Author Topic: When will it all end  (Read 7389 times)

Offline ozktm151

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
When will it all end
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:07 am »
Went to the news agent yesterday and the headline on the bike magazine said new KTMs faster, lighter and better handling. Been reading dirt bike mags for 40 years and have read that phrase more times than I have had hot dinners. If I bought a new bike today it would be the Starship Enterprise doing warp speed up its own arse. Should rush out and buy one! Still it sells bikes and magazines. Don't you love getting older

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: When will it all end
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:55 am »
The reality is that even since the end of the era of big, obvious changes (1975 to 1986), bikes have been steadily improving, just like they did before 1975.

But headlines that say "Incremental changes and new graphics!" don't sell bikes or magazines...

The fact that 95% of big technology changes are actually a step backward for the first year/generation doesn't make attention grabbing headlines, either.

KTM's current obsession with weight reduction is interesting. They have a reputation for breaking triple clamps and hubs for a while now, but seem obsessed with taking more and more weight out - I hope they end up working out how to build light AND durable bikes, and then everyone can follow. But it all feels a bit too Colin Chapman for me ATM.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »
To my knowledge the FIM has minimum weights for each class of bikes for all racing.

This came into Motocross when Suzuki started building very light bikes with all sorts of expensive metals.

A lighter bike also puts less stress on components.  All that the VMX competitors need now is lighter riders.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:12:47 pm »
Bike manufacturers: "we have changed to a single/twin carb, to assist with starting and improve power delivery" remember the XR series went to dual, back to single - always the above claim.

Most bike journos: "this bike is the greatest MX bike ever. The power delivery and suspension action is supurb..."
Next year: "the Suspension has been redesigned to adress the poor function of last years model and the new cam helps with the weak top end power that plagued last years model.."

MXA is one of the few magazines that will actually criticize a bike. They are still claiming the YZ forks (old school springs) are by far the best of the current MX bikes.

New "air spring" models are easier to market. The current gen think airforks are new :)

The incremental improvements have resulted in some incredible bikes.
I marvel at my ('08) 250F MX bike every time I ride it.
I ride my aging (relatively - 2006) 450F Enduro bike thinking how amazed I'd have been to hop off my TT600 (first model) and onto the modern 450. It would have impressed the teenage me!

Lightweight, is always good to ride.
("Light, Strong, Cheap - pick the two you want" - old cycling adage)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:31:29 pm »
I have a three model old 2T enduro bike (2012 model) set up just how I like it, it's an awesome thing. Having said that I do look at the "new" crop of similar bikes & find myself having to justify why I SHOULDN'T buy one. I won't be having any more fun or going any faster on one and it would cost me easily 6-8K to upgrade, but the lure is out there......
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:52:59 pm »
I have a three model old 2T enduro bike (2012 model) set up just how I like it, it's an awesome thing. Having said that I do look at the "new" crop of similar bikes & find myself having to justify why I SHOULDN'T buy one. I won't be having any more fun or going any faster on one and it would cost me easily 6-8K to upgrade, but the lure is out there......
K

Lol - the 2014 and 2015 models didn't tempt me, but the 2016s have had me wondering about the cost to upgrade... And it's not like my '13 model isn't making me happy...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:02:44 pm »
Yes, get a look at the 2016 Sherco factory edition 250/300 2T & also the 2016 Husqvarna TC125, even the orange brethren have some tasty new fare for 2016 (although not a new 250/300 engine till 2017, rumoured). Mmmm doughnuts......
K

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:04:24 pm »
Having just spent the last 5 yrs selling tyres the general enquiry was in relation to the latest ad or advertorial that basicaly told the punters that whoever was stumping up the most cabbage for an add in their rag produced the best product.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:32 pm »
Having just spent the last 5 yrs selling tyres the general enquiry was in relation to the latest ad or advertorial that basicaly told the punters that whoever was stumping up the most cabbage for an add in their rag produced the best product.

I'd believe it.
"My Dunlop tires hooked up today, and helped me get the holeshot on my Monster Energy Pro Circuit McDonalds Toyota Maxima Oils Kawasaki." "Also the 'man above' and my practice bike mechanic"

Again, MXA at least criticize some tires they test. Most tests are, as you say, advitorials.

A new bike is always tempting. Then I'd need to have the suspension set up to suit....
The main problem is the "old" bike, immaculate and set up, is almost worthless.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
New bike mags are boring, they say the same things year in year out, I stopped buying them many years ago.
 How many articles do you need to see on how to clean a air filter.
 Rather spend 5 grand on a nice resto than 12 grand on a fuel injected orange thing that will be worthless in 5 years.
 ;)

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:58:49 pm »
Agree with Curtis the modern mags are full of the same stuff recycled , prefer myTS250X or the RT360 to ride rather than my modern one now days and love the return to old 2 strokes after a long break from them.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:09:16 pm by Andrew L »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:33:14 pm »
New bike mags are boring, they say the same things year in year out, I stopped buying them many years ago.
 How many articles do you need to see on how to clean a air filter.
 Rather spend 5 grand on a nice resto than 12 grand on a fuel injected orange thing that will be worthless in 5 years.
 ;)

My thoughts exactly.....

And, my 13 year old "modern bike" still makes me smile and I enjoy riding it. I won't be sucked into the hype of needing the latest and "greatest dirtbike" ever. Been there, done that and at the end of the day, all it did was cost more money on suspension set up etc..... I'll stick with what I know thanks
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 05:40:32 am »

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »
Back in the olden days entered a short circuit meeting at a place called Nemingha near Tamworth. There were all sorts of bikes from motocross (An old grey haired bloke on a Maico called Willis was one) to sliders of all sorts even a Yamaha twin, rumours were of a pretty fast kid that should do well. Most bikes were running on methanol and pretty tricked out. The kid was on a Yamaha, a standard Yamaha MX from memory (Bit clouded, long time ago). He absolutely blitzed all the regular bikes and was top 3 most of the time with the A graders. I'm sure he was a C grader at the time, his name was Steven Gall.

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 06:47:28 pm »
This year's TS185ER is the best yet! It's blue!

looks pretty much the same as the first ER series in the late 70,s but jeez those new stickers must make it better.

Yeah they still sell them new in Bolivia.

I will stick with my pre76s