Author Topic: Here we go again ????  (Read 7625 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Here we go again ????
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »
One for the officials out there.....I know you love this siht so....

G.C.R 12.25.6.1 "Efficient brakes are to be fitted to the front and rear wheel"

Bike is an ATK 406 with the rear brake on the front sprocket shaft,
Does this , or doesn't this comply with the rules and will I be able to race it?
Yes I have already sent a email to MA requesting an official response, but it would be interesting to see what scrutineers, CoC's and stewards think it means.

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Here we go again ????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:41 pm »
Yeah ... go for it ... grind away.  And perhaps we'll finally nail a lid on the Forum coffin.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:57 pm »
so regardless of rules and where on the bike the rear brake is does the atk have enough rear braking power to do the job?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:49 pm »
are you going to race it at nationals?

if not then don't bother, it will pass club days and non serious events.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:22 pm »
so regardless of rules and where on the bike the rear brake is does the atk have enough rear braking power to do the job?

Yeah......just hope the chain doesn't snap going down a big hill
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:32:18 pm by evo550 »

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »
are you going to race it at nationals?

if not then don't bother, it will pass club days and non serious events.
Wouldn't mind having a crack, just for giggles????

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:28 am »
Its a classic example of the human factor being the weak link in any rule book .

If the bike owner thinks about it enough he can find holes in just about anything .

If an official or fellow competitor wants to be a C#*T then they can probably question the legality of it.

For approx the first 40  yrs of my life we lived by a thing called common sense and it served us well, even in sport and sport rulings .

However in the last decade and a bit this PC lets question everything and no fecker take responsibility shit  initially crept in and now is marching in and taken over .

Could it be a coincidence that this sort of over thinking and analysing seems to have gained ground with the popularity of internet forums and social media ?

If I was turned away from an event over this particular question I would turn my back on motorcycle racing forever .

Classic and vintage MX was to me like my job ( im a Towie ) the last bastion against the PC monster . But even in these two activities the controlling bullshit is forcing its way in  >:( :(

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline fireyglen

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:35:07 am »
It is fitted to the rear wheel via the chain it would pass.
Heaven #409

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:58 am »
Your sounding like an old man Bill, have you forgotten history?
The ATK’s with this style brake from memory came out in the late 80’s and it was once denied a start at an AMA National in the US because of the brake. This was long before any internet (as we know it) or forum existed.  As far as I know it only ever happened at an AMA National.
I remember a time when guys were refused a start for having fancy numbers on their bikes so I would argue that things are a lot better in our PC world (except for Bill Gates & computers themselves but that’s a rant for another day)

I remember Drakie had a 250 version that I’m pretty sure had full Vic. Reg so you could argue a precedent that it was approved by Vicroads back in the day.
If you did some more research you would probably find someone rode one an Enduro back then making another precedent.

Also Jags had inboard discs on the rear and it could be argued they would have lost brakes if an axle broke yet they were approved for the roads worldwide
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:58 am »
You'd be doing well to break a Jag axle.

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:21 am »
Geoff I didn't know about the AMA ruling  :o

As a young mechanic I had a blue with a dealer principle over a job on an Alfa Sud .

I had replaced the front brake pads on the Alfa , within a couple of days the owner lost a front wheel. He was a mate of the dealer principal so complained to the top .

DP comes straight to me and starts trying to tear me a new one . I tried to explain that you don't have to remove the wheels to replace the pads and he gets worse  ::)

I must apparently be the magician mechanic, and all this old crap. Until  now I had kept my cool but the sarcasm pushed me over the edge . I lifted the bonnet and just about rammed the pricks head under it to show him the inboard disc  >:(

Like a true arsehole though he couldn't be wrong and apparently I should check the wheel nuts anyway .
we parted company not long after as I cant stand arrogant wankers .   
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:02 pm »
12.25.6 Brakes
12.25.6.1 Efficient brakes must be fitted to the front
and rear wheels.

Ok this rule is in the Motocross/Supercross chapter and therefore does not apply to Classic Motocross and Classic Dirt Track.

End of argument.

There is no mention of brakes anywhere in chapter 13 other than in 13.16.2 n).

So you can race without brakes.  The way some riders ride I think they do that now.

I will point this out to MA.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 08:14:23 pm »
I shouldn't fan the flames.

Cables and associated fittings. And torque arms and associated fittings are no less likely to fail than a chain.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if this system was deemed ineligible.

If anyone challenges that an "effective brake isn't fitted to the rear wheel", ask them to turn the wheel while you hold the brake on.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 03:43:43 pm »
I shouldn't fan the flames.

Cables and associated fittings. And torque arms and associated fittings are no less likely to fail than a chain.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if this system was deemed ineligible.

If anyone challenges that an "effective brake isn't fitted to the rear wheel", ask them to turn the wheel while you hold the brake on.
You are not fanning any flames, and don't think you are a shit stirrer for answering the question.
The flame fanners are the ones who have no interest in the thread or contributing to it, but instead write antagonistic comments about the thread and the people who are contributing to it.
Read each comment, determine for yourself who are the flame fanners and who are not.
I thank you for your contribution.
Flame fanners fcuk off.....

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:00 am »
and the response by the CMX commision was........

The Classic MX Commission do not require you to have brakes at all (as per the GCR’s) however should your machine be deemed “unsafe” on the track, the Clerk of the Course has the right to remove it. You would not be deemed unsafe on this machine as it has been presented.

KTM47 wins.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:41:11 am by evo550 »