Author Topic: Newish two stroke  (Read 13042 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Newish two stroke
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 09:05:17 am »
Till you need parts though Ktm is so dear on parts I have a rc8r and a husaberg 550 so have recently needed some stuff through Ktm.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 09:55:12 am »
I think only Yamaha diehards would go for this shiney new toy. Everyone else I know wouldn't walk further than a KTM dealer for a machine to fill this role (arguabley) perfectly.

I think having an old "new toy" makes a lot of sense if your not racing enduro. For a start, the bike has been built from the ground up with a lot of pride and great attention to detail so he knows the bike inside and out. Wether or not it's the ducks guts is not the point. He likes the bike and it brings back happy memories.
It's why I keep my 03 Husaberg 501 instead of having the latest and greatest. Been there, done that, lost a truck load of cash each year. I had a great time with my then new 501 so i went and got another low hour '03 501. It'll do me until I hang up my boots....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 11:42:22 am »
If the price of these is close to the KTM/Husky why would you buy one?

I paid 8k for brand new 2010 YZ 250 which was 4k less than the KTM at the time, for bike I dont ride much and with a few cheap mods it's a dam good bike for everything. Will price the wide ratio gears thou and may install.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 01:05:57 pm »
Yamaha parts prices have been making me cry lately. Nearly $100 for an axle nut and adjuster block... And they didn't order the washer that I needed, either...

The nice folk at Yamaha Australia have also made sure there's not a dealer within 50 minutes of home or work, so it's pretty easy to buy stuff from overseas now...

--------

The Rec Rego kit on the YZ250X pushes the price above that of a 2016 Beta 250RR.

Beta has cheaper parts prices, electric & kick start, full ADR compliance, and a 6-speed.
I really think the YZ250X needs a RRP closer to $9000 than $10,000 to be as successful as it deserves to be.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:46 pm »
I think only Yamaha diehards would go for this shiney new toy. Everyone else I know wouldn't walk further than a KTM dealer for a machine to fill this role (arguabley) perfectly.

I think having an old "new toy" makes a lot of sense if your not racing enduro. For a start, the bike has been built from the ground up with a lot of pride and great attention to detail so he knows the bike inside and out. Wether or not it's the ducks guts is not the point. He likes the bike and it brings back happy memories.
It's why I keep my 03 Husaberg 501 instead of having the latest and greatest. Been there, done that, lost a truck load of cash each year. I had a great time with my then new 501 so i went and got another low hour '03 501. It'll do me until I hang up my boots....

I was referring tp the  new Yamaha WR250 2t as per the first post, not ITDOGS fine looking machine. Makes no sense to me to spend so much cash fixing up old bikes and I cannot justify it in anyway financially. Still that does not stop me from spending the time and the cash to do it myself, I admit, my name is Jason and I am an addict.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 12:17:24 pm »
I thought that spares prices for KTM were steep for some items (graphics) and reasonable for others (clutch cover). I admit that I have not spent a great deal on my trusty old 99 model 300EXC. I believe it is one of the cheapest bikes to keep in good shape that I have ever owned, and definitely the best trail bike i have owned.

It actually befuddles me how the OEM charge $100 plus for graphics (printed vinyl stickers) and yet $59 for a set of bars (OEM which were AFAM alloys IIRC). I think a new Rad shroud was actually cheaper than the sticker that goes on it?
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 07:16:24 pm »
maattee, look at the today generation. how much time and $$ goes into "lookin goooood duuude" Cant ride out of sight on a dark nite but still lookin goood...

factories worked out years ago to charge for the small most likely to be broke or changed parts and keep major (its too expensive sell it to the wreckers) parts cheap to keep the bike going and continually consuming cables, pistons clutch plates etc.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 09:47:51 pm »
nathan i thought you liked riding my 04 tm300 enduro it just chuged along when you wanted and also took off when you wanted amy thought it was better than her ktm 300 enduro bike that wonderfull day at yass
jim

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 10:35:34 pm »
nathan i thought you liked riding my 04 tm300 enduro it just chuged along when you wanted and also took off when you wanted amy thought it was better than her ktm 300 enduro bike that wonderfull day at yass
jim

That "wonderful day"? I love your positivity!

I'd love to have another go on that bike.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.