Author Topic: Open face helmets for VMX  (Read 5977 times)

gage

Open face helmets for VMX
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:44 pm »
Hello,
Went to buy an open face helmet today at the bike shop. Got chatting to the lady behind the counter about VMX and she thought open face helmets were not allowed for VMX. She wasn't 100% sure. Can anyone shed some light on this one? I have held off buying an open face helmet till I clarify.

Cheers, Ron

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Open face helmets for VMX
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:53:29 pm »
Ron,

In the MA 2008 MoM's (GCR's too some) Chapter 18, Classic Motocross & Dirt Track, para 18.1.1.1 states; "An approved and correctly fitting helmet which must: a) Carry the Standards Association of Australia "AS1698" label, or b) Be approved under Rule 01.69 & 01.70 of the Road Racing FIM Technical Rules {see Appendix 1]".

Nowhere does it mention "full-face", open face helmets are available which meet the SAA 1698 standard and are therefore legal for Classic Motocross, in fact you are legally allowed to ride in open motocross and supercross events with an open face helmet as the helmet rule is exactly the same. The only MA type of racing that full face hemets are compolsory is road racing, (although you can use an open face helemt in historic road racing).

I have been wearing an open face helmet all this season in the SA reliability series and I will admit that I get strange looks because I am the only person not wearing the obligitory flash-as-Michael Jackson lairy coloured full-face hemet.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

gage

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be back down at the bike shop buying that open face helmet tomorrow.

Cheers, Ron

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »
there were quite a few open face helmets at the nationals which were legal and had the AusStandard marks on them

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:58 am »
aahh yes I remember the split lips and chipped teeth from roost, yes those were the days.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:57:56 am »
...and acceptable added face protection can come in the shape of Jofas and Scott face masks - or in his case, a healthy beard. ;) :D ;D
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:44:44 pm »
I kinda have a preference towards open face helmets. I do have a choice of a nice Bieffe fullface but she sits on the shelf looking like new cause I simply prefer the openface in near all conditions..different strokes I guess, think I paid about $100 for the last THH openface helmet and yes, THH come with the 1698 Australian Standards sticker and yes again, it was approved by MA as quite acceptable for the VMX nationals back in 07 ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:17:38 pm by Doc »

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »
It wouldn't feel the same without my open face RXT + Jofa.  Also gives me better vision to dodge those enthusiastic young 40yr olds crashing & burning in front of me.  Not as hot, too, by the 4th lap.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:17:43 pm »
I still wear an open face helmet for all my offroad riding and about 90% of my road riding, even though I had my face stitched back together (over 200 stitches) in 1975 by a hospital resident, who wanted to be, and later did become a plastic surgeon.  I have 3 fullface helmets, but still always grab the open face when I am heading out on the bike, two of my fullface hemets are still in their boxes and have never been worn.

I have a fairly long beard that provides just the protection mentioned by Wombat, and it did a great job of keeping my face warm in the 24hr until 1:30am when I retired.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:36 pm »
 id never wear an open face helmet i had a crash in 83 that smashed  the front of my then bell moto 3 i only ended with cut bottom lip and two broken teeth if id had an open face on i hate to think what would have happened to my face but each to there own

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:43 am »

For my money I go with the masses and wear a modern fullface over an old school open face.

I went through the Bell open face and joffa mouth guard days, spitting gravel and mud etc etc and figure if the open face helmets were such a great idea then heaps more guys would still be wearing them.

I was fortunate enough to get a Shoei V Moto at a good price and despite the bling factor take comfort in wearing what is arguably one of the safest dirt bike lids around.

For everyones consideration I have sourced some images from the net to check out;

www.oldguy.us/easy-riding/images/helmet2.jpg

www.flamesonmytank.co.za/images/helmetDamage.gif Helmet damage distribution chart note the lower facial damage zones

www.i129.photobucket.com/albums/p230/GuillermoSancho/hel5.jpg Try doing THAT with an open (no face) helmet, and no, the guy in the pic was not dead, although the ambos thought he was at first - until he moved !!!

Fullface for me every time!
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 10:40:41 am »
G`day open is legal  i can supply thh open face for 60.00+ post usually about 15.00 for eastern states + about 8.00 for the other side thanks robin

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 03:31:56 pm »
I sell helmets for a living and cant stress enough the need for not only a decent helmet but most definitely a full face , an open face is only 1/2 a helmet - you wouldn't wear 1/2 a boot so why 1/2 a helmet , there is a reason why all most helmets are full faces - they are simply safer
we had a paticipant at a VMX here in NZ have a heavy crash and literally face planted , KO'd and a free helicopter trip , has had years of headaches and mood swings but the full face helmet saved his life - if he had been wearing an open face he would be dead or badly brain damaged

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:24 am »
I like eating my dinner with knife and fork, not trying to suck a porterhouse through a straw due to a broken face..  :D So i think the full face is the safest option. Also How much is your head worth? spend $$$$$ on a bike and $60 on a cheap open face helmet.. They look great and suit the era.. but not worth the risk the way i see it! :P
Maico's, the only way to go.

gator

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 10:16:44 am »
jesus shaun has packed the weight on :D :D