Author Topic: eBay international shipping  (Read 17243 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
eBay international shipping
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:49 pm »
Not VMX related, but I am building a café racer out of a WR450 and an R6 Yamaha. The R6 rear wheel is too wide so I found a YZF600 rear wheel on US eBay, with a quoted shipping price of USD$70. I purchased it and surprise surprise, the seller tells me that he can't find the wheel and refunds my money in full. I assume that the actual shipping cost was a lot more than he quoted and because of this he reneged on the deal. No problem, I don't want to see someone lose money, so I kept looking. I found another one out of Ohio and the shipping cost was USD$55. I clicked the buy it know and I have been informed today that it is in transit and on it's way. It has the tyre, disc and sprocket still on it so it's no lightweight, so I'm really interested to see what the outcome will be. I will be pleasantly surprised if it actually turns up, but not too disappointed if it doesn't.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: eBay international shipping
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:24:12 pm »
Hi Pete, Ebay's newest global shipping program is a massive cost saving on shipping heavier bulky items, until the new postage wing of the ebay empire looses your item, then that Ebay "money back guarantee" is not worth a pinch of shit!

Previously a complete Maico engine cost me US$350 to ship via USPS priority.
I shipped the same engine over recently for US$105 using the new ebay wing.

CONS; Once you are the winner, the seller doesn't seem to be able to combine the postage with other items :-\

Once listed with their "shipping program" the seller has no other choice than to ship with "Ebay Global Shipping Program" (Pitney Bowles).

but my main greivence, when it first started, they lost my first item purchase in their "sort center" I phoned Ebay Australia and ebay US. They both agreed the item was lost whilst in their "Sort Center". They judged against me in a claim, then again when I sprayed at them in an appeal. Their is no such thing as Police for ebay is there? But I reluctantly used it again to ship engines, because one; it is so cheap and two; the purchase then locks their service in as the only postage option, if listed with it.

I will see if I can find the spit I sent them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:34:45 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Tony.Brown

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:24:33 pm »
Pete that sounds awful cheap, I was quoted more than that to post a carby kit from the US, but I assumed the professional sellers are selling at a low price with exorbitant shipping costs, so that if there is a dispute, they only have to refund the item sale price and not the shipping.
Do you know if that's how it works?
Tony.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »
My problem with the Global shipping is small items are way over the top in postage . eg a 75 YZ air box postage US to Aust $70 US .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:44:11 pm »
My problem with the Global shipping is small items are way over the top in postage . eg a 75 YZ air box postage US to Aust $70 US .

Yes Iain, that is another one :( and being locked into it with no other choice sure does suk >:(

It was like when they tried to make Paypal the only payment option in Aus.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:45:48 pm by Mick D »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 10:47:13 pm »
Hi Mick, thanks mate.
It'll be interesting to see what happens. The tracking number that they gave me is not recognised by any of the major shippers, and when I googled it there were a heap of enquiries questioning the number format similar to mine. Most of the posters had received their items, but just couldn't track them on the way.

Hi Tony,
I've had similar exorbitant shipping quotes for small items, and then really low quotes for the same item from another seller, so it may be a scam as you allude to.

I'm not too worried about this, just a bit puzzled, but if it comes through OK it'll be a good deal.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 10:47:32 pm »
not still looking for 75 airboxes are you Iain?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:01 pm »
And on the other side of the coin, i have had steel swingarms shipped via ebay global for $36USD and sets of forks with triples in the $70USD range, but sellers not using ebay global can not match those prices and its like $150 for a front end. Ebay global good for big items but bad for small ones.  At first i hated ebay global shipping but for big items it seems very good pricewise. A lot of times sellers have the wrong weight entered for the item too which also over prices the shipping. Sometimes they will go back and fix it if you ask. The once good value for money USPS flat rate boxes seem to be jumping up in price almost $10 a year now :(

I was told by some regular ebay sellers i buy from that ebay global shipping is not compulsory but it is the default method when they list items and they to manually uncheck the box or whatever to send it via their own way and not through ebay.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:52:34 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:50:35 pm »

That's where it doesn't make sense Iain - my wheel is $15 cheaper and 10x heavier.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 10:55:36 pm »
Ok, ok, ok I sent this as my appeal to ebay in a moment of rage, before spending a minute to proof read and improve my below average grammar.

exact amount of characters used ;D ;D
My exact QuoteNOT RECEIVED. How dare you people(ebay) now say my purchase is not covered by ebay buyer protection. I paid you for PRIORITY SHIPPING. You lot are a power unto your selves. Expect us to play by the rules but you are free to change them and renege on your pledge, when it suits you. This is your product that has failed, EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM, your product failure. The original listing still clearly states >ebay MONEY BACK GARANTEE, covers your purchase price and original shipping< time to see if you lot have any honesty or integrity of word. Time to be accountable and refund all of my money. I even paid with your guaranteed PayPal. If the seller had of used any other service than yours, you would be instructing him to refund my money, but he didn't, he sent it to you ebay as ebay told him told him to do. YOUR FAILURE, EBAY'S PRODUCT FAILURE. I want you to refund my money as you guaranteed.

I suppose the moderators will be considering the removal of my posts, but Ebay did not cancel my registration, probably because of the $200,000.00 I have spent there instead of buying another rental unit ::)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:57:10 pm »
And on the other side of the coin, i have had steel swingarms shipped via ebay global for $36USD and sets of forks with triples in the $70USD range, but sellers not using ebay global can not match those prices and its like $150 for a front end. Ebay global good for big items but bad for small ones.  At first i hated ebay global shipping but for big items it seems very good pricewise. A lot of times sellers have the wrong weight entered for the item too which also over prices the shipping. Sometimes they will go back and fix it if you ask. The once good value for money USPS flat rate boxes seem to be jumping up in price almost $10 a year now :(

Well that's good news Leith, maybe I'm going to get my wheel after all.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 11:01:42 pm »

That's where it doesn't make sense Iain - my wheel is $15 cheaper and 10x heavier.

I think the ratio of costing might favor the lines of the box of feathers (dimension) scenario.
Anyhow to dear for little-ens, great for heavy biggins as long as the law unto them selves don't loose your purchase, in their you beaut sort center. *&^%s

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:03:46 pm by Mick D »

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 11:02:23 pm »
Ok, ok, ok I sent this as my appeal to ebay in a moment of rage, before spending a minute to proof read and improve my below average grammar.

exact amount of characters used ;D ;D
My exact QuoteNOT RECEIVED. How dare you people(ebay) now say my purchase is not covered by ebay buyer protection. I paid you for PRIORITY SHIPPING. You lot are a power unto your selves. Expect us to play by the rules but you are free to change them and renege on your pledge, when it suits you. This is your product that has failed, EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM, your product failure. The original listing still clearly states >ebay MONEY BACK GARANTEE, covers your purchase price and original shipping< time to see if you lot have any honesty or integrity of word. Time to be accountable and refund all of my money. I even paid with your guaranteed PayPal. If the seller had of used any other service than yours, you would be instructing him to refund my money, but he didn't, he sent it to you ebay as ebay told him told him to do. YOUR FAILURE, EBAY'S PRODUCT FAILURE. I want you to refund my money as you guaranteed.

I suppose the moderators will be considering the removal of my posts, but Ebay did not cancel my registration, probably because of the $200,000.00 I have spent there instead of buying another rental unit ::)

Did you end up getting your money back Mick? You should've, after that spiel ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 11:03:01 pm »
I have found that the big items do come by Fed Ex economy though which is about 2-3 weeks so that may explain the cheapness?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 11:12:44 pm »
I'm happy to wait two or three weeks at that price.