Author Topic: How active are you ?  (Read 10404 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
How active are you ?
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »
G'day viewers I was just wondering how active some of you woman & blokes are,let's say above 45years of age ? I deliver furniture for a living now & at 49 years I'm really starting to feel it. Having said that I couldn't imagine a desk job it would drive me up the wall. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: How active are you ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:49 am »
Throw an underpowered  and very overweight  CT110 for 6 hours minimum  every week every day on an ever changing course and you start to get the idea, throw in a bit if rain  and skinny road tyres  on clay hills and it starts to get fun.  And they make you wear damn fluro yellow and your expected to be nice and smile.

no wonder i need a nap when i get home.

Fitness does improve your riding and so does the bike your riding, If your on a modern with suspension and brakes its almost cheating. Im a wee bit more than 49 and a desk job Hmm.. How much does it pay?

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:39:20 am »
Ive hit the big five O and try to stay fit.  Lucky i have a job that helps me with that.  I have one of those LifeTrak watches so i can see where i am at as it tracks steps, kilometers, sleep etc.  I am Deck Crew on a gas platform so average 18 kilometers of walking up and down stairs a day. (26,000 steps).  I also get up at 4am and hit the gym for an hour every second day at work.  I dont eat rice, pasta, bread, spuds, sugar, fizzy drinks etc, and manage to stay at 80kg's.  Feel great!  As i sit at this computer, i checked my resting heart rate and its sitting on 48 bpm.  All this and i have an artificial aortic heart valve.  I fell sick when i was a kid with rheumatic fever and was left with a doggy valve.  Always had to stay fit to look after it.  Had open heart surgery at 32 and 48 to replace it.  Edwards bovine pericardium TFX3000... i feel bionic! Dont take any medication for anything, but do take iron, magnesium, fish oil, vitamin C every day.  Stay fit fella's.........

Offline Ekka

• Legend
  • Go hard or go home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:22:27 am »
My work keeps me fit ,been a chippy for 28 years but yes starting to find it harder on the body

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:25:31 am »
I have 53 coming up & have always been kept fit as my brain won't let me be idle. I like to remain "functionally fit" & still do cardio twice a day, 5 days a week & weights two days, however I have found that I don't have the recovery I did in my younger days & need to take 1 day a week of full rest. I  have also found that I can go about 6 weeks hard but then have to have an "easy" week of little or no exercise. I no longer lift heavy as I don't need to & really don't want any of the lower back & joint stress that can go with that. Most of it is in the mind & it's the mind that defeats people who struggle with training (or anything).
K

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:26:30 am »
I am feeling it in the mornings jim you aren't a lone , it's been 26 years of carrying Gyprock around for me it's starts to take its toll on the body that's for sure and I'm only 43 .

But have been looking for something a bit easy on the body .
And riding the tt500 tractor around on race days doesnt help 7 and half inch of travel  ::)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:21 am »
arthritic fingers are doing me in, losing strength in the upper body and carrying a couple too many k's that take weeks to banish and 1 good feed to find again.....spent the last month on a drill rig lugging bags of dirt about. has not helped the fingers but feeling a bit fresher all up. if I can get a ride a week I stay in reasonable shape but I haven't ridden since Christmas and two weeks a go I did 3 hrs on a fe 350 in q land and took 2 days to get over that! things could be worse! worked with a guy afew months ago, he was bobcat driving, mini excavating and we put up fences built retaining walls and did a 50 car carpark (I was on the wacker packer somehow..) he died last week. diagnosed with lung cancer a month ago and then his lung arteries burst and drowned the poor bastard.
we are here for a good time Not a long time.....

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:03:34 am »
Throw an underpowered  and very overweight  CT110 for 6 hours minimum

All of us dream of being a pro motorcycle rider pokey, you have made it to the big time ;D ;D,

My current job involves 50/50 driving & physical, I swim 1k one night a week which is not much for a good swimmer but enough for me who is just above dog paddle stage,my knees are stuffed from arthritis/MX etc so cannot run but I try to cycle at least once on the weekend if I am not dirt biking, Swimming sets you up with good lung capacity which helps heaps with other training but it does not seem to help too much with loosing weight :( :( :( :(, There is no substitute for being bike fit but riding more ;) that = time & money most of us don't have, don't let that stop ya though :)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 09:27:03 am »
Oh yeah I forgot, I also have a floor to ceiling punching ball, 3-5 minutes(depends on how fit I am at the time ;)) laying into it with a 1 min rest between for 1/2 an hour, great fun,good for hand eye coordination & also good stress relief, it's looked like a few different faces over time if ya get my drift ;), I started out with a punching bag but found it was jarring the crap outta my shoulders, the ball has much more give,no need for heavy boxing gloves either just a light pair of riggers gloves or mx gloves to save skin abrasion :)

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:21:32 am »
51.....weight training 4 days a week plus cardio,some supplements.MX and VMX when I feel like it.Recovery not as fast as when younger but still lift plenty when I feel strong.The desire and motivation has never left or the MX bug.Keep healthy guys......oh Im an RN so know the negative effects of an unhealthy lifestyle which is mirrored in the patients we look after.
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 10:46:52 am »
well i am 46 and my heart rate increases to 150 BPM for at least 10 mins at least 10 times per week from:
Shagging -at least twice per week
smoking MJ -at least 1 joint per week
Road rage -0.5 times per week
General stress - 0.5 per week
Peaking it - twice per week
and i make up the rest of my quote with riding a pushy or dirt squirt of some sort.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
not fit at all at 52, i use the Pushy to get the mail and i live in the standard size block in the burbs. might have to get a pit bike as this is tiring.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 03:03:43 pm »
62 in a couple of weeks.
Riding around 2500klm a month of the worst roads we can find.
And lovin every minute of it. ;D
I own the xr400.

85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 07:10:53 pm »
62 body stuffed from a very physical life of 20 + yrs army, semi professional soccer, broken leg, knee reconstruction, stretch Achilles, extremely bad motor vehicle accident, bad arthritis, etc, etc.  Complaining, No just getting on with it.  Like most have problems getting out of bed on a Monday after riding, but still smiling.  Stop and you die a slow lonely old age life.  Even now came off the bike on the weekend, torn hammy, tennis elbow, care factor Zero, "I'll be back" Cheers!!

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline bigthumpa

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »
You didn't say you received most of your injuries as a crowd controller at a gay bar Baz! ;D