Author Topic: 89 KDX200F  (Read 25127 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
89 KDX200F
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:32:53 am »
Mine is the oil injected compliance plated model. I want to run pre-mix instead of removing the tank and seat every ride to top up the oil tank ::)

I have never had one of these apart,,,,yet ::)

Will both mains still get lubed or would I have to split it and remove a bearing shield like in say the ER-185?
Thanks if anyone can help :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:34:49 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki 1989 KDX200 oil pump removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:53 pm »
Remove the seat. Autolube is gold.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:07 am »
Fair to conclude that you don't know?
You are the one person who I thought would.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:52 am »
Considering the autolube feeds into the side of the barrel and the crank and cases are "normal" (no slingers or anything), I figure it's a safe assumption that it can be removed simply.

I still think it's a bad idea.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:17:45 am »
I was having a chuckle about this yesterday when someone wanted a side stand welded on their bike.
It was only a few weeks back when someone else wanted a stand removed from their bike.

I often get requests from guys that have vintage bikes with down pipes and they want up pipes built for them.
I also get a lot of requests from guys that have more modern bikes with up pipes and they want down pipes built for them (dirt trackers)

And I remember doing a KDX search some time back and their were some requests on a US forum asking how to convert their bike to oil injection.

What was that old saying about the grass being greener? ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
I don't know, but it sounds like you would. Some times I cant help thinking that you guys weren't listening when Yul Brynner spoke his final words  ::)

I guess some love bling on old motocrossers while some new owners cant wait to remove it too.
Horses for courses, I reservedly trust the injection system on the outboard that has pushed me to the shelf and back. Though I only figure the odds reasonable when the reservoir is full and if the engine hasn't seized by the time I have rang its neck all the way to the heads first. Just the way I think. I have never liked walking and engine rebuilds are exy and time consuming.
I would feel a lot safer to head across the Simpson with fresh points ignition than 30 year old CDI too.

I decided to go with Nathans opinion anyhow. Was about to rego it and bush bash it. I bought a 35mm PWK, pipe and muffler to spark things up a bit, not that it really needs it, but,,,,you know(searching for justification ::) ) and I don't suppose it needs the auto-lube removed to fit them, does it... ? ..

Anyhow, started to have a change of mind, think I may sell it instead. Procrastinating now. I haven't used it since 2014 Gloucester Vinduro.

Too many bikes and the only event it is welcome at is Cookardinia. It is such an easy fun bike to ride, but it seems like such a shame to bush bash its excellent original condition when I have other choices to do that to.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:07:51 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Disgusted with 1989 KDX200 Poor oil pump concept and design
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:52:05 pm »
I haven't come across a bike that can't be improved but it shits me to tears when the dyer need is a such critical system.
Especially when away from civilization. What a total piece of crap design >:(

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Disgusted with 1989 KDX200 poor oil pump concept and design
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:30 pm »
Im a bit partial to the KDX200. nice little bikes for green things. was a very very pretty one with a for sale sign at CD that made my loins quiver. i almost went over to see how much .. ten times.
  As to autolube Im a fan. no mixing no mixing up containers that you dont know whats in them. no rejetting for premix.. Yerp oil in  the fuel means less fuel per litre of premix.  Dont suppose it would be easier to mount a tank remotely or even a filler some place easier to get to like behind the headlight?

The TS system is pretty good , thats why You never see a bottom end that needs a rebuild in a CCI model suzuki.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »
Yes, I agree that the Suzuki CCI is a good system Pockey, though my conclusion is that 2 stroke oil injection systems are best left to road bikes only. We had a CCI failure on this bike below at the October 2014 Gloucester Vinduro.

I bought that bike above from a one owner old guy with only 3,200 K's on it. Lent it to Luke R for that weekend.
When he came back in, there was oil everywhere. We beleive this bike had never been apart, but yet the plastic "hose tail" had broken off the oil tank. It was still stuck in the oil pump feed hose entry. Needles to say the tank had discharged its load. End of that bike for the weekend. Maybe just old and brittle? who knows? There would have been no break down and no end of riding if it were set up correctly for pre-mix .

