Author Topic: Any tricks for removing stubborn flywheels??  (Read 9252 times)

Doc

Any tricks for removing stubborn flywheels??
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:07 pm »
I have an F11 sitting here with the most stubborn flywheel I have ever come across. I've just about destroyed my German made puller trying to get it off but she's stuck fast :o  Anyone have any other ideas for getting them off. I've got to the stage now where a splash of fuel and box of matches is on the short list >:(

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Any tricks for removing stubborn flywheels??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:44 pm »
600gms C4 plastic.... ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »
i remember a torrid tale of a particually stubborn 185 flywheel Doc.
 it required the combination of brute strength a carton of VB an enormous burp simultaniously with a window shattering fart

couple of tyre irons helped it aswell.

Keep working on it mate. I used the hot spanner , bent the centre bolt in a puller  and soaked it for three days and it still wouldnt budge . ended up applying every method all at once  and after the fourth shot and 14th ale  a burp and fart off it popped. Unsure if I shat my pants from suprise but it came off .

Doc

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »
C4..I'll get onto my Iranian cousins  :D

now to option 2 :-\ I may be missing one or two vital elements Pokey, the VB and the brute strength!  I'll make sure I have a pillow stapped to my arse to protect the windows though! Good tip thanks!!  ;D I've bent my puller shaft too and it really hurts! :'(  fuggin' bugger eh! :D I've left it loaded with about a zillion lbs tension and everytime I walk past I smack it with the hammer, kinda feels good  :P I bet if I left the nut off and rode it more than a klm from home it would simply fall off..and, take out the headlight of the Bently driving the other way..I can't afford that method ::)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:25:53 pm by Doc »

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:39 pm »
Give it a squirt of Lanoguard ( penetrating oil ) Brilliant stuff ....
2 tyre irons lanoguard & the use of the rattle gun was how I got the old Ts Fly wheel off ( and a shit load of the 4 letter stuff )

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:00:40 pm »
yeah keep the pressure on it Doc and keep wackin it, makes ya feel good wackin  the crap out of somethin when it isnt working right. I used an entire can of Inox on the 185 flywheel . bastard  wasnt machined clean on the taper so a little bit of rust had glued it all tight. Havnt tried that lanox  as yet  but we sell it at work

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:12:31 pm »
I recently had a similar soul destroying experience with an RT1 engine that had been under water at one stage of its life. I tried for about three days, used heat, big hammers and small tyre irons and small hammers and big tyre irons. In the end I gave it a whole spray can of Lanolux or whater brand of lanolin spray it was, and left it for about three days in disgust. I then called my mate Stan over for him to have a go and before he put the puller on for his attempt he gave the flywheel a jiggle with his thumb and forfinger and the bloody thing fell off in his hand.

Bottom line Doc....You need some Lanolin spray, a couple of days and my mate Stan.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »
Serious bit here Doc, I used one of those"freezing" sprays recently on a stuck Suzuki PE one . Resulted instantly in the stuck on magnets (pains in the bum!!) parts of the wheel falling off! I know these mongrels are to be treated with kid gloves so no undue force was being used. Now I don't have a spare PE 250 flywheel as I gave it to the bloke in embarrassment for breaking his. >:( Tim
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:29:46 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31:35 pm »
Thats the stuff Firko .... made by  Lanotec - labelled Lanolin

Also great M/cycle chain lubricant .....reqiures bugger all compared to other products  ;)

Quicksilver

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:39:44 pm »
Thats the stuff Firko .... made by  Lanotec - labelled Lanolin

Also great M/cycle chain lubricant .....reqiures bugger all compared to other products  ;)

Where do ya get it.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:46:26 pm »
where do ya get it!!  :P used to be an ad on TV like that but I can't remember what for..obviously not Lonaguard or lanolin or annie lennox or something  :D great stuff, seems the general concensus is some tpe of penetration formula and lots of patience..the first I can buy but the second I have no idea!  :D soul destroying is completly accurate Firko, I just went and flogged it some more and I'll be back in the morning..I'd love nothing better than to wake up and it's fallen off onto the floor and it was all just a bad dream  ::)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:49:23 pm by Doc »

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:20:10 pm »
We sell that and lanotech "No chukka" chain lube at work over at Geebung Doc, prolly be able to get it at a lot of places

OOps my bad. its Lanox  by the Inox people we sell
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:00:54 pm by pokey »

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:35 pm »
Here it is ..  New product on LHS , old style RHS

Offline jhovel

• C-Grade
  • Joe near Bendigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:01 pm »
There is another option for removing reluctant parts on tapered or parallel spindles: heat or cold - you heat the outside part to expand and become looser, or cool the insde part to shrink and become looser - or both!
Heating with a flame is probably not a good idea with a flywheel (magnets don't like it and the coils inside don't either), but cooling the crankshaft is fine.
Bearing services sell a pressure can of a coolant for just the purpose. You can either spray it on (probably not all that effective since it would go all over the flywheel as well (and shrink that too), or you can wrap and tape a piece of rubber foam on the threaded crnak end and insert the nozzle into that and then slowly let the fluid soak the rubber foam. That will cool it and the crankshaft end and evenually freeze it into a nice lump of 'sort of dry ice' (about -40 deg from memory). If you sat or held a piece of metal or plastic pipe around that arrangement and applied a bit of heat to the flywheel from - say - a hot air gun (without getting any heat onto the slowly freezing crank end inside the tube or the magneto/stator coils inside), you should be able to loosen it enough to just pop off or at least break any rust bond enough to use the flywheel puller in the normal way.
I've had success with this method with a cast-iron pulley on a steel shaft and a couple of broken off studs stuck in an aluminium head.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:11:32 pm by jhovel »
Joe near Bendigo
SL175, SL70, XL250S, CT110 collecting bits....

Doc

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 04:56:42 pm »
thanks all..tried a few things today..all of them excepting the levers and the cryogenics as the lever method brings back horrors from a past life :o And surprise surprise, it's still stuck fast >:( the puller now has it's own little indentations where it fits from pulling with all it's might, the end looks like a mushroom from me tapping it like a madman over 1 zillion times,the dog and neighbors hate me, my ears are ringing constantly, the shaft resembles a piece of twisted spaghetti though it somehow looks quite functional and artistic but the flywheel still looks brand new as if it's just been put on at the factory..hence this maybe muh problem..it's NEVER been orf!!! :o heeeelp!! anyone local got a really big-assed puller?? :'(  Firko, what's your mate number!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:03:06 pm by Doc »