Author Topic: MAD MAX  (Read 9718 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
MAD MAX
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
http://www.amcn.com.au/news/1506/10-mad-bikes-from-mad-max/

Film critics say George Miller’s Mad Max reboot will redefine action movies. Here’s the inside story on the motorcycles that have a starring role

Into the sandy hell of Fury Road roars a convoy of Aussie-built jalopies. Bouncing along beside them are squads of outriders on some of the trickest motorcycles you’re likely to see this year. They look like backyard lash-ups screwed together by bikers with a lust for raw adventure. For Aussie off-road legend Stephen Gall this has been a part of his life for the past two decades. Gall has travelled Fury Road with director George Miller’s core crew since way back in 2007.
He worked with stunt co-ordinator Guy Norris and production designer Colin Gibson to create a survivalist theme for vehicles used in the movie. “We ended up building 47 motorcycles in a converted bus terminal in Villawood, Sydney, alongside the film’s cars and trucks,” he says. “Initially we secured pre-production FZ1s and R1s off Yamaha Australia and fitted them with long swingarms, as used in American hillclimbing. “They had to look like bitsers, made up from scrounged materials, to suit the Mad Max image.”
The bikes were tested at Gall’s Gold Coast base and on a special dirt track outside Broken Hill in 2010.
“Eventually we settled on a range of Yamaha WR, YZ and Tenere 660 models with some special versions of the R1, a Honda Gold Wing and a Royal Enfield with a sidecar,” Gall says.
Yamaha provided most of the motorcycles and still owns 10 of them, as they are Australian pre-production models. Some of them can easily be turned back into standard form. A crew of up to half a dozen mechanics built the bikes and maintained them on the film set. As a rule, whenever there was a hero bike that would appear in front of the camera there would always be a duplicate ready as a spare. “Our chief mechanic was Matt Bromley (owner of DeVice Custom Motorcycles in Newcastle), who was in charge of the Villawood workshop and then spent most of 2012 with us on the set in Namibia in south-west Africa,” says Gall.

It was a huge operation, with a film crew totalling 1500 and a cast of 55 actors. “There were at least 100 stunt performers on the set and the energy was amazing,” he told AMCN. “When we weren’t filming, my stunt crew had their own jumping practice area where we’d be riding a YZ250 and FZ1000.” Here Gall explains exclusively to AMCN readers, the major motorcycles featured in what has already become one of the year’s most popular and talked-about films...

To see the bikes and read all about them, grab yourself a copy of AMCN Vol 64 No 24 out from 11 June, or available for digital download from 10 June.

Get your Australian Motorcycle News

BIKES CAN BE Seen in Moorebank 26th June NSW

http://www.trooperlu.com.au/

Best is in the West !!

Offline N22

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: MAD MAX
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
My mates nephew,Tristan Carrigan from Goondiwindi,was one of the stunt team in Mad Max.Tristan was a driver in the Holden Precision Driving Team,and had done some rally driving in his spare time,his mate,who was doing some driving in the Movie,gave his country mate a call,to see if he was interested in a trip to the desert,to do a bit of driving.He was sworn to secrecy,and could only talk about his adventure after the Movie came out.From the photos,it looks like he was doubling for Charlize Theron,he is now back farming,sitting on a tractor that thinks for itself,with auto steer,at least he has some good pub stories to tell!
If you are not living on the Edge,you are taking up to much Space!!

BSA Gold Flash,Triumph Bonnevile,DT250A,YZ250B,PE250a.YZ125D,RM125C,RM125N,RM125X,IT175H,IT250G,03CRF250X,07CRF450X,O8CRF250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
Best is in the West !!

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
I'm too old for all that epic battle stuff, the non stop action/fights/explosions left me bored. I nearly walked out a couple of times. Is it aimed at the kiddies? Did anybody else find it way over the top?

Offline Berwick Boy

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
  I thought it was crap.  The stupid truck was in just about every shot
over the whole two hours.  Which became tedious.

Tom Hardy is a bankable and superb actor.  But he can't do an Australian
accent.  So he wasn't given any lines.  When he finally started
talking (some 30 mins in), it was almost unintelligible. Farcical.

Ironically ... the original (36 years old) is still interesting to watch (I reckon).

All the vehicle builders did a great job.  So much work went into that.

I'd hate to see their bill for shifting everything - and everyone - over to
Namibia after our desert got rained out.
  My yardstick for a good movie is when I come out of cinema fully wired,
and wanting to see it again.  Or thinking: "Gee, I must urge so-and-so to
go see this!"  After Fury Max, I just went home.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
Yes love the Mad max movies but this last one is for a all new ordinance. The stunts are incredible but the storie line and failure to carry on with the past movies have made it somewhat of a new generation pleaser. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »

Sometime in 1979/80, Clayton Drive-in, my XY 2V250 GS (the 351 went in not long after), the girl friend and Mad Max. What a great place to watch a movie like that !

2015, well I've seen it now....with my 15 year old son.

He loved it...l remember that night at drive-in  ;D

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
I liked it..my head was still reeling from the sound 2 days after..sensory overload is how I best describe it 8)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:55:48 PM »
Watched it on a Bali disk (suppose I could go to jail now for copyright).
Reminded me of the low budget grain and audio in home movies. Will definitely watch it again with better quality.
Truly a futuristic science fiction pic with a touch of Lord of the Rings for me.

Still love the movies when you can walk away from weaponry like that.
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
I know I'll never go into battle again without a guitarist and at least four drummers... 8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
I did like the guitarist, I was laughing out loud, drew a few "Shut up you old fart, that's not meant to be funny" stares.

Offline Ekka

• Legend
  • Go hard or go home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »
Didn't like it disappointed in the story , I to laughed at the guitarist at first it was like ftw

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
i liked it,slightly twisted, guitarist/band was tko at the end too, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
I can't believe the crappest movie ever made cost so much. Unfortunately that's an hour & a half I'll never get back.
K

Offline tymes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
I think that the original first two are excellent and the third one was the biggest load of crap ever screened.
I enjoyed the new one, I thought it was an excellent portrayal of a world gone wrong and all that was normal had been either forgotten or twisted which it did much better than beyond thunderdome.
I dont mind modern remakes and originals alike, so its easier for me to take in. I didnt find any need to connect the story with the original, I just watched it told in a different way.
Characters like Wez, The Knight Rider, Feral Kid ect will allways have there place in the original movies.