Author Topic: Heaven VMX Rd8 - Presentation - Dargle  (Read 8053 times)

HeavenVMX

Heaven VMX Rd8 - Presentation - Dargle
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:01:37 pm »
The last club event for 2015

The last chance to get on the track for this year. Back at Dargle with a couple of teething issues sorted out on the track 8) ;)

31 Oct / 1 Nov. Dargle. Members lunch & Presentation on the Sunday

Online entries are open and there are 23 riders already so get them in :D

Flyer and enter here
http://www.heavenvmx.com.au/2015-vmx-rnd-8-dargle-motocross/

Offline Ekka

• Legend
  • Go hard or go home
    • View Profile
Re: Heaven VMX Rd8 - Presentation - Dargle
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 07:19:19 am »
Look out I've been practicing my brake check and block passing on rocks , walbaies and trees  ;D

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:50:00 am »
The only brake check you've ever done is to confirm you actually fitted the shoes ;D
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:39:23 am »
And then discovered that he didn't... :)

But the real worry is the rocks that were faster...  ;D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Jumbo J

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:06:48 pm »
The pre race flyer says - "Full MX track - Juniors, EVO and Pre 85. Cutoff MX track - Pre70,75 & 78 and Heaven GP"
So are there actually two tracks? - one  for the vintage and one for non vintage.?

HeavenVMX

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »
The pre race flyer says - "Full MX track - Juniors, EVO and Pre 85. Cutoff MX track - Pre70,75 & 78 and Heaven GP"
So are there actually two tracks? - one  for the vintage and one for non vintage.?

Oops you picked up my deliberate typo error  :-[.

All bikes ride the same track at Dargle Pre65-Pre90. We have no modern classes of racing (except Juniors who can ride modern 85cc 2T or 150cc 4T, the majority of juniors run classic bikes). There has been a few relatively minor alterations to the track now that it has run a few meetings.

Specifically the rhythm section which has been toned down significantly and also a new cut off which removes some of the grass track section to try and reduce lap times below 2min 20sec. Hopefully both will be completed by the meeting (the rhythm section will be completed). There has also been another jump added.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:40:24 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline Jumbo J

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:02:26 pm »
what is a "deliberate" typo exactly?
there was some positive feedback from members about a more vintage friendly option for pre 78's as well as a an option for later bikes after the first Dargle meeting. Not many tracks cater for this but Dargle does with its myriad circuit layouts doesn't it? or is it simply too much hassle applying for and running two tracks at the same meeting - one for old and one for new(er)?

Offline relfy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 09:13:54 pm »
Shouldn't we be thankful for the effort put in by people that made Dargle happen ??? rather than negative input ???

HeavenVMX

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 02:08:57 am »
what is a "deliberate" typo exactly?
there was some positive feedback from members about a more vintage friendly option for pre 78's as well as a an option for later bikes after the first Dargle meeting. Not many tracks cater for this but Dargle does with its myriad circuit layouts doesn't it? or is it simply too much hassle applying for and running two tracks at the same meeting - one for old and one for new(er)?

OK disregard the tongue in cheek 'deliberate typo' bit ::). Agreed in one area of the flyer there was one sentence that was not updated from a previous meeting (namely Lakes) :-[. I don’t design every flyer from scratch surely you would realise that. My sincere apologies if this has seriously mislead you. I shall endeavour to do better next time.

I rode Pre65, Pre70, Pre75 and Pre78 at the July Dargle meeting and while the track was challenging it was no more challenging than when I rode Dargle in the 70's. It is a technical track that combines sand, hard packed and grass sections, climbs, down hills, drop offs, several relatively low jumps, fast sections, slow sections and yes a rhythm section. Therefore almost everyone finds at least one section challenging every lap. Is that a bad thing? The flip side is almost everyone finds one section they really love, is that a bad thing.

Do we really want to ride on flat manicured featureless tracks with identical corners everywhere  :( so that no one is challenged or rewarded for good riding?

The rhythm (woops) section whatever you want to call them will be toned down :). I found them challenging but certainly not dangerous or over the top. It is motocross everyone had to ride the same track. There were no serious crashes (injuries) on that section but it did require a high level of commitment and technique. Riders could make up or lose a lot of time on that section that is why it is called a race. I managed to do both ::).

There will be an additional track variation applied for although that is more about reducing the lap time as it was exceeding 3min for many classes (26 corners) when using the full track.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:11:41 am »
Is the lap time thing a rule, a recommendation or just about keeping the event flowing?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

HeavenVMX

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:17 am »
Is the lap time thing a rule, a recommendation or just about keeping the event flowing?

There is no rule on lap time to our knowledge just making the program workable. With a 3min lap time even a 3 lap race requires a 12-13 min turn around.

9min 20sec for the leader to finish (remember the start is about 400m, 3 corners and 2 jumps before riders start their first full lap)
2min sec for the final rider to finish (on average)
30sec for the final rider to clear the track
10 sec to prepare the grid of riders (riders already lined up)
15 sec board
start next race

Even if we run everything perfectly without hold up that means we require around 5.5 hours to do a complete round of our program (including the two 15min +1lap GP races).

Lap times are much closer to 2min at most tracks we visit. Lakes, one of the longer tracks, we allow around 2min 10sec for the long track. with the layout of the start this means a race turn around of just over 10min for a 4 lap race. This doesn't sound like much but results in about 4.5 hour program cycle time (including the two 15min +1lap GP races)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:04:11 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:46 pm »
So if the start straight is 400 metres it doesn't comply with the MA Track Guidelines.

The maximum length is 125 Metres to the inside of the first corner.  6.4.2.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:05:58 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

HeavenVMX

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:08:21 pm »
So if the start straight is 400 metres it doesn't comply with the MA Track Guidelines.

The minimum length is 125 Metres to the inside of the first corner.  6.4.2.

Without putting too fine an edge on it. Did you read my post??? ::)
"(remember the start is about 400m, 3 corners and 2 jumps before riders start their first full lap)"

The start is 400m from the finish line no mention of the start straight in my post in fact I mention 3 corners and 2 jumps  :-\ ::).

The start straight at Dargle is 120m or so from the first corner then 50m to the second corner followed by 30m before a 30m uphill section then the 3rd corner then 40m down hill including two small step downs onto the main straight then 120m to the finish line, or in the case of the race start you commence the first full lap.

Now a few disclaimers.
1) The distances are very approximate and are not to be taken for any other purpose than as a basic explanation of the track layout.  ;)
2) The distances and features described must not be relied apon for tune, gearing, set up or to planning race strategy, calculate fuel consumption or anything else for that matter  :P  ;)
3) The distances and descriptions are very generally describing in very broad terms the approximate or possible description of one small part of the Dargle track POSSIBLY but not definatively!  :P  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:11:37 pm by HeavenVMX »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »
A 400m start straight would be as boring as hell.
Most modern 4Ts would need a service before they got to the first turn...

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »
Bejeezus Scrivo ... thats the most sense you have made ever !    ;)

I have read a load of negative feedback about Dargle since it's opening mid-year... some accurate, but most of it simply BS.

We really have to remember a few things here:
* The track is privately owned and the family that live there seem to be really doing their best after 20 odd years of no use (not sure on exact years cos I'm a Mexican but it'd be close I'd say),
* It has it's teething issues - absolutely - but remember to be kind in the offering of feedback to make it better, because...
* Any additional venue to ride our bikes at is a bloody good thing with all the pressures our tracks are constantly under !

For those that havent ridden it yet - throw your entry in, clean your filters and see you there!  :)