magazine  (Read 4823 times)

miniwheels

New Magazine
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:32:14 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted before but seems to be a new mag out called motorcyclist retro in the USA , looks to cover vintage dirt and road classic bikes http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/122_0804_motorcyclist_retro/index.html, maybe a good read in between VMX issues.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New Magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:21:48 pm »
Hey Miniwheels,
I have a copy of Motorcyclist Retro [don't ask how] and it is a good read. They cover the broad spectrum of the Retro bike movement - from late 60's till the 80's [from memory]. Dirt and road, MX and Road Racing, minis, dirt track etc, etc.

I have just heard from the editor that they have been approved by their publisher to go bi-monthly next year and offer subscriptions - so you will be able to get ahold of it through the mail.

It is a good addition to VMX.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:27:33 pm »
sounds good.  and that pommy one, is it classic motorcycle mechanics, is a good read too - who'da thought there'd be so many obscure little seventies and eighties japanese (and other) commuter bikes and middleweight road bikes and stuff still around in 2008?

good to have lots of choice in reading matter.  like vmxman, who came over to my place last saturday to get me to weld some metal on his RM125S footpegs to keep his footsies on....and paid with a big stack of old '07 and '08 Transworld Motocross and Racer X magazines - woohoo!!

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:35 pm »
Whatever happened to Doughtys Retro Moto magazine?http://www.retromotomagazine.com/index.html
I've got reports back from my American friends that it's pretty awful. Anybody here seen a copy?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:56 pm »
Firko,
Ken showed me a copy when he came and stole my Motorcyclist Retro mag. I can't say it is impressive but I am sure they are all very proud of it [as the Yanks always are]. I wonder if issue 2 will surface?

But no, I won't be subscribing, even if it is cheap.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:29:37 pm »
Hi Guys,
Here is a look at the cover of Issue 2 of Motorcyclist Retro. Should be available [if you know someone in the US] in about 4 weeks. Looks like a good issue.

Mitch asked that I let you know that it is also available electronically at: on www.zinio.com <http://www.zinio.com

Thanks
VMX42

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:32:44 pm »
Have spotted this new RETRO mag advertisemnet in RACER X mag, along with a few pages of VMX Throwback Days,with of course a Maico on the first page  :-\  ;)
great to see  another VMX write up in a 08 mag   ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:42 am »
Firko,
Ken showed me a copy when he came and stole my Motorcyclist Retro mag. I can't say it is impressive but I am sure they are all very proud of it [as the Yanks always are]. I wonder if issue 2 will surface?

But no, I won't be subscribing, even if it is cheap.
VMX42

Please, please do not associate Mr Doughty with my nationality......am I supposed to think you are f.....g crocodile dundee, Angus Young or some other bull..it?  VMX is THE Vintage Motocross publication period-there have been others who tried , but not worth the $.
Thanks MJ
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:12:07 pm by Maicojames »
Life is suddenly very Monaro

firko

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:04 am »
James...I hope you didn't think I was criticising Americans! I've got Michael McCook from Pennsylvania staying here right now and he has a similar opinion to nearly everyone about Doughty and his rag.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 07:46:10 am »
The check is in the mail Maicojames... ;)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:20 am »
Hey MJ,
Actually yes, I F@%king I do! But for some reason the wild water buffalo don't seem to respect my Croc Dundee/School Boy outfit!! Don't know what it is? Might be my white knobbly knees or perhaps the fear in my eyes or maybe the size of my boy scout pen-knife?
VMX42

P.S. if you really don't want Mr Doughty, you always have Guantanamo Bay. They don't seem particulary selective in their entrance requirements and they seem quite happy to personally collect their candidates, free of charge, from almost anywhere in the world. Give them a call…

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:03 pm »
Hey MJ,
Actually yes, I F@%king I do! But for some reason the wild water buffalo don't seem to respect my Croc Dundee/School Boy outfit!! Don't know what it is? Might be my white knobbly knees or perhaps the fear in my eyes or maybe the size of my boy scout pen-knife?
VMX42

P.S. if you really don't want Mr Doughty, you always have Guantanamo Bay. They don't seem particulary selective in their entrance requirements and they seem quite happy to personally collect their candidates, free of charge, from almost anywhere in the world. Give them a call…

And all Americans are supporters of the Irag war, Gauntanamo Bay fiasco, Bush and everything that goes with it? Hmmmmm. I have not made any statements here to support that. In fact, I have been quite vocal here about situations when I thought people were misrepresenting bikes from the US, I think trying to take advantage of OZ VMX riders.
BTW for the most part, the US Vintage Racers hold all the OZ VMX racers in very high regard, as the most dedicated, and innovative in the world. Your bigoted rant has done nothing to change that, either.
 So, it's so nice to see the lack of predjudice in our world today!!!
Cheers
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:12:08 pm »
Sorry MJ,
I never tried to offend you, although I seem to have made a pretty good fist of it without trying.
Read it again and you might just see that I was joking!!!!!!!! You know… humour [or as you know it humor].

All this seems agro to have stemmed from my initial throwaway comment about Americans always being proud of things that eminate from their country [you might not see that in yourself, but that is the way the US is portrayed to the rest of the world - and who is to say it is a bad thing].

All the other assumptions you have made are just that, assumptions - funny that is exactly what you have so eloquently and forcefully accused me of. You seem to have gone out of your way to read between the lines, when in fact there was nothing there to read.

And yes, I am aware of the enthusiastic assistance you have offered to the OzVMXers - a generous offer and well received and appreciated. The regard between VMX enthusiasts that you speak of is reciprocated and enjoyed by the members of this site.

If I have affended you, I am sorry. But again, it was a joke - I thought the Croc Dundee/School boy outfit might have given it away.
VMX42

magoo

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »
MJ, if you want to know if it was a joke, just picture VMX42 in short pants, now that would be worth a giggle.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 06:04:27 pm »
Ah Magoo, I can always rely on you… Just be thankful I didn't mention the war!