Author Topic: Is there a "more popular" class??  (Read 3965 times)

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Is there a "more popular" class??
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:13:31 pm »
G'day all,
Probably the dumb question of the month (year  ::)) ...
but, is there any difference in numbers of riders or potential to have a ride, between the various classes of comp.?
Had been planning on setting up a pre-75 four stroke ride, but now thinking more along the lines of pre-78 (2 or 4 stroke). Does being in one class or another limit the options to ride at all?? Not that I intend to compete in every opportunity known to man.....just considering things. :-\

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a "more popular" class??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:29:59 pm »
I'm still trying to figger out how it all happens on the east coast  :-\
The club we are in, here in the west is anything mx pre 75.
I think there is an evo club in Perth somewhere,but I don't know how strong it is.  :-\
Alot miles here, so road bikes are pretty big.  8)
depends what club your joining up with. ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:48:44 pm »
Where are you?

HEAVEN allows you to "ride up". So if you turned up with a pre-70 <125 four stroke, you could theoretically enter every race on the day, except for the pre-85-only race (and except for the juniors, obviously...).
So the newer and/or the larger capacity your bike is, the less races you can enter.
In reality, you would be discouraged from riding in the Evo or Pre-85 classes, as all of the pre-78 era bikes  and the Evo/Pre-85 bikes are seperated by a marshal change, and it goes down well if you flag for for the other era.

So... at a HEAVEN event, your pre-75 4-stroke would be eligible for:
Pre-75 Open.
Pre-75 250 (if its a 250 or smaller).
Pre-78 250 (if its a 250 or smaller).
Pre-78 Open.
Four stroke race (all eras, all capacities).

If you were brave/optimistic enough to build a pre-75 125 four-stroke, then you could also add the Classic 125 class to that list.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:03:49 pm »
Heck Nathan  :o  you must have a heep of volunteers to run events like that.
It reads like a modern MX here in WA.
Its hard enough keepin up with pre 75 and junior mx as a flaggie/offical ;D
Best is in the West !!

Rosco400

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:06:51 pm »
HEAVEN allows you to "ride up". So if you turned up with a pre-70 <125 four stroke, you could theoretically enter every race on the day, except for the pre-85-only race (and except for the juniors, obviously...).

quote]

Wrong Nathan, your only allowed to ride up one class according to the heaven constitution/rules/regulations which I only recently informed /found out about i.e. my Pre 70 Maico can go to pre 75 250 but not to a pre 75 open as that would be riding up two classes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:14:13 pm by Rosco400 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
Well there you go.
Still, like I said, it doesn't quite work like that in reality anyhow.

VMX247, the bikes are split into two basic sessions, based on whether they're pre-78 or post-77, and the riders from the 'other' era are asked to flag if there's a shortfall of non-riding volunteers (and there usually is). So that's where the heaps of volunteers come from.

Some riders aren't keen to flag, but personally I find that I learn heaps by spectating erm, flagging, so am more than happy to do it (even without the 'good for you club' stuff).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 09:01:36 pm »

quote]

Wrong Nathan, your only allowed to ride up one class according to the heaven constitution/rules/regulations which I only recently informed /found out about i.e. my Pre 70 Maico can go to pre 75 250 but not to a pre 75 open as that would be riding up two classes

I struggle with the concept of restricting bikes riding up as many eras as they choose, the only time i feel it is nessercery is when the next era has a full starting gate ( maybe thats the case )
If not then to my mind why mess with history, if the bike was available before the cut off period then it should be allowed into that class.
I suppose what im saying is that unless a class is full dont have a bottom age limit on the bike.
Its the same here in NZ and i dont like it  >:(

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:34:06 pm »
Quote from Nathan=VMX247, the bikes are split into two basic sessions, based on whether they're pre-78 or post-77, and the riders from the 'other' era are asked to flag if there's a shortfall of non-riding volunteers (and there usually is). So that's where the heaps of volunteers come from.
Some riders aren't keen to flag, but personally I find that I learn heaps by spectating erm, flagging, so am more than happy to do it (even without the 'good for you club' stuff).

Thus is why its called the Heaven club  ;) ;D
I believe running just the pre 75 is great, :o because that is what you get and nothing else  8)  so it's easy to learn about that era,well for a female anyway. ::)
being involved in it for the last 6 years,it sort of grows on you. :P
Our son rides modern also, it's  such a nice change to go to vmx,normal people our own age. :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »
So... at a HEAVEN event, your pre-75 4-stroke would be eligible for:
Pre-75 Open.
Pre-75 250 (if its a 250 or smaller).
Pre-78 250 (if its a 250 or smaller).
Pre-78 Open.
Four stroke race (all eras, all capacities).

This is how I imagined it should work. I'd be in Tas. (The new Launceston Motocross and Scramble Club amalgamation) hopefully it works the same? Still in the throws of sorting the membership, MA stuff, oh yeah, and finding the right bike.  :-[
My heart still says <75 XL critter.........or maybe an old El'snore would look nice in the shed.  ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:47:46 pm »
Now your on the right track an Elisnore HONDA,people will love ya  :-*,cannot go wrong with that kind of bike,parts are readly avaliable and folks on here know a shit load of resto work,, :-*
go on get one. ;) :D
Best is in the West !!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:53:29 pm »
Hey, looky there...give you $500 for it. ;D
I must admit I had a big poster of one on my wall when they first hit the scene.
BTW, you've got some noice toys there. :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 11:03:53 pm »
14 year old son has got it going and is having a blat this weekend up at Clackline VMXWA event.
He reckons its a groover too, :D
no one at school believes him   :o   can't understand this stuff is still around .....like when ....and what is it..... ::)
but then we just lived, for the now too,when we where young.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:17:34 pm »
MX?, work out what you want to own/race.

Really, the decision comes down to whether you think you're going to be a VMX god, or whether you're going to enjoy riding/racing with a bunch of like-minded people.

If you are entering VMX because you want to win stuff, then pick an era and a class, and then buy the best bike for it.
Alternatively, just get something that you're passionate/enthusiastic about.

Personally, some of my race bikes are fundamentally dogs of bikes (a 175cc trailbike is always pushing poo uphill against 250 MXers), while others are the top of the class heap. You know what? I enjoy racing the dogs just as much as the good bikes.... And because I'm talent-challenged, I seem to go just as well on them anyhow.

If the XL250 floats your boat, then buy one and race it and you'll love every minute of it.

The 250 Elsinore is a great bike, with its gearbox being a significant Achilles heel....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 11:23:11 pm »
Nathan Nathan Nathan you must be too hard on em ??? gearbox  ???
From the noise comin from the shed,  ::)  it would have to be the carby and fuel that makes ya wanna scream  ;) ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 06:36:30 pm »
Really, the decision comes down to whether you think you're going to be a VMX god, or whether you're going to enjoy riding/racing with a bunch of like-minded people.

I hope to enjoy riding/racing with a bunch of like-minded people.......so long as I can beat someone!  :D
Nah, I know deep down it will have to be a four banger......not sure I could cope with a trail of smoke and ring, ding echo behind me.  ;D and as I won't have the budget for an old CCM gadget the good ole XL should do it for me. Have 2 to look at this week....can't wait.