Author Topic: muffler wool  (Read 1929 times)

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
muffler wool
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:43:35 pm »
I think it may have been covered before but I am looking for a different packing to what I have been getting at Team moto i think its MCS brand, perforated mat/blanket type packing. The problem is that it tends to "melt" out the resin and it creates a hard shell on the surface that is wrapped around the perforated tube, then the muffler then stops muffling. Also the holes in my dg muffler tube are about 2 to 3mm diametre and i find that the carbon sticks or melts onto the blanket that is next to the hole and it stops muffling. I think I need to drill bigger holes and try some other wool or muffling medium, anyone got any hints on other successful muffling materials. I know i should not be pissing around with the bike this close to Conondale but I have already pulled out the perforated tube and need to use something better this time around.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: muffler wool
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:53:32 pm »
Get some Silent Sport.. can't beat it.  Most dealerships can order it in, or just order it off the net!

Doc

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:15:18 pm »
Tony I used to go to the boat building places and grab a bag of fibreglass wool from the scrap bin for nix. It works well but itches like all hell if you happen to get it on you. Doesn't seem to clog as quickly as the finer wools or the matting but eventually they all clag up so best to have easilly repackable mufflers from the onset. I also find R30 or similar castor based oils clog them quickly as well. If the mattings free then repacking before each meet isn't a big job and will probably from this point in time and on will need to be included in any pre race preperation schedule ;) Muffling is a factor that has a couple of my bikes parked till I can figure some (not too drastic/expensive) method to quieten them sufficiently :-\

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:04 pm »
you should always wrap the perf tube
in stainless steel wool then wrap the fibre packing around the outside
that is the correct way to do it 8)
just ask me i will tell you so ;D ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:48 am »
steel wool hey? what does that do? does it help with the heat?
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:04 am »
Yes

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 08:23:34 am »
Thanks Russel, I wrapped steel wool, drilled out the holes bigger ( wadda fuggin job that was) and then wrapped DEP wool over it, and she sounds Beeeeuaatiful ...
PS Russel any chance of you bringing my 180 clams to Conondale for me, thanks

Doc

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 09:23:50 pm »
mmmm...good tip the Russ! had to do a quick change on the RM400 muffler myself this arv..she had a hell of a bark to her but I didn't have time for a repack so I fitted a great big heavy silencer that's a little quieter. The F11 and the RM125A/B are now late scratchings due to teething problems so it's now only the RM400, TM125 and RM/TM125S. More than enough to keep me occupied for the weekend ;)