Author Topic: Open face helmets for VMX  (Read 5981 times)

firko

Re: Open face helmets for VMX
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 05:54:55 pm »
I used open face Bell Magnum helmets for years, right up to the early vintage days. I was an old schooler who thought full face helmets were for Nancy Boys. I was given a Scott Aspen full face (remember them?) as a gift and decided to wear it for the first time in one of the legendary Colo Poker Runs. I hit the deck off my TT600 after getting the front wheel tangled up in a rut, a simple prang with no drama, except for Geoff Eldridge who was following right behind on an ADB test RMX. He couldn't avoid me and ran right over my head at speed. If I'd been wearing an open face helmet, the case guard on the RMX would have taken my face off. The face guard part of the helmet was cracked right accross the jawline and was a total writeoff. I still needed six stitches in a small cut on my neck. It was my first ever event with an open face helmet and I've never raced without one since. I have a number of helmets but my main two are a Bell Moto 7 and a Boeri open face . I only use the open face for tooling around on my trials bike, there's no way I'd race with it.

Tony T

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 08:09:34 pm »
And I suppose GE told you it was an accident............................  ;)

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 08:30:06 pm »
I have a couple of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arai-VX-PRO-3-Barbed-Wire-Silver-Helmet-Medium-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ6749QQihZ015QQitemZ250219460915QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I have worn them forever and I love them, I started using one in the early nineties after hearing that they absorb frontal force better therefore relaying less force to the neck, however with the development and quality of neck braces these days technology has probably caught up with these old girls...

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 11:52:20 pm »
I have a couple of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Arai-VX-PRO-3-Barbed-Wire-Silver-Helmet-Medium-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ6749QQihZ015QQitemZ250219460915QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I have worn them forever and I love them, I started using one in the early nineties after hearing that they absorb frontal force better therefore relaying less force to the neck, however with the development and quality of neck braces these days technology has probably caught up with these old girls...

Can't beat the old Arai.  That's actually an MXC-PRO. A VX Pro has a solid chin bar.  Back in the 90's, I used to run the old MX/a Arai with the bolt on chin bar too.  They were extremely popular.

The thinking Arai has, is that the chin bar should be a crumple zone.  The old bolt on models used to snap off in full frontal impacts, significantly absorbing impact.  You'll also notice the newer solid Arais are very rounded at the front, and all the venting is flush with the shell on the front of the chin bar.  The thinking there is that they don't 'dig in' to the dirt like the more stylish 'scoop' vented helmets do (Fox, etc.)  The VX-Pro III's are also a bit thinner where the chin bar joins the main helmet, so they just crumple there, keeping the pressure off your neck.

I've had an MX/a, VX-Pro, VX-Pro II and VX-Pro III.  The MX/a was actually cut off me by ambos.  It's a nice ornament for my study!

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 09:07:05 am »
I have started a new thread titled "UK Govt Helmet Testing" , it is a new helmet testing system , have a look , be warned though , you might not want to put your favourite helmet back on your head once you read about it
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:15:52 am by geraldo »

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 04:32:35 pm »
jesus shaun has packed the weight on :D :D

Just tryin to lower the centre of gravity Gator.. ha ha
Maico's, the only way to go.