Author Topic: MX Footpegs from China  (Read 5152 times)

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
MX Footpegs from China
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »
Has anyone used these out of china, they look like cast iron. Wonder how strong they would be ?
RM370A RM250A RM125A RM125S YZ250A YZ125C XR75K4

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: MX Footpegs from China
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:10:12 pm »
You'll need to put up a link, I had a set of alloy footpegs from china that were horrible, holes were different sizes meaning 1 angled down & both were full of big voids. 1 snapped off through the voids at the bottom of a hill, luckily I wasn't standing on it at the time

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »

Mick I have bought 3 sets from China yes they are cast iron a little bit Heavy but quite strong
   I would say stronger than Std Yamy or Honda the good thing about them is you can
   grind them to suit the bike...

The Stig

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:07:15 pm »
I won't touch them anymore - not since breaking an (apparently) good quality one in a 4th gear G-out. Clean break, no sign of fatigue.

Beta footpegs are a nice low design, unlike most Chinese pegs that rob you of ~15mm of leg space.
And are $90/pair, which is the best price I've seen for quality pegs.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:51:14 pm »
I'm done buying anything from China, India or Hong Kong....fcuking siht.

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:27:59 pm »
Thanks guys, might give them a miss. I will go with the genuine RM85/KLX125 pegs, been told they will fit straight onto the early RM's. Around $70 a pair.

Offline djr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 03:35:19 am »

These days its hard to buy anything that's not made in China, even Brands that you think are good quality American or European .
I have just brought a Bell open face helmet, all looks ok to be honest , but when cleaning the liner found a tiny sticker with
" Made In China "
To be fair there is good and bad stuff coming out of all these countries

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:20:16 pm »
yeah,i'm hearing you DJR,bucket list trip to daytona,needed new race helmet,buy American i thought!,free shipping a Bell helmet to my sponsor in Virginia,lovely,then spotted spare screens made in china sticker  ???,another closer look at helmet  :o,geezas,nothings sacred, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »
I have a similar looking pair on my IT400 and haven't broken them yet. Dunno if they are cast iron or cast steel.

Mind you I am not a shit hot rider either and spend most of my time on the seat, but I find them useful for finding things in long grass, finding hidden tree stumps, pinning my boot to the ground when I bin it, and hanging the bike up on deep ruts etc.

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »

These days its hard to buy anything that's not made in China, even Brands that you think are good quality American or European .
I have just brought a Bell open face helmet, all looks ok to be honest , but when cleaning the liner found a tiny sticker with
" Made In China "

Your on the mark there, they make almost everything these days, it just comes down to the contracting companies quality control specs on the goods.
 i got delivered a set of fork preasure bleeders today, cheap as chips from china, pacaged as well as any top of the line bike parts ive ever had and they are quality to boot, like something from some US factory race line.
It can really be hit and miss. We pretty much all have china horror stories.

PS: they make some awsome sling shots.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »
A rule of thumb, if the product is made for a major company then it will most likely be made to decent standards.
If these manufacturing companies are left to their own devices they will most likely shortcut something.

Often the cheap part will look the same as what the major company sells but it is rumoured that some of these manufacturing companies let there workers build the same parts in their own time in the same moulds/tooling, this is when they may shortcut ingredients.

Cast Iron has good compression strength but poor tensile strength and welding capabilities are poor.

Cast steel has good tensile strength and good weldabilty but if the ingredients are trifled with then it will become brittle.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/customs-seizes-bogus-car-parts-for-toyota-corolla-camry-rav4-and-kluger/story-fnjwucvh-1227437368982
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:33 pm »

" Made In China "
Yeah, probably was a bit of a generalised statement, maybe should have been.......from China, India or Hong Kong on Ebay......Fcuking Siht.