Author Topic: 1981-83 XR200R / XR200 cylinder (two-valve model)  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Jules

• Novice
    • View Profile
1981-83 XR200R / XR200 cylinder (two-valve model)
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »
After getting me through many vinduros the little XR is in need of a serious birthday.

Harrow was the final straw with plumes of smoke spewing from the poor thing as it tried to emulate the faster 2-strokes and a blown rear shock didn't help. Pulled up stumps at the second fuel dump on Saturday. Thankfully I had a PE to take on a successful maiden ride on Sunday. Talk about a shakedown test!

Anyway, haven't split the cases yet, no doubt the bearings are shot but right now I am looking for a barrel as this picture will attest:

If anyone has a cylinder that is in a serviceable condition please let me know.

If anyone knows whether a later two-valve (86-on?) barrel fits, information would be appreciated. I might post in the Honda forum as well regarding this.

I'll be at Blackwood next weekend on the off chance that anyone can bring one along.

Cheers .. Jules

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: 1981-83 XR200R / XR200 cylinder (two-valve model)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:12:15 pm »
why not simply overbore the barrell you have,a bigbore kit if available might cleanup the tramway,(your'e up for a piston anyway?), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:24 pm »
There's parts lists on partzilla.com, which should point you on the right path.
Also check part numbers for gaskets and cam chain.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:17:28 am »
ive got a wisco 1mm oversize piston kit i no longer need pm me for details

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:01:32 am »
ive got a wisco 1mm oversize piston kit i no longer need pm me for details

If Jules does not want it will could be interested Matt PM me .

The stig

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:16:00 am »
Man they're just the greatest little motor ever i recon. Steel head gasket's a must when being thrashed as [in my experience] the ordinary composition ones end up blowing as not much meat around where the dowels are by memory--something like that!!. Hell i've even got a 185 that i ran out of a good cage to use on the bigend & had to be got going for the next day so i just crowded the rollers--[double the amount pretty much], cut the ends of the old cage to use as spacers to keep the rollers central & pressed it up. Still going years later but in saying that--very little use. So don't do as i do lol!! unless you're desperate. & it's in a pe250 frame. Oh ok i'll find a pic for a laugh on me!!. Camera leaves a line across pic.

Offline Jules

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 03:51:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys,

matcho mick: The barrel is really stuffed, I don't think even a big bore would be possible  :-\

Nathan S: Thanks for the info, I have ordered from Partzilla a few times - it's a fantastic resource for part no's. Partshark and Thumpertalk are also really good (I think that they actually are better when looking at your order status, Thumpertalk customer service was good when I ordered parts). Partzilla normally works out cheaper though.

TT5 Matt: Thanks for the offer, I'll send you a pm :)

OverTheHill: Talk about a Frankenbike! Well done. I am riding a 1980 PE175 in the interim and am enjoying it!