My first registered bike was a Suzuki T250 Hustler with the CCI oiling system. A very underrated motorcycle.
Then a T500 Titan. I reckon the T250 was much greater fun.

You could just look down at the oil tank sight glass, 100% visual witness. Even while sitting on the bike.
You could simply reach down unscrew the large cap and see that the level was going down every time it was ridden.

But to check the level with this Kawasaki crap design, you physically have to unbolt the seat because the oil tank is hidden under the Fuel Tank.

The tank is bolted to the right side of the frame backbone. You cant even see the oil tank while the bike is in one piece.
Even the tank to pump delivery line is black FFS. If it were clear at least you could see oil.
I haven't even got started with this saga yet.
What an ill-thought out system. Crapulently executed conception.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:29:35 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:56 pm »
Physically unbolt and remove the seat everytime to see how much 2T oil is left?
And somehow there are those who think its a system to be admired? Bullshit! I am guessing some minds are just easily impressed ::)  ;) :)

This bike shouldn't have failed the way it has.
From the original old owner, for putt, putt, putting around his property.
Original tyres. Original riveted chain and sprockets, which have little to no wear.
Disc's aren't worn. Still has original pads, with plenty left.
foot pegs aren't worn.
I have no doubt that this is original K's

This bike should not have failed the way it has with such low use.

Anyhow, got shit to do now, picking up the greatest bargain of my entire life tomorrow ;D ;D
Back latter to show you the most crapulent failing 2T oil system in the world, a bit latter.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:31:45 pm by Mick D »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
Serious? take the seat off with spanners just to top up the oil tank? atleast suzuki had a clip and hinge on the seat. ... maybe thats a modification that could be implimented?

for some odd reason a vague recollection of a damn old english bike came in to my mind that also had a design flaw in accessing a basic service item but Im dammed if I can remember what it was. Lets hope kwaka dont design cars or we will be popping the boot and removing he spare wheel to fill up.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:44 pm »
I had wondered about using the radiator overflow bottle as a 2T oil reservoir.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 07:54:18 pm »
I will keep and use this bike until I have a Maico reed valve 250 or 400 magnum built, finished and regoed. I reckon their both far superior bikes in every way.

I had wondered about using the radiator overflow bottle as a 2T oil reservoir.

First thing I thought of Nathan and would have to do that if I were to mount a "E" model plastic tank.
I would like to put a E model tank on it to preserve the original metal tank etc, for when I pass it on.
But in the mean time I will be removing the entire system because there is a pump design failure and that is the main reason that I am more than disappointed.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:57:19 pm »
Suzuki AC100 had a a nice small oil bottle. Same part was used as part of the TS/TM 'race kit'

The TS oil tank outlet breaking would have been a one off freak accident i reckon or the plastic take had been left out in the hot sun for years?. I have seen some suspect dry/crusty looking ones on ebay USA in the desert areas. I have never heard of it happening, its certainly not common and not something that would have me questioning the reliability of the system.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 08:06:33 pm »
Serious? take the seat off with spanners just to top up the oil tank? atleast suzuki had a clip and hinge on the seat. ... maybe thats a modification that could be implimented?

Yes, True Pockey, un-bolt and remove ::)

I cannot go on a ride, nor drop it from mind unless I check the level first on any oil injected 2T.
I check my car at least once a week and everytime before I leave City Limits.
A recognition of any fluids loss is detrimental to identifying system failure before it strands you.

I love the mighty TS's.
My first real bike.
My reason at the time for removing the complete CCI system from it, including all brackets was purely to remove all excess baggage.
Nothing and no one beat that little TS125 through the scrub :D :) Nothing and no one.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:24:16 pm by Mick D »