Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 13861 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Jury duty
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »
G'day viewers I'm in shock I just got the mail from my letter box & I have a fine of $1,715.00 for not going to jury duty in March. I didn't even know I had jury duty in March bloody hell. Overdue fine pay now it says I'd rather go to gaol then hand over that kind of money for something I new nothing about. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Jury duty
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:36:44 pm »
Is it a scam? Check the address/web address - see whether they match the place they say they're from.

Assuming you convince yourself that it isn't a scam, just write them a polite letter saying "how the hell was I supposed to know I had jury duty?".
As amazing as it might seem, they do screw up. I got a red light camera ticket for a car is wrecked two years earlier, and an uncle was hounded for months by the CSA for child support for a kid that could not possibly have been his.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »

When ever I get a email that I think might not by right I highlight and copy a couple of lines off the email and paste them in Google, it comes up immediately if it is a scam and with all the relevant info.
  With a fine that large I would nearly bet that this is a scam.
                                                                                        Zane

Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:56:52 pm »
Thanks Nathan but it seems to be all official. I've sent in a please explain through there system & will go in on Monday in person & plead my innocents. I have no history of this it's straight out of the blue.jimson

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 02:56:23 pm »
I got a fine for not voting once - went in and advised time and place of my voting and said maybe they should check their records - no more said or heard of - yes they do make mistakes.  Best of luck correcting it J.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »
Jimson, a good first port of call with this "Notice" is the Clerk of Courts office at your nearest Court Building. They may just save you a lot of drama, distress and heart ache.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 05:15:58 pm »
first off you should have recieved a letter from the justice office of the sheriff "notice of inclusion on juror roll" and given an
8 digit juror number. the roll runs for one year. IF you are summoned to serve on a jury more paper work etc  and selection process.
try www.juror.nsw.gov.au and fill in basic details and you can check if you were on roll/given 8 digit number.
some prick is trying to scam ya

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:30 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.I'll be looking at all advise from this thread as I've never had to deal with this before. Thanks jimson

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:03:36 pm »
time to have some fun with that scammer
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:51 pm »
It was $50 fine for not voting. Can't see how missing jury duty could be $1700.

(I got off the not voting fine by pointing out that I broke my leg that day - they pretty much took me at my word).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 09:54:36 pm »
Well, it is time for Australia to become republic and get rid of this stupid justice system. Judges get pay  hundreds of thousands of dollars a year so let them decide. What kind of democracy/freedom  is being penalised for not voting or being asked to decide that somebody i have never met or heard of is guilty or not. Even comunists never asked anybody to do that. It is time for you people to stop being sheep and put up with this freedom b...s. Lived in Australia for fiveteen years and have not voted once.  Also if you selected for jury, just tell them that you are a practising christian and you belive that the God can only decide who is gulty and who is not. They will probably think your a wierd but who cares.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 10:39:38 pm »
Well, it is time for Australia to become republic and get rid of this stupid justice system. Judges get pay  hundreds of thousands of dollars a year so let them decide. What kind of democracy/freedom  is being penalised for not voting or being asked to decide that somebody i have never met or heard of is guilty or not. Even comunists never asked anybody to do that. It is time for you people to stop being sheep and put up with this freedom b...s. Lived in Australia for fiveteen years and have not voted once.  Also if you selected for jury, just tell them that you are a practising christian and you belive that the God can only decide who is gulty and who is not. They will probably think your a wierd but who cares.
A very well thought out and articulate response that will solve all our problems Tomas - well done.
G'day viewers I'm in shock I just got the mail from my letter box & I have a fine of $1,715.00 for not going to jury duty in March. I didn't even know I had jury duty in March bloody hell. Overdue fine pay now it says I'd rather go to gaol then hand over that kind of money for something I new nothing about. Jimson
You might want to chase this up ASAP Garry as the fine sounds about right for missing jury duty. It's very unfair given that you didn't even know about it, but if you don't resolve it quickly there may be all sorts of repercussions. Good luck with it mate.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »

I don't agree Tomas.
I always do jury duty.
 I would rather 12 of you guys judge me than some drunken old judge.
Once got done for undue care and attention . [ Head on with a shela on my side of the road but I was on a bike so I was in the wrong]
At the end of the case the judge said I was traveling at a dangerous speed [ less than 80ks in a 100k zone according to the prosecutor  ]
That was when everyone in the court [ prosecutor included ] figured the judge was drunk.

Also sat in the family court and seen a judge tell the fathers barrister to wind it up because she had to go out to dinner.
Let judges have free rein , not a bloody chance.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »
I agree with you Mike 52
Good example.

I would rather my innocence or guilt particularly if more opinion than fact, be determined by 12 citizens, rather than by one judge.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:33:08 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 09:03:06 pm »
Reminds me of the famous quote where the defendant was asked "Do you wish to be judged in absentia or by a jury of your peers?" to which the defendant replied "What do you mean by "peers"your Honour?"
"By that I mean you will be judged by 12 people just like yourself" replied the Magistrate
"Well in that case I'll take in absentia, whatever that is, because I don't want to be judged by 12 car thieves"
Jesus only loves two strokes