Author Topic: Comfortable riding gear in the heat  (Read 7827 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Comfortable riding gear in the heat
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:01:42 am »
Any opinions on a brand of riding gear that is well ventilated.

Most of my riding is in over 30 degrees and this time of years the humidity is above 95%

Thanks

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Comfortable riding gear in the heat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 02:47:14 am »
anything vented - but bloody cold come winter time as I found out  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:38:36 pm »
Leave at day break, and come back two hours latter.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »
Ok. My experience FWIW, regarding the torso first;
I feel more protected in a neat fitting pressure style suit than I do a plastic roost protector.
Though, I cannot stand clothing and labels that prickle me or tee shirts etc that are too tight around my neck.
I had a 661, hot and everything I hated. A truly euphoric moment when I sold it for half of what I paid.
I have got a Dainese "netting style" pressure suit as well. I don't like it either  >:( 

I bought one of these after busting my shoulder. Pic is link.

For me, the hunt is over. I love it. The adjusters are all within easy reach and they are so easy to back off when it is time to remove, the easiest one ever to get in and out of. The kidney belt is removable as is the lobster back spine protector.
I wore it alone, straight on my skin at the late in the year Gloucester Vinduro. I removed the spine protector and run a $19.99 Aldi hydration pack in its place. I did 8 continuous laps in 41deg heat(in the shade). That part of my body was very cool and comfy.
If that part of me made any sweat? I certainly didn't know it. I think maybe the sweat was used as a cooling agent as the air flow evaporated it?
I rinse it quickly with mild detergent in a fish box. Rinse it again. Put it on a decent coat hanger and hose it off.

When you are on a good thing stick with it.
 If I could spare the bucks? I would buy more of them and store them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:19:50 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 02:15:55 pm »
As with all those style suits,
better to buy one that is a mic hair to big and pull it into place with the adjusters, than a pain in the ass one that is a mic hair to small.
All of the adjusters on this one are so easy to trim up or undo, even with gloves on :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:28:45 pm by Mick D »

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »
its funny isn't it Mick - I have a 661 pressure suit and luv it to death, comfortable, cool and I wear it under my jersey with nothing under it - and that is riding in the heat in WA.  Horses for courses but I swear by mine  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 02:44:54 pm »
its funny isn't it Mick - I have a 661 pressure suit and luv it to death, comfortable, cool and I wear it under my jersey with nothing under it - and that is riding in the heat in WA.  Horses for courses but I swear by mine  ;D

So true Ross, probably dependent upon model? if you get a minute? can look on ebay and throw up a link to which model 661 yours is?

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:47:26 pm »
I wear Seven "Zero" gear.  It has vent holes in the underarms, elbow joint etc.  The vent holes are reinforced so they haven't torn open either. 

On a warm day you can really feel the air flowing up through the arms through the elbow joint.  Great stuff.  The associated pants are also quite airy with lots of free flowing mesh, but it really depends on what you wear underneath (knee braces + knee brace sock don't help much).

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 03:53:23 pm »
Mick - looks like my model has changed - not surprised - but here is the one I have - much like what you mention - can remove the back protector, kidney belt, fully adjustable etc.

1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 04:02:36 pm »
No doubt product development improves designs and material selections quickly these days.
Looks very similar to the one I hated, but I have no doubt mine was an earlier version of that.
My buddies(yes I do have friends ;D I pay them but) who all bought them at the same time as me, say they definitely wont go there again. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 04:04:09 pm by Mick D »

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »
I had 2 minds about buying one of these Mick - or any body suit for that matter - but the benefits would far outweigh the negatives and my mate (yep sorry I am in the same boat with having to pay  ;D) said 30 seconds after putting it on I wouldn't know it was there - and he was right - I am amazed how comfortable it is.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
Did they finally put adjustable velcro draw and release tabs on the wrists of the 661
I found it virtually impossible to get my hands through wrist bands. Not without listening to them tear anyhow. That was a another thing that shitted me to tears about them.

I have no idea of how cool or not the Leat or Alpines stars protection products are? pretty good looking kit though.
Anyhow the Thor is one purchase that I am 100% happy with and its ability to keep me cool in the stinking heat. Done and dusted for my choice ;D

My big problem is that my head overheats and sweats and sweats and sweats big time, big time, big time.

If I can manage to self fund by selling more hoarded excess to you guys?  ;D
Then I will get one of these for warmer ridding months. Tried one on yesterday, got a lot of outstanding features.
I will then use up my others in the cooler months. Pic is link.

I love a dirt bike helmet on the road because the peak is great to block direct sun to eyes.
And you cant speed anymore >:( so you don't have to worry about the wind grabbing hold of the peak and snapping you neck back these days.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:32:42 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 06:09:03 pm »
Oooooooh, these have got,
Ventilation:

Easy to clean diffusers create a strong venturi vacuum at the rear. Center top vent for increased airflow. Under-peak air intake collects en directs cool air into the helmet. Inner chin vent shutter prevents debris coming into the helmet in dusty riding conditions. Goggle ventilation and lower side vents.

Pick is link

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 06:45:09 pm »
I have a arai helmet not cheap but bloody nice to wear , if you try a cheap helmet on then try a arai you can notice the difference .
I got a couple of old school cotton bike jersesys a while back they look cool but not cool to ride in no  venterlation at all .
Need to look at the modern style jerseys for venterlation .
Or just go for the Truckee blue singlet and jandals Brent seems to work for the Maori folk
 :o

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
I have some older model (2010?) Thor pants/jersey that are way cooler than anything else I've used. The quality seems to be average, with lots of loose threads and so-on. Then again, the leather patches on the knees is holding up FAR better than any of the Fox stuff.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.