Author Topic: Pre-70 bikes - what's good?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Pre-70 bikes - what's good?
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:52:25 pm »
I don't think this question has ever been asked before...

What's the pecking order for the pre-70 bikes?

I'm currently running a CT1, which I know is a looong way down the list :D, but it is fun, easy to ride, and damn near indestructible.
Let's just imagine that I wanted to take away any excuses for not beating Rossco* at next year's Crawford River Classic - which bike should I be on?

If we were to take the hypothetical halfway seriously, a left-hand gear lever and 2-strokes would be important.
If we were to be three-quarters serious, stuff like availability and purchase price would matter too.

*For the record: I don't mind being beaten by Neville, Mark A, Rodger, Tony C or even a three legged poodle - I'd be happy to finish second last, provided I beat Rossco and his 2006 model square-barrel Maico.  :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Re: Pre-70 bikes - what's good?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:03:42 pm »
For me , being more of a 'thoroughbred' buyer/racer, i thought my square barrel would be the top of the heap. As far as  collectability goes it would be up there, but i think it would have to be riden a bit more gently as i am worried that the gearbox is a tad fragile. Since finding out that cz's are bullet proof and great race bikes, my dad has purchased a 360 side piper that when he has restored it will be given to me to race . I think it will be the favoured pre 70 for me.

Offline DG 26

• B-Grade
  • 250H 125D it490 looking for pre75bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »
Nathan try a yzf450?  ::)
 Na ,a BULTACO there is one on ebay vmx section?

Quicksilver

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:17:10 pm »
Few choice bikes in this vidio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOV5wtTgFB0

firko

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:21:23 pm »
Don't worry about that gearbox Brad,  Maicos have bulletproof gearboxes. If the dogs are fair, it'll outlast you. ;)

My Maico has been a super competitive pre 70 class bike for 20 years and almost won the class at Coffs last year. Having said that my DT1 was good enough for a second in pre 70 to Boagy at Tanunda in '95. You've got to put some serious engineering into an RT1 or DT1 but they're very competitive if you are prepared to go the hard yards. I'm building my Cheney RT1 and DT1 Metisse as a racers, not garage queens like my shiny Ducati and I reckon they'll be very competitive.
CZ sidepipers, Husky 360s and Montesa Cappras are competitive and MK3/4 Pursangs can win with a bit of work. Eddie Brooks had a winning Suzuki Suzuki TS250 a few years ago (now owned by Ray Atkins and ridden by Kathleen) but it was pretty radical internally. Lot's of interesting mods, some highly suspect though.

My choice is a little biased but I reckon it's down to a 350/ 360 or 400 Maico or a 360 CZ sidepiper using the pre 70 class history as a guide.

Old Husky

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:02:11 pm »
Firko, I cannot believe nobody has mentioned the unquestionable Number One pre 70 Motocrosser, you came close in saying the 360, however the famous On Any Sunday bike, Husqvarna 400 Cross is without question the number one.

firko

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:16 pm »
I was basing my choices on my own involvement and observation of the class at Nationals level over 20 years or so. Except for Billy Campbell winning on a Husky 360 back in the early 90s, it's been mostly CZ and Maico with only Billy Brown on his Monty, Brook Lawson on his old mans BSA B44, Bob Vourmard on his Rickman Weslake and a couple of other oddballs crashing the CZ/Maico pre 70 party.

Rosco400

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:09 pm »
For the record: I don't mind being beaten by Neville, Mark A, Rodger, Tony C or even a three legged poodle - I'd be happy to finish second last, provided I beat Rossco and his 2006 model square-barrel Maico.  :D

2007 model and its good to know this psychological effect the Maico is having on you Nathan, actually i did put a 2008 tyre on it just for CRC :-*, I dont think the bike model is having an affect on the outcome of you pre 70 riding, I think its your faulty throttle body, it seems like it can only turn a little bit (maybe 1/8th) thus restricting output at the rear wheel, ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:40:53 pm »
So its a deal then? We'll swap bikes at Canberra and see what happens?  ;D

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:37:40 am »
i don't really know enough about pre-70 bikes but i do know i'm in love with my RT1.
it's got a little hic~up at the moment with a previously mentioned bearing but the thing is just so smooth in its power delivery and its pretty well stock in the motor and i'll leave it that way. STD forks and good rear shocks. mmmmmm.......RT1.........mmmmmmmm....
"flat bickie"