Author Topic: What year is my TS250X?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline stretch083

• Novice
    • View Profile
What year is my TS250X?
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:10:19 pm »
G,day,
I've finally bought my first bike it's a Suzuki TS250X. It needs a fair bit of work to get it looking good again, but it starts and runs so that's the main thing..

I'm looking at buying a workshop manual for it (there's a bloke on ebay from NZ that has them) and a few parts, but i'm struggling to work out what year it was made? The vin/id plate is missing, so if anyone could tell me what to look for to tell the differences between the '84 through to '89 models that would be great. It's watercooled so that rules out it being a '84- but not sure what else to look for. There doesn't seem to much info on these bikes online.  Any help will be much appreciated!!

Also does anyone know where I could get a new radiator for it?

Cheers

Adam

Offline cr750

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • My home page
Re: What year is my TS250X?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:31:39 am »
I'm looking at buying a workshop manual for it (there's a bloke on ebay from NZ that has them) and a few parts, but i'm struggling to work out what year it was made? The vin/id plate is missing, so if anyone could tell me what to look for to tell the differences between the '84 through to '89 models that would be great. It's watercooled so that rules out it being a '84- but not sure what else to look for. There doesn't seem to much info on these bikes online.  Any help will be much appreciated!!

Also does anyone know where I could get a new radiator for it?
The '84 has a single down tube that splits just under the crankcase. The exhaust port is angled. No "power valve". The rectified has a straight line of pins. No altitude compensation gizmo.

The '84 IS water cooled, has a disk brake, and is the most powerful of the 250X models.

All my spare radiators are bent.

I have an NZ manual and it is very good quality. The manual plus http://www.bike-parts-suz.com/suzuki-moto-model-TS-250-1984.html will be plenty. The web page quoted has combined microfiche for all the models. There isn't much difference.
The major difference between the '84 and the rest is that the '84 can be used in VERi events (Victoria), and the rest cannot.

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:21 am »
The 84 model has a side exhaust port engine and a single front down tube , the post 84 has a centre exhaust port engine , a power chamber and the frame splits to acomadate the exhaust on the front down tube , both my 84 models have the altitude adjustment valve hope that helps.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:36:43 am »
Whats the number stamped on the frame? I have a chart with the numbers for Australian and Euro model bikes that would be able to ID it, otherwise the best way is to just contact an Australian Suzuki dealer tell them the frame number and they will tell you what you have. I would recommend this one http://www.mickhone.com.au as i have had success with them IDing one of my suzukis by the frame number.There will be a number on the frame that can ID it for this very reason if the plate goes 'missing'. That way you will 100% know. By the way, they do not normally go missing or 'fall off' and are riveted on good so something dodgy could have been going on here. Maybe the bikes been stollen previously or something. Maybe take it in for a police vehicle identification check first before spending a heap of money on it.  The only legit reason i think a plate would go missing is if someone was painting the frame, took the plate off and had misplaced it and therefore could not put it back on after repainting the frame.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:44:36 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022