Author Topic: Honda XL350 Cylinder  (Read 2301 times)

Offline smalls717

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Honda XL350 Cylinder
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:19:32 pm »
Wanted... a cylinder for 74 Honda XL350. Bore condition doesnt matter as I am going to rebore to suit 420 piston.
I had one but the person who attempted to rebore it cracked it all the way around 3mm from the top.
Has anybody had previous experience boring these cylinders out to 420? doesnt leave much meat ?
I have a race in Wandering in 2 weeks and this was all I was waiting for....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Honda XL350 Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »
My Honda is bored to 420,have pulled it down for the first time in 2 years,and bore is still good.
I will say that there is very little linner left ,to be able to  rebore for an over size at 420  (87 mm).
The liner skirt is very thin.
If I do need to rebore I willl probaly fit a new liner and keep the 87mm.
From my point of view the 420 is a good size to go for. Combined with a change in cam timing I think engine wise its a pretty good setup.Steven

Gorby on this forum from Tassie is also a XL person.Alison  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline smalls717

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »
Thanks for the info. What size carby do you use with it?
Are you taking this bike to Wandering?
Hopefully I will find another barrel. I still have a CR125 and a CR250 to take. Thats if I finish them... plus my new trailer.
Taking 2 weeks off work to try and complete all of them.
I am putting the XL in a Husky mag 250 frame with 250 elsinore forks, tripl clamps, front and rear wheels.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:10 pm »
Gorby on this forum from Tassie is also a XL person.Alison
Hmmm, another Tassie person! well if you read this Gorby,.......
don't suppose you know where I can get a 350 from.....maybe.......perhaps.....buddy....pal.  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:24:10 pm »
Carby came straight from TD Hatrick & co- is a VM38 Mikuni. Rang and told him wot it was for and he sent it all rejetted. Banged it straight on and never touched it.
Piston I used is an White Bros XR400 from Ballards.
Still run points, (but looking at an electronic option) total loss battery (Nicad pack from Battery world) - & 6 volt coil.
Cam timing changed slightly - have it written down in the shed but aint going there as its too cold and ill get wet getting there.  Have an adjustable cam sprocket if your chasing one.
Change clutch springs to a set of heavier Barnett ones (MT-7-4) Dont know what they are out off. But need to slightly machine out clutch plate where the springs sit.

If Im not on the sidecar Ill definatelly take it to wandering. Have changed gearbox to XL250 ratios so would like to see how that goes.

Head gasket..... Nearly forgot. Made a copper one but that started to let go. I have been meaning to Ring Ron Chandler as I believe he is making up a 420 kit and hopefully has head gaskets to suit. (std size misses by a bit ---- well a lot actually)

RU going to Clackline??

You have probably read that the head should be modified to take roller bearings on the cam journals rather than the std bushes. .... Recommended.
My cam has been reground to a "Sports XR75 Webb profile" grind by camshaft engineering in Osborne Park.

Cant think of anything else done to the engine.
Would love to see one in a Maico
Steven :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:08:44 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:10 pm »
Serco fitted an XR400 sleeve to the last XL350 cylinder I modified to a 420,quick turn around and a good job.
not sure of the workshop number but ask for allen.They will bore it to suit your piston.

265coupe

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:56:47 pm »
PM sent.