Author Topic: Matt Moss crash at Shep..  (Read 26507 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Matt Moss crash at Shep..
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:40:25 pm »
Wow, just saw the video on FB.
A bobcat on the track at the down ramp of a table top, Mossy hit it full noise, lucky to be alive....
How does this happen at a National event?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Moss crash at Shep..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:51:25 pm »
is he Ok?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:04:37 pm »
is he Ok?

Apparently, broke most his ribs and a wrist..

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »
Sometimes in racing, shit just happens. This does not appear to be one of those times.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »
Yes we all hope he is OK,everyone's worst nightmare.Those people and clubs that organise and officiate in  events will take a step back,and wait for the outcome of the investigation.You really do need eyes in the back of your head!and 200% communication.
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:49:06 pm »
Seeing that video makes my blood boil. I hope Matt is going to ride again.

There could quite easily have been a coroner present at that track today.

I'd be hoping one of his recommendations would have be to outlaw uncontrolled (flagged) blind landing jumps in MX.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 12:20:43 am »
Seeing that video makes my blood boil. I hope Matt is going to ride again.

There could quite easily have been a coroner present at that track today.

I'd be hoping one of his recommendations would have be to outlaw uncontrolled (flagged) blind landing jumps in MX.

We don't need more rules. Don't give nanna any ideas.
You can't moron proof the world. (But keeping them out of positions of power has merit.)

A sickening crash that should not have happened.
I wish Matt a speedy and complete recovery.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:56:48 am by skypig »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:26:06 am »
I can see how this could happen without any big screwups from any particular person - it could be the culmination of just a couple of small & "reasonable" mistakes (use your imagination).

But it still beggars belief that it could happen in the premier class at the modern national titles. That it's happened to the reigning champ is even more incredible.

I can see some "interesting" legal shenanigans coming from this.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:17:28 am »
Shocking thing to have happened and hope he heals up okay.
The sort of accident that could screw with your head if you let it.

As much as I dislike blind landing jumps I don't see that it was the cause of this accident.
It's easy to think the Bobcat driver was to blame but he could be well thinking what was the rider doing on the track when they asked me to go fix it?
Two sides to every fence.
Communication with the starter and others on the track is often done by flag so signals could be easily misread, although you would think a National event would have had an abundance of radios.

Reminds me of back in the 80's when I was practicing at Broadmeadows motorcycle track, came around a corner down out the back into a bit of a dip and came face to face with a front end loader.
I was lucky to have had the time to brake to avoid the bucket teeth by the skin of my nylons, when I told him if he needed to be out here he should have had someone flag everyone to a stop he told me to F off as he could drive it anywhere he wanted.
I'm sure that place used workers that had to do community service a lot of the time!
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 11:21:49 am »
That is a really shocking incident to have happen alright! The hit was hard, you can see the Bobcat move backwards from the impact.

One thing I have always noticed about Heaven NSW, is their consistency of making sure the track is clear before every start and there are a lot of starts. Marshals are positioned so that the track is in full view. All flag marshals have radios. The process is religiously adhered to and very professional.

It would be difficult for most victims to emerge from this without a deep Anger. It shouldn't have happened at any level.
Disgusting.

No doubt we would all wish Matt Moss the very best of care and a full eventual recovery, good luck and fingers crossed for you Matt.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:12:40 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
There will be a lot of things come out of this.  But number one is I hope Matt recovers completely.

The things we all need to consider now are.

1.  A MX track is a work area and the rules for safety need to be applied.  Don't let machinery onto tracks unless it is secure to do so.
2.  Don't let riders or even other people into the track area while machines are working.  Skid Steers (bobcats) often work going backwards and the operators have limited vision.  Walking the track while machines are working should not be permitted.
3.  Communication is the key to everything.

I won't speculate on what happened.  I'm sure MA and WEM will investigate fully.

Get well soon Matt.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »
No doubt he truth will be found.

The track should be closed before any machinery is instructed or sent out.
That is what NSW VMX do.
No one is allowed out there whilst preparation or repairs are being done and the track is not reopened until the machinery has returned.
Simple and I until now imagined it would be the norm across the board.

I have seen this next video a few times and thought that such a lack of common sense viewed by so many as he passed last week could never happen again on a race track >:(
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=818_1412603603
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 03:34:35 pm »
...Especially considering Jules Bianchi died last week as a result of that crash.

Speculating: I'm wondering if Moss wasn't supposed to be on the track, or if race command had lost track of him (and thought he was off the track).
While it's easy to see how communication issues could have ended up with bike and bobcat sharing the track, it's much harder to see how he wasn't flagged down before committing to that jump.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
I was at the Brisbane super x about 4yrs back when Millsaps was riding and I'm pretty sure it was one of the Moss brothers that hit some trackside equipment that night and ended up in the ambo. Its not good enough. You can't fix stupid!