Author Topic: 2016 MoMS out  (Read 57897 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 MoMS out
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2015, 10:53:27 am »
John O, the limit of the new Evo rules would be something along the lines of:
Take a 1989 CR250, convert the forks & swingarm to take a drum brake, fit an XR630 motor, and convert the rear end to be non-linkage (remembering those early-00 Husabergs that has no linkage and a shock that sat in about the same position as the stock CR shock).

Bingo, you have an Evo bike, according to the new rules.

And an Evo class that has no f$&king purpose, is not historically relevant, encourages the butchering of multiple old bikes, and puts all of the "real" Evo bikes at a big disadvantage.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2015, 11:12:34 am »
Page 155. Machines acceptable for Evolution class must fall between the Post Classic and Classic periods. Carryover models accepted.

So with that there the Evo class will constantly move to newer models as newer classes are introduced. Absolutely ridiculous

Ted you should go back and read the wording. It doesn't say fall between it says fall within.
Also at the moment Pre90 is called Post Classic and if newer classes are introduced they are most likely to be called something else as they definetly not classic.

The way I read the rules as written.  Use any component up 89 that meats the 3 magic rules. So any air cooled motor, any Twin shock frame(non linkage) and any Drum brake wheel fork combo. The wording on not modifing later components to comply could be made a little clearer perhaps but the intent is clear.

The Read Valve thing is an obvious typo and I think it is being fixed as we speak. The MA web site has taken down the link to the rules last I looked for them and I can only surmise a few changes needed to be made.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2015, 11:30:17 am »
I just went to the MA website, can't see anything, is that where you guys were reading the proposed regulations?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:15 am »
John.
This link should take you to it, but I think they have taken it down as it had obvious mistakes.
http://ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/MOMS/2016_MoMS.pdf

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:28 am »
Yes John damage control is in place. They will amend and pretend nothing happened. Who proof reads this shit.

While you'se are fixing ip your glaring errors how about putting out the full Heaven / QVMX Evo rule amendments instead of the tampered one on your site
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 11:42:53 am »
Page 155. Machines acceptable for Evolution class must fall between the Post Classic and Classic periods. Carryover models accepted.

So with that there the Evo class will constantly move to newer models as newer classes are introduced. Absolutely ridiculous

Ted you should go back and read the wording. It doesn't say fall between it says fall within.
Also at the moment Pre90 is called Post Classic and if newer classes are introduced they are most likely to be called something else as they definetly not classic.

The way I read the rules as written.  Use any component up 89 that meats the 3 magic rules. So any air cooled motor, any Twin shock frame(non linkage) and any Drum brake wheel fork combo. The wording on not modifing later components to comply could be made a little clearer perhaps but the intent is clear.

The Read Valve thing is an obvious typo and I think it is being fixed as we speak. The MA web site has taken down the link to the rules last I looked for them and I can only surmise a few changes needed to be made.

Sleepy the intent is clear to YOU well done  :) but it appears that it is not clear to any of the other posters so far .

A Typo Hmmm probably but in this day and age surely that's unacceptable . Are the rules typed up by pre school kids or administrators paid to do the job ?

What ever the rules and weather you agree with them or not  the constant is and has always been they leave them open to various interpretations.

Rules should be written in such a way that they are clear and concise to the average licence holder( you shouldn't have to get your lawyer to look over them and then explain them to you )

Should not contradict one an other

Should never be printed or published on the organisations web site until they have been properly proof read .

Always had respect for your guys rules , I believed that they covered the eras well and were fairly easy to follow .
That was until recently when all hell broke loose over the Evo rules and now a ridiculous ruling on reed valves in pre 75  :-\

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
I received a reply from MA this morning re the pre 75 reed valve issue - pertains to Mossbarger reed valves only being banned

Thanks for your email. Please accept the Commissions apologies for the typo in the 2016 MoMS. A bulletin will be released to advise that it is only Mossbarger (or replica) reed valves that have now been banned from Pre 75 Classic MX & Classic DT.

The new GCR wording will be as follows:

13.14.4.4 No Mossbarger type (or replica type) reed valves permitted.

Very fast reply from MA - thanks

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2015, 11:54:49 am »
Ted you seem to be an expert on the QVMX club.
Could you tell me how many EVO riders there are still active in the club?
Also the submision, was it drafted at a general club meeting for all to discuss?
If it is what the majortity wanted why didn't the Qld historic sub-committee support it?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:56 pm »
The Classic Motocross and Dirt Track commissioners are listed as Dave Tanner, Shane Fraser, Kerry Marsh and Nick Maxfield, all of whom have been on here at some stage. Perhaps they may care to enlighten us as to the process here.
Among their powers is the recommendation of GCR rule changes only after consultation with SCBs and State sub-committees. But I can't say I've heard of anyone whacking in a remit to can reed valves.

Could be a typo?  Reeds that came as standard only permitted.

None of those changes discussed in this thread, (inc removing all reed valves or delete externally unchanged) from my recollection where ever on the table or in the rule change submissions, nor in the process of scb request for response to the commission minutes. ( please check the published Commission minutes to confirm what was on the table)

This process has not changed.

So technically there is no point asking me GD66 as requested above.  However from my personal view,  I have no idea WHO has added or deleted those from the moms you would need to speak to the chair DT or Nicole (MA Admin [email protected]) to find out how those changes where made.   

However as a current commissioner i can confirm, i have not seen ANY prior correspondence about deleting "externally remain unchanged" which is a cornerstone rule of classic motocross nor removing all reed valves from pre75.  ( logic dictates you cant as 90% of bikes in pre 75 are reed)

I suggest you speak to Nicole directly and confirm what the situation is.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:40:26 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2015, 01:03:29 pm »
Hi Freakshow.

you say:

"However as a current commissioner i can confirm, i have not seen ANY prior correspondence about deleting "externally remain unchanged" which is a cornerstone rule of classic motocross nor removing all reed valves from pre75.  ( logic dictates you cant as 90% of bikes in pre 75 are reed)"

Not sure 90% is correct, but anyway agree with your intention, and thanks for being a "worker"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »

The actual wording in the MoMS is:
13.6.4.1 Applicable for the Rvolution class are machines that fall within the Post Classic and Classic era.

This (finally) restricts Evo to old bikes.
All the stuff that maybe, sort of, kinda might have restricted it to drum brake forks, originally aircooled motors and originally non-linkage frames/swingarms, is gone.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 01:34:45 pm »
While I think the new EVO rulings didn't quite hit the mark, there seems to be a little "poetic" license taken in some of the examples given. Husaberg's were linkage bikes 1989 until 1999 not the other way around, so they can't be included in the discussion. The way I read it the only legal USD fork/drum combination would be 1984 KTM WP set up, not a modified set of disc USD forks. I have a KTM USD drum front end, but I don't think I'll be fitting it to an EVO bike (but then again, maybe I will). I've done a couple of 480 engines in 1980 Honda frames & have always believed they should be EVO legal, so I'm all for that one.
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2015, 01:54:40 pm »
All the old rules about "OEM" are gone.
The class is now defined as being pre-90, so "later equipment" is now explicitly defined as 1990+.

A 1989 FrankenBike is now legal for Evo.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »
excuse me Freaky (and others) - the mistake re reed valves has now been clarified.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 03:11:10 pm »
Hmmm, I haven't read the rules yet but from what you guys are saying; I can now use my '79 KX250/400 with the stock '84 KX125 front forks  :-)  Might have to dust it off and get a race licence again  :-)

Your bike might fit the rules now but all the trick hardware in your body wasn't available in that era.  ;)
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50