Author Topic: Wanted OW26 400cc parts !  (Read 2488 times)

Offline rob

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Wanted OW26 400cc parts !
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:56:52 pm »
Can anybody on this forum  help me try to find engine parts to suit the 1976/77 Yamaha OW 26 400cc works bike that was brought into OZ at the very end of the 1975 for the 1976 season .
Considering only two ever came to OZ it's a big ask to try and locate bits, but I will not give up on it after all these years !!
I have spoken to just about all that where involved with this machine back in the day and have unearthed nothing ...
I have made contact with some collectors around the world with some not even bothering to return an email (Terry Good in the US being one).
I would love to hear from anyone who may have a new lead for me to try.

Regards
Rob

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted OW26 400cc parts !
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:51:43 am »
I start with call and Frank Pons. Does Call still have his?
What parts are required as most stuff these days can be made.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:22 pm »
       Hi Rob. You have probably already tried these options, but I would make enquiries on the MXTRAX UK forum vintage section, or the French forum called, Le Guide Vert. The MXTRAX forum seems to be dying off a bit lately, but the French site appears to be powering along ( although you need to be able to understand French, or use a google translator ). I wouldn't expect too many leads from the OZVMX forum, because a lot of the people that race or are interested in vintage motocross bikes, have moved on, because of a few that mainly post negative stuff or boring endless threads about various interpretations of rules.
      Another place to look for OW parts, might be a guy in Italy, with a Facebook page called : Mastercross VMX Works Riders , Bikes and Parts . He often posts up pictures of interesting works bike parts that he has for sale. You can just Google the name to come up with his Facebook page. Good luck with your search.

Offline rob

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:50:43 pm »
Slakewell ,

What's frank Pons up to these days ...... would you happen to have a contact for him ?
The major part I'm missing is the one off magnesium crank cases !
Second is magnesium rear hub.
Third is the billet rear shock.
Other than the above there was enough parts left over at the end of the session that stayed with the bike which will enable me to piece it back together just like it was back in 76.
I was even lucky enough that the bike came with original paper work and fax's listing new OW spares
that were sent from japan to Millage Yamaha .
Stephen Galls 1977 OW25 250cc was returned to Japan after the Nationals, it did come with a heap of spares which were thrown out about 15 years ago  :'(

Anyway thanks for your reply
Regards
Rob.

Offline rob

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
Husky,
Great lot of contacts you have for me to try.
One big problem for me is that there was no factory Yamaha team in Europe 1976, but the US did have bikes for the likes of Bob Hannah and co .
I did post on the Elsinore swap meet site and out come the scammers with photo's shots of Ake Johnson 1975 OW26 saying they had a running bike and were parting out an engine and bits!!
Your right about the forum it sure has gone flat over the last year or so but thought it would be worth a shot.

Cheers
Rob

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:59 pm »
what do you want me to say to frank he is just down the road from me

Offline rob

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 09:46:18 pm »
Jimg,

I'm going to look him up and have a chat, as you just never know if he has any thing.
76/77 I'm sure he was working for Gunter I may be wrong ...

Thanks
Rob